• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I figured that I would just start a sous vide thread since I've been using the immersion circulator like crazy. It's no wonder that top chefs throughout the world are using this technique. The textures and flavors are that come out are amazing. Precision temperature cooking makes for predicable and repeatable results. It's great for infusing spices and herbs into foods as they're vacuum sealed inside.

If you're interested in trying it and don't want to buy any expensive equipment, all you need is a thermometer, a spare cooler and a ziplock freezer bag. This method works great for fish or tender cuts of beef. For fish heat the water to 125-130 degrees F and pour into the cooler. Place your fish in a ziplock bag and using the water immersion technique leave the top of the bag open while you submerge the fish so that the water pressure forces the air out of the bag. Once the air is out and you're nearing the top of the bag, close it up and clip it or tape it down to the side of the cooler and close the lid. For beef try water at 129 F (rare), 136 F(med rare), 140-150 F (medium to well). Sear in a very hot pan, or finish under a very hot broiler or grill.

Here's a few things I've done with it and I welcome anyone else's experiences, opinions, or ideas. 

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Breast with 'Rice and Peas' and Fried Plantains

7DtbvDp.jpg

Miso Tilefish with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

GVVfQKl.jpg

Ribeye with the Perfect Egg Yolk
vc0OVwi.jpg

XOc7aZb.jpg

Too hot, too hot!

55-59C ...

52.5-54C if you plan to sear it well over intense heat.

And, three hours should cover you, I think ...

They look like ~1.5-1.75" thick or so, right? ...

grantmichaels said:
Too hot, too hot!

55-59C ...

52.5-54C if you plan to sear it well over intense heat.

And, three hours should cover you, I think ...

They look like ~1.5-1.75" thick or so, right? ...

Then I go at 54ºc, thanks

They are 1.25~1.5"

cypresshill1973 said:

Then I go at 54ºc, thanks

They are 1.25~1.5"

You should be fine at 2-3 hours, with that. Then, sear it off ...

Yum!
bierz said:
56 C on some lamb chops tonight. I rubbed with salt and pepper and tossed in some rosemary sprigs from the garden and  some garlic. Roasted some cauliflower with local Epic Spices Mediterranean Spice and lots of habanero powder. 

20613788996_11d99a1a5c_b.jpg

Nice, man.

I still haven't had lamb, so I can't relate specifically, but soon ...

Pretty plate, though, and nice capture ...

So as of today, my personal brisket has been brined for 7 days. It's very thin, maybe 1" thick. I'm doing 50C for 24 hrs instead of what chef steps said, doing it for 48 hrs. Figured since it's half as thick it should take half as long. Maybe i'll go 36 hrs. Anyways, I had some nice thick short ribs that I brined with it too. Did that for 12 hrs @ 70C then fished it off in the indoor smoker for 30 minutes. HOLY SHIT WAS THIS DELICIOUS. It reminded me of texturally of a nice thick cuts of brisket, but the taste reminded me of pastrami. I wish I took pictures, but we ate it all so fast. I completely forgot to glaze it with bbq sauce before the smoker, but honestly, that would probably have ruined it. I dipped it in sweet baby ray's and I preferred just the smoky meaty taste without it. I'll be sure to take pics of the corned beef / reuben that I make

grantmichaels said:
Herein lies a criminal lack of photo evidence.

Come on, man =)

I want to SEE that shit!
trust me, i'll be making it again. i know how much i suck and forgot the pics, but yea it got devoured lol was only 3 ribs too as a test 

BigB said:
trust me, i'll be making it again. i know how much i suck and forgot the pics, but yea it got devoured lol was only 3 ribs too as a test 

one of the 1st sous vide cooks for me, was the 72 hrs short ribs ...

they came out slimy, but the taste was incredible ...

these days I'd hit 'em w/ the Sz and call it a win ...

soon ... i've been really putting my energy into brewing for a few months, but i've brewed into all of my cold storage space now, so it's time to cook some shit in the coming weeks, i think ...

CHEERS!

I'm improvise a hot water to the SV. Putting the fire in very slow, so get to pan less heat. These was elevated 15cm from the burner to best control of heat.

Soon need a circulator, but this way I can control well the temp, although it requires constant attention.

2015-08-17%25252018.33.46.jpg

I finished to eat, was amazing... The perfect texture, the flavor really good!

Worth the work it takes...

Was cooked for 2:45hrs to 54~57ºc. I sealed on the plancha a few second per side for drying a bit the external juices and served.

2015-08-17%25252021.05.25.jpg

2015-08-17%25252021.06.02.jpg

2015-08-17%25252021.06.41.jpg

In my personal opinion, this is a too good to eat in home any time. I like eat this kind flavors in good restaurants.... Into the house we lost that magic. Although I know I will again.

cypresshill1973 said:
Yessss... Too good!
That looks fantastic.  Keep it up.

Tonight I'm cooking a 1.5 lb hanger steak.  Doing 55C for 3 hours.  I rubbed it with kosher salt, black pepper, habanero powder, cumin and olive oil. 

I also made the taco sauce seen in another thread and I'll post a follow up later.

20067109773_f893c6592c_b.jpg

20067109583_829ce10b1c_b.jpg

That "infinite" background by way of butcher paper manipulation made me LOL a lil' bit =)

Looks good, great cut of beef for sous vide, too!

That meat looks good!

I have a doubt... Is normal that bag will inflate when is heat?

The bags was filled with air, no too, I pressed strongly but nothing air going out, it remained well closed. For one moment I thinking that bag be pricked

cypresshill1973 said:
That meat looks good!

The bags was filled with air, no too, I pressed strongly but nothing air going out, it remained well closed. For one moment I thinking that bag be pricked

bierz can answer too, but i had that trouble this past weekend w/ sous vide figs for my brewing ...

fruits and veggies have tended to off-gas more than meat for me, but that's one night thing about the ziploc bags - you just grab the little pump and suck some more mid-cook ...

can't do that w/ the vac sealed bags, obviously ...

cypresshill1973 said:
That meat looks good!

My vacuum sealed bags have never shown signs of expansion.  After a few days of using ziplock, I'm certainly back into the sealer method.

This picture is weak, but it's a grilled tortilla, shredded cilantro and diced onion beneath the steak (which was fantastic), the taco sauce mentioned above, and that was topped with some lacto fermented jalapenos, avocado and shredded Monterrey jack cheese.  Lime squeezed on top.

20697810181_aa5c5a3b85_b.jpg

Back