• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spell Check for Message Boards

I was always hoping that the next generation of message board software would include a spell check, but alas, it hasn't happened, to my knowledge.

What you can do, if you use Firefox is go to the Google home page and click on "more" then "even more". There you will find the Google toolbar that you can download. Among other nifty features it allows you to spell check anything you type into a field on a website.

Now I don't have to look so stupid!

Thanks to my wife for telling me about this.

find it here:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

chuk hell said:
I was always hoping that the next generation of message board software would include a spell check, but alas, it hasn't happened, to my knowledge.

What you can do, if you use Firefox is go to the Google home page and click on "more" then "even more". There you will find the Google toolbar that you can download. Among other nifty features it allows you to spell check anything you type into a field on a website.

Now I don't have to look so stupid!

Thanks to my wife for telling me about this.

find it here:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

Google toolbar has a spell check for IE, and if you dont use google toolbar you can get ieSpell which is a free plugin for IE.

http://www.iespell.com/

Don't put the google toolbar onto your computer. By doing that it leaves you very vulnerable to infomation gathering, spam, and other nefarious things. Best bet is if you don't know how to spell a word, just type it into google's search bar and then a "did you mean..." page will open next. Also, use Word's spell checker.

Vbulletin does include a spell checker, I assume by your post that it doesn't work in firefox though. I know it doesn't work in opera unfortunately. I hate toolbars though, I think I'll just run the risk of making spelling mistakes.

imaguitargod said:
Don't put the google toolbar onto your computer. By doing that it leaves you very vulnerable to information gathering, spam, and other nefarious things.

When you install it there's an opt out option on the info gathering deal.

Can you elaborate on the "spam and other nefarious things"?

I really don't care if they gather info on me. I'm pretty boring! But let me know if there is a real reason this should concern me other than the general "creeping big brother" deal.

Nope, just the creeping big brother on this one. There's ALOT of info out there on the "big bad" google. Best bet is...oddly enough...do some google searching on google to gain info.

chuk hell said:
When you install it there's an opt out option on the info gathering deal.

Can you elaborate on the "spam and other nefarious things"?

I really don't care if they gather info on me. I'm pretty boring! But let me know if there is a real reason this should concern me other than the general "creeping big brother" deal.

I once put the Google Toolbar on my comp here at work and it immediately screwed up my system....once i uninstalled it, i had to go back and delete all this crazy stuff it loaded into my comp, like all this entertainment crap and such. It took me about a week to get my system back to 100%, and so i'll never use it again

I haven't downloaded the new Firefox yet. Is it available for mac? I usually get an auto update....guess I'll head on over.

Anija said:
I haven't downloaded the new Firefox yet. Is it available for mac? I usually get an auto update....guess I'll head on over.

on another forum i post on, they talked about it being somewhat difficult to install. (i cant imagine this...) they said something about having to uninstall FF 1.5x and installing 2.0

that said, ill probably update it anyway, because i havent run linux updates in 2 weeks..

I don't think Firefox 2.0 is out for mac yet. I had to upgrade to 1.5.0.7 ( yeah, ridiculous) to install the google toolbar.

chuk hell said:
I don't think Firefox 2.0 is out for mac yet. I had to upgrade to 1.5.0.7 ( yeah, ridiculous) to install the google toolbar.

I asked about it here and it would seem like it is out and that there are no problems with it installing correctly.

Apparently FF2 will highlight words as you type them if you spell them wrong. Sort of like Word. I need to get around to installing it, when I get time.

ross said:
on another forum i post on, they talked about it being somewhat difficult to install. (i cant imagine this...) they said something about having to uninstall FF 1.5x and installing 2.0

that said, ill probably update it anyway, because i havent run linux updates in 2 weeks..

it was a breeze for me...not even the slightest hang up. it took a little getting used to the fact that they moved the close tab x from the right side onto each tab.

Back