• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Southerncanada's rain forest chilis 2013

This is my second year with a serious hot pepper growing addiction. I will be doing deck and greenhouse peppers this year and I have 9 varieties germinating. [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Thai dragons, scotch bonnets, red habaneros, anchos, pasilla bajio, cayenne, jalapeno, filius blue and serranos.[/background]

I am lucky enough to have southern exposure with lots of windows so some peppers will be grown with natural sunlight and some under t5 ho floros. I have one thai chili I started a few months ago that is grown under natural light on sunny days and floros on not so sunny days. I hand pollinate it on a daily basis lately and have already eaten pods.

photo3_zpse873c352.jpg
photo1_zpse88c6657.jpg
photo_zpseb7d928a.jpg

Lookin good. Nothing like good old fashioned free sunlight. My windows are all packed with plants. No peppers though. Good luck this year!

Southern exposure is a good source of light. With the T5 backing it up should give you some large plants.Good luck with your season

Its always nice when you get a surprise earlier than expected less than 7 days and I have Jalapeno and Serrano breaking through the soil, they are under the lights today as it is rainy.

Heres a shot of the Jal's
c2ee8cfb-addc-4e0e-8240-f04f2dd31409_zps612b80d7.jpg

After a not so patient wait, I have my first scotch bonnet's popping. My jalapenos are coming out strong and my anchos look like they are getting hooks. The red habs, cayenne, and thai dragon are doing well, I told them if they dried out I would repay them with a mild kelp solution ph of 6.5. I had a cell that I sowed two seeds in germ 2 seeds on the same day so I took one and added extra mycor to the cup the seeds will be part of a side by side control experiment under my t5's. I will be testing the early transplant with mycor added to the promix (as well as other factors TBD) vs being left in the cell and treated with the majority of my sprouts. This is the most active of my racks, the one out of sight has a 50 cell try and a 72 cell.

photo5_zps4bc4c1ad.jpg

Hi all, time for another update. I have at least one hook from all varieties, I have one flat that was a square 50 cell and it is seemingly lagging behind the 72's in planted a day or two later, I guess it retains less heat than the deeper cells. I am still waiting on the majority of my serrano, filius blue, and pasilla bajio.

I have some very nice looking indoor pods on my Thai Dragon, I'm wondering how much longer until they will be ripe.
image_zps5e456653.jpg

I have the first flat I sowed showing true leaves this has mostly red habanero, some thai chili in the square cells and few cayenne.
image_zps9e777cfb.jpg

Side angle of the same flat.
image_zpscda6ed65.jpg

My Jalapeno, scotch bonnet and ancho (right to left)

image_zps99a96a39.jpg

Time for another update, I have at least a few sprouts of all the varieties I have currently. I have done a quick count of how many cells I have planted and it looks like if I don't cull some of the weak ones I will have over 300 with more varieties on the way. I ended up culling some weak ones during the up pot but the flats I sowed later all look pretty uniform so far, so I don't know how much my numbers will go down. I am going to have to drastically reduce the amounts on tomatoes I start as a result, this I don't mind because I get them anywhere, at any time of year.

Today was round 1 of up potting, the first on the potting block.. Red Habs, Thai Chili, and Cayenne.
image_zps9964d896.jpg

My Scotch bonnets have some true leaves showing, Jalapenos are towering over them in the same flat..

image_zps5873441f.jpg

A scotch bonnet in a 1 oz beer cup look alike
image_zpsb4758f32.jpg

This is one of the first filius blue sprouts they all have a nice purple going.

image_zpsbb6695c9.jpg

Time for another update, I have at least a few sprouts of all the varieties I have currently. I have done a quick count of how many cells I have planted and it looks like if I don't cull some of the weak ones I will have over 300 with more varieties on the way. I ended up culling some weak ones during the up pot but the flats I sowed later all look pretty uniform so far, so I don't know how much my numbers will go down. I am going to have to drastically reduce the amounts on tomatoes I start as a result, this I don't mind because I get them anywhere, at any time of year.

Today was round 1 of up potting, the first on the potting block.. Red Habs, Thai Chili, and Cayenne.
image_zps9964d896.jpg

My Scotch bonnets have some true leaves showing, Jalapenos are towering over them in the same flat..

image_zps5873441f.jpg

A scotch bonnet in a 1 oz beer cup look alike
image_zpsb4758f32.jpg

This is one of the first filius blue sprouts they all have a nice purple going.

image_zpsbb6695c9.jpg

Mini update, my seedlings are all potted up and taking off. Today I noticed a flower forming on one of my cayennes. I have 9 flats of solo cups and a bunch of assorted yogurt cups. I will take more pics and post when things look more drastiaclly different from the ones I have already posted. I sowed the seeds from the package sent by Stefan. These additions will make the total number of varieties I have going 17.

The new varieties I have sown are

Giant jalapeno
Black jalapeno
Chocolate habanero
Sante fe grande
Fatalii
Aji chuncho
Blue mystery
Amish bush

I have a question about seedling drop off... My serranos and fillus in particular have been the worst hit by this problem, im pretty sure im not over watering. So my plants got the first set of true leaves or more then I transplant, then gradually over three days a few have lost the cotyledons and withered and died. Then when I pull them the subterranean stem is pinched below soil line. Is it common to loose a few here and there to transplant shock or is it possible to have fungus gnat larvae damage kill that quickly? I dont have many gnats but the common few associated with pro mix. So far I have lost 1/42 red habs, 2/ 20 filius blue, 1/ 30 jal, and 2/ 24 serrano. I am using a mycorrize innoculant, pro mix, and a low dose of botanicare cal mag so far. I used kelp fert when transplanting on my cayenne, thai and red habs and it didnt seem to do any harm. I also control ph to 6 - 6.5. I culled and composted before I really thought anything of it, but based on the description any ideas on the issue? If it happens again and I hope it doesnt I will take pics.

Past years I havent really done this kind of scale for peppers or had an over winter indoor project so I haven't ever really had any significant problems. But with most things in horticulture/ agricultre with large scale comes large scale problems.

Back