• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sownseeds 2011 grow log

Hello everyone, im kinda new to growing chillies but would like to share a few pics of my babies.
All my seeds I have bought from neil from the hippy seed company and this season I have taken neils advice on soil mix, simple but effective.

I found that I had the best germ rates by Preheating the jiffys then droping the seeds straight into the preheated jiffys , seeds germed 2 days faster .
Don’t ask me why and only took 6 days.

The bigger plants were started on the 3rd sept .

This is my grow log for this season.

Bhut Jolokia
T.Scorpion Butch T
Tabasco
Super chilli f1
Yellow 7 pod
Red Habs
Orange Habs
Choc Habs
Douglahs
Fatali
Naga jolokia (seeds I saved from some pods neil sent me)

My babies first day in the sun
IMG_3686.jpg

Yellow 7 Pod
IMG_3702.jpg

T.Scorpion Butch T
IMG_3691.jpg

Tabasco
IMG_3705.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
IMG_3695.jpg

Just a few red capsicums
IMG_3710.jpg

One mistake i made last season was to stick half of my plants in pots in the front yard only to wake up and see that they had gone
walkabout, to many went missing for them to carry in one load , so they would of done a few nightime runs id say.
Why would anyone steal chilli plants.

I forgot to add to the list a few manzano seedlings that i got from bunnings, but knowing bunnings they could turn out to be anything.

Ahhh my daughter was skipping with her skipping rope and let go of one of the handles and it took the grow top of one of the scoprions butch t ..
Can any of you guys tell me what are some good nuts to be feeding them once they get bigger , i was going for worm juice and chilli focus , any others worth looking at?

Can any of you guys tell me what are some good "nuts" to be feeding them once they get bigger ,

Well when they open their mouths, and start yelling "Feed Me, Feed Me" you can throw in some "Almonds"......they're pretty nutritious......haha

But seriously, I use "liquid Kelp" for promoting strong roots, "Fish Emulsion" for the nitro factor, "Epsom Salts" in a spray bottle as a foliar spray of magnisum, there are other products in the U.S. sold at the grow shops that help, too many to mention....
Your plants look healthy, a little of "this or that" will go a long way, be careful with the amount of "nutes" or " nuts" ...used.....ha
Good luck

Ahhh my daughter was skipping with her skipping rope and let go of one of the handles and it took the grow top of one of the scoprions butch t ..
Can any of you guys tell me what are some good nuts to be feeding them once they get bigger , i was going for worm juice and chilli focus , any others worth looking at?
If you're using Neil's mix, surely you added the Dynamic Lifter, right? ;)

That should sustain them for at least a few months—at which point I usually just reapply a handful around each plant and dig it in a little. I also like to hit 'em with some Triple Boost (Worm, Fish, Seasweed) every couple weeks too—they seem to really like that.

If you're using Neil's mix, surely you added the Dynamic Lifter, right? ;)

That should sustain them for at least a few months—at which point I usually just reapply a handful around each plant and dig it in a little. I also like to hit 'em with some Triple Boost (Worm, Fish, Seasweed) every couple weeks too—they seem to really like that.
I didnt use any dynamic lifter in the mix for the small pots but yeh was going to use it in the mix when potting them up , i have been using the same as neils mix for tomatos with lifter and they are flying along.

Your plants look great. What sort of lights did you have them under when they were starting?

Gas - so you give them the triple boost and the dynamic lifter at the same time? It sounds like too much. It's obviously working though :P

edit: I'm using Neil's mix and I only put a little bit of rooster booster in it because the potting soil, sam one as he used, already had some fertilizer in it.

I didnt use any dynamic lifter in the mix for the small pots but yeh was going to use it in the mix when potting them up , i have been using the same as neils mix for tomatos with lifter and they are flying along.
Yeah, I get a little paranoid about going too hard with the stuff while my plants are still young but I find around 750ml of the pellets per batch for my first pot-ups still does the trick. I think I remember Neil telling me that he does 1.5L per batch from word go but I figure if 750ml still works for me then I'm saving myself a little dosh. Keep in mind though that I do start watering with 1/2 strength Triple Boost at this stage also.

Sometimes I use Brunnings Tomato Magic for my first pot-ups too if I see it on a good special. As it has blood and bone already in it, I don't worry about the Dynamic Lifter and just water with Triple Boost.

Gas - so you give them the triple boost and the dynamic lifter at the same time? It sounds like too much. It's obviously working though :P
Yeah, the Triple Boost is pretty mild stuff but still effective. As Dynamic Lifter already contains fishmeal and seaweed, I only really use it* for the benefits of the wormly goodness. Worm juice is so hard to find up here!

EDIT:

*the Triple Boost that is.

Hi guys i went to bunnings to buy some pots and they wanted like 9 bucks each , so i said stuff that and looked at the company online , went there today and got 60 x 330 mm pots for 2 bucks each.
Add that up and its a huge saving and i can use them year after year.

Which company and where is it? I could do with some good pots. The buckets I drilled holes in just aren't cutting it for some reason.

Yeh megamoo its the company that supplies bunnings , ill give you the link , click on large pots and i got the new style 330 mm pots.
New Style! 330mm Slimline
Code: P330SL
Size: 330mm x 265mm
Volume: 19 Litres
Pack: 15

http://www.gardencityplastics.com/index.htm

Its worth the drive there if buying in bulk..

Yeah, I get a little paranoid about going too hard with the stuff while my plants are still young but I find around 750ml of the pellets per batch for my first pot-ups still does the trick. I think I remember Neil telling me that he does 1.5L per batch from word go but I figure if 750ml still works for me then I'm saving myself a little dosh. Keep in mind though that I do start watering with 1/2 strength Triple Boost at this stage also.

Sometimes I use Brunnings Tomato Magic for my first pot-ups too if I see it on a good special. As it has blood and bone already in it, I don't worry about the Dynamic Lifter and just water with Triple Boost.

Yeah, the Triple Boost is pretty mild stuff but still effective. As Dynamic Lifter already contains fishmeal and seaweed, I only really use it for the benefits of the wormly goodness. Worm juice is so hard to find up here!
Gas last year all i did for all my veggies was a small amount of dynamic lifter into the watering can , fill it up and leave it over night to turn to a slurry then water it in like that , seemed to work a treat.

Gas last year all i did for all my veggies was a small amount of dynamic lifter into the watering can , fill it up and leave it over night to turn to a slurry then water it in like that , seemed to work a treat.
Believe it or not, I have actually thought about trying that just for something different but have so far yet to give it a burl.

Another thing I'm doing this season is experimenting with last seasons spent soil. I saved a big old tub of it (probably around 100L of spent soil) and added a 25L bag of composted mixed manure (cow and chicken), Yates Professional Blood & Bone, and some perlite (just to makes sure it is drains nice and well). The other thing is that I found piles of worms in my pots at the end of last season so hoping that would have added some goodness to the mix. Will do my first pot-ups with it soon and keep my fingers-crossed.

Believe it or not, I have actually thought about trying that just for something different but have so far yet to give it a burl.

Another thing I'm doing this season is experimenting with last seasons spent soil. I saved a big old tub of it (probably around 100L of spent soil) and added a 25L bag of composted mixed manure (cow and chicken), Yates Professional Blood & Bone, and some perlite (just to makes sure it is drains nice and well). The other thing is that I found piles of worms in my pots at the end of last season so hoping that would have added some goodness to the mix. Will do my first pot-ups with it soon and keep my fingers-crossed.
Yeh mate i can recall reading were neil throws all his soil from the pots into a compost pile . all the roots would just break down . another thing i have been doing for the last few weeks
is i made a bakashi bin out of 2 buckets and already i have some bakashi juice flowing to the bottom bucket to mix up for plantfood.

A pile of small holes drilled in the bottom of the top bucket and a tap to drain the bakashi juice from the bottom bucket , it works a treat. Just throw all kitchen scraps in the top bucket
and within a few weeks it breaks down to make plant food.
IMG_0224.jpg

Back