• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Spain Growing

Hi, New here, I have been growing for past two years here in Spain, have had some initial good results, this years new seedlings / plants really bad.
I generally do not have problems germinating seeds.
Beginning of this year I had at least 15 - 20 super hot verities that I germinated in the small square cardboard grow pots that they use for growing dope, 95% of all seeds germinated, (I used heat mat and then grow light as temperature was not hot enough and sometimes sun here is too fierce for the smaller seedlings) Planted out and all except about 5 ish plants died. The ones that survived are all stunted. I believe that the cardboard pots contributed to this as they hold the water round the roots and also dry out too quickly thus stunting and then killing the seedlings. Wont be using them ever again!
Have gone back to my old method of plastic cup with cling film over top to create self contained atmosphere.
Have had good results but some of the new seedlings (which I have put under light as sun too hot here at moment) leaves have started to curl up. (Like too much direct heat)
Light is good three foot above them and I moved them when I saw curling but they have not recovered. (Will post photos)  Thing to note it is very hot here at the moment so I have tried giving them little more ventilation and moved them away from the light. Still not recovered. I have also been spraying all seedlings to water them once per day. Soil appears to be very dry when watering.
Established plants (Three habanero's) I have on roof terrace leaves are curling inward (I think form the heat) but still producing fruit. (have had a lot this year from them) The Serrano's that I have had from last year whilst producing fruit have been very poor with little or no leaves. I have been using Chilli Focus fertilizer. (Last year great results this year, as I said bad)
I would appreciate any advice, input or help.
I look forward to hearing from you
Regards
G

I am guessing you are germinating inside, from your description. I understand "too hot" as I am originally from Houston, TX, which is in the subtropics. When you have days on end over 99F, it's almost unbearable. But here's the thing - you have to think about what happens in nature. Birds are basically immune to the heat of chiles, so they may swallow seeds and poop them out anywhere, some in full sun. Plus, farmers grow in fields in full sun. The point is that plants that are sprouted in full sun from the very beginning have no problems being in full sun, as long as you can keep the moisture levels appropriate. But, even with that, using some shade cloth is a good ideal during the peak of the hot season. 

When you sprout indoors, however, you must very gradually acclimate the plants to the outdoors, through the "hardening off" process. There are many posts on this site about hardening off. However, the general process is to first take them outside in a spot that is shaded and largely protected from the wind. At first you may only be able to take them outside for a half hour, if the sun and temps are too much. After they get used to to that, start increasing their exposure to sun and wind by placing them in different places for gradually longer periods of time. Generally once they can handle 6 to 8 hours outside, they're good to go for the whole day. Again, shade cloth isn't a bad idea.

One more thing - If germinating indoors, make sure they have lights and a fan on them from the very beginning. The fan will simulate the wind, which will help make it easier to bring them outside and strengthens their stems. If you can start them in a sunny window, that will also help reduce the hardening off time.

Hi geeme, thanks for reply.
Yes I am germinating indoors but have not had fan on, lights are only on for couple of hours in the afternoon as room is fairly bright. Have started to open window and door to let air circulate. Is very hot at the moment. Seedlings with curled leaves do not appear to be reviving. Will just have to germinate some more if they die.
I agree with you and my thoughts have been the same re nature and full sun, have not used a shade cloth yet but may do over next few weeks when I am planting seedlings out into pots. Is very, very hot on my roof terrace. Hardest thing I have found is getting the watering routine right, it has been the case of either giving them too much or not enough..... So they die either way!
Last year was better, I just chucked the seeds in the pots and left them, this year I am trying to get it right....(Big Mistake!)
I have had some good results with red and yellow Habaneros also Serranos this year. They have both been very picante!
Made some good sauces, salsas, jerk marinades and curry bases from them, also started to freeze some of the habs for winter
Will keep posted. Once again thanks for input.
Regards
G

Back