• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

SouthernYooper's Sacrifice upon the Altar of Chili

Alright, well after a night of debauchery I woke up feeling pretty damn groggy. So I thought to myself, "What would be a good way to spend this rainy day?" "Make some fricken epic chili and take pictures for the peeps on THP!" Now when I make chili I follow a certain outline. Some days I will not deviate from that outline and make my standard chili. Other days I will start be-boppin around and try some new stuff. Today was a be-boppin sort of day. So I head on over to the local supermarket and gather up the required ingredients for my wicked potion of meat, spices, and chile's.

So let's start off with the magic formula.
List of known offenders: 1 Anaheim Pepper, 1 Green Bell, 1 Red Bell, 1 Hot Banana Pepper, 3 Jalapeno's, 10 Thai Peppers(from the garden of evil) with the possible collaboration of one Bhut Jolokia a.k.a "The Ghost Pepper".

List of known accomplices: 2 Whole tomatoes from a produce stand near a farm. 4 Tomatillos. 2 medium onions. 8 cloves of gaahlic. 2 limes. 1 pound of Jimmy Dean's Hot Breakfast Sausage. 2.5 Pounds of Ground Beef. 1lb. of BACON. 1 can of each of the following beans: black, kidney, and chili. 1 oz. cumin, 1 oz. New Mexico Chili Powder, 1 oz. California Chili Powder, 1 tbls. of white pepper powder, Dashes of paprika and cinnamon. A punch of brown sugar. A dollop of peanut butter. A handful of blueberries. 2 cans of Hunt's Tomato Sauce. 20 oz.'s or so of chicken stock. 1 can of chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. A few tears from Justin Beiber (100$ on ebay, which has to be used in order to mend everything together)
zachary022.jpg

Dude....

Chili.....in South Carolina.....in the middle of SUMMER???

What....are you trying to spontaneously combust? :crazy: Why not just set yourself on fire and dive into a giant tank of gasoline?

:rofl:

So I start to think of what kind of audible chocolate I want to caress my lobes. Should I do a TB sorta thing and chill to some bluesy guitar rock or a country thing because I'm located in the south, some hip-hop in honor of all my fallen homies? Then.....I notice something out of my periph...... Something......dark. Something evil........... Something that has been known to make grown men cry and decide to listen to Lady Gaga. I pick it up to examine this "being of hopelessness". Small and wrinkled, it has an affect not unlike "The Precious" on Gollum. I feel my soul begin to blacken.
zachary024.jpg

No. Blues, Country, Rap will not due. Not today. Not with this batch. No, I need something powerful. Something that beckons the 7th circle of hell. Something that fills the air with shredding guitars, pounding double bass, and guttural screams. No, today shall be a day of death.....metal that is. "Set the Ipod to Amon Amarth and don't look back", I tell myself with a devil's grin. As soon as the Viking Metal starts it's charge, I head full on into a foray of blades and fire. Slicing and dicing my way to oblivion. I'm at the point of no return.
zachary027.jpg

The veggies have met their fate and marinate in a boiling cauldron of chicken stock and half a pound of BACON. Simmered for 25 to 30 minutes.

zachary026.jpg

The dust that makes it come alive. I don't use all of it. I mix all the spices and fold it, stir it, and mix it all up. Then use what I need as I go.

zachary025.jpg

zachary030.jpg

Beans are added. Pork and beef go next. This is a heat loving, carnivore's dish.

zachary031.jpg

I taste a cup of it to see what I can add. I decide to throw in some bluberries for the hell of it. A spoonful of peanut butter. A punch of brown sugar. The peanut butter really evened out the overall taste. Helped balance everything.

Sounds very tasty, quite a few ingredients that I've never seen or heard of in chili. Sure would like to try a bowl. :beer: :onfire:

Dude....

Chili.....in South Carolina.....in the middle of SUMMER???

What....are you trying to spontaneously combust? :crazy: Why not just set yourself on fire and dive into a giant tank of gasoline?

:rofl:

Dude.....it's rainy, 75 degrees, and I'm hungover and chilling in A/C. Not really that crazy.

lookin' good Yoop..waitin' for the money shot...]

***when in doubt for tunes...ZZTop rulz***

zachary032.jpg

Well there it is. It's been simmering pretty much all day. Leftovers tomorrow should be even better. Tastes pretty damn good. The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and the peanut butter were the key to this batch. Seems weird but damn did it turn out tasty. Anyway, a few key notes: My little brother Dallas was over while I was making all this. He dared to try every pepper I used. Besides the Bhut, which actually didn't make it in there because the heat seemed good. Now this may not seem like much but this little twerp of a younger brother is the pickiest kid who never tries a thing. He eats a chunk of a fresh Thai and needs some ice cream :)

Yeah AJ, ZZ is some good tunes, just went with the death metal for the "story" if you will. lol I was in a nerdy mood.

Paulky, yeah I know. I probably should've thrown an "lol" in there so ya knew it was all good in the hood. :D

Anyway, hope y'all enjoyed the visions and words of my day of hungover chili makin.

SY

Nice work SY!!! and oh btw...GO BLUE!!! Hail to the Victors!!!! I saw the place mat and you just gained 100 cool points! :cool:

Awesome looking stuff you got there. Sounds delicious. Ill have to try it out sometime. Tonight Im making some fatalii pot roast. Ive had a 7lb chunk of beef for the roast marinating for 3 days. Muahahahah. chopped up some fataliis to throw in.

When you gonna try some of that bhut? Tempting isnt it. Like its calling your name in an evil whispery way right?

I haven't tried any of it. Not sure what i'm going to do with it. I almost want to try half but it'd probably kill me. lol. I might make a Four Horseman burger tomorrow. :)

Sounds very tasty, quite a few ingredients that I've never seen or heard of in chili. Sure would like to try a bowl. :beer: :onfire:

Your right. I was looking through the pantry and wanted to try something different. Saw the Jiffy Peanut Butter. Plopped some in there. Can't taste it, but you can tell that it changed the complexity of the chili. THe brown sugar also helps take the "bite" of the lemon juice and saltyness. Overall I think this turned out very well. I don't measure my seasonings as I just add. Simmer. Taste. Repeat if needed. There's a bowl here for ya :D

Your right. I was looking through the pantry and wanted to try something different. Saw the Jiffy Peanut Butter. Plopped some in there. Can't taste it, but you can tell that it changed the complexity of the chili. THe brown sugar also helps take the "bite" of the lemon juice and saltyness. Overall I think this turned out very well. I don't measure my seasonings as I just add. Simmer. Taste. Repeat if needed. There's a bowl here for ya :D

Might have to try the PB some day. Looks very tasty, thanks for sharing. I'm on my way, lol :dance:

Dont remember. Did you get any of the dry ones I have? I have a good handful more if you wanna go ahead and play with that one. Ill get a few more off to ya to try out in your culinary escapades. Fun Fun.

Back