• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Special tools of the trade

I am a machinist, and as such I know how everyone in the shop has their own "special tools" that make our lives easier. Be it hand-made or something used for a purpose other than it's origional intent, they become part of our routine and indespensable.

I'm curious what tools we have come up with. I am a definate first-timer to the "from seed" group. I have found one that I will keep in my bag of goodies for next year.

In planting my first 72 pot tray I looked around for someway to get those tiny pepper seeds right where I wanted them. I found that an orange peeler worked great. The end opposite the blade is a semi-thin, semi-pointed, curved piece of plastic. It was perfect to gently move the grow pellet soil so I could place a seed right where I wanted.

So if you will part with your secrets, (we would almost kill over some of our gadgets and gizmos!).......what do you all have?

Here are some of my favorites!!!

imagesCAUW8P9W.jpg

imagesCAGHF549.jpg

imagesCAWFF0I1.jpg

They work for EVERYTHING!!!

:beer:

:cheers:

To place seeds in a 72 cell flat I keep a shot glass with about 1/8 inch of water and a chopstick standing in it. I pour the seeds in a small plate and use the moistened chopstick to pickup, place and press the seed into the medium. Then I use a funnel to pour the unused seed back in the bag and repeat for the next variety.

SS, that's basically what I did with the orange peeler. A dab of water and the seeds stick like glue.

NTCJ, I'm cool with the Blue Moon and Flat Tire but Newcastle gives me heartburn...if you have some Sam Adams Octoberfest I'm there in 45min, work be damned! Lol =)

Got a cold Becks Dark as we speak.

I'm in the process of making holding trays for 18 ounce Solo cups. They will hold 12 cups each to make watering and moving around easier. If I had more money to burn and less time on my hands, I would buy extra deep square pots and trays to pot up to like some people here use. Tomorrow I will have 9 trays done and ready for 108 plants. I will post a pic when I get them done.

I'm in the process of making holding trays for 18 ounce Solo cups. They will hold 12 cups each to make watering and moving around easier. If I had more money to burn and less time on my hands, I would buy extra deep square pots and trays to pot up to like some people here use. Tomorrow I will have 9 trays done and ready for 108 plants. I will post a pic when I get them done.

Great idea, can you share a little more on these please. (pics) ?

I use a pair of medical hemostats to plant seeds such as peppers, tomatoes, and similar size ones. They also work good to dig out the tiny root balls of tender transplants.

Mike

chop sticks work great and a pair of bent tweezers work, had some old knives ground sides flat work great for mini shovel.

Back