• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

I would be willing to grow a few things for you next season if you need people. I am still new to peppers but I'd love to give it a go.  I'm more interested in the crossing the whole heat hype. Actually just received a couple packs of seed with your name on it from a fella on fb named Pepper T Sherwood. 

something geared more towards taste than heat and isn't something you hear of every day on peppers groups and here would interest me quite a bit

like this seems interested and they're  not something I hear every day

Aji Cristal x Cumari Pollux

I received some cumari pollux seeds recently from wayright on here to grow out next year. 

Ok, edit, I just checked back in my messages.  I think someone received some seed from one of my crosses, he said Carbon Bhut x Y7... so it's probably a descendant of that...

Should be interesting to see what it looks like if you grow it out and keep a glog in 2014.

ha I have assumed since the day I received them that they were something you created.  Been following this thread since I joined here since one of my first searches was on crossing. 

One is marked  "Spicegiest" carbon bhut x yellow 7

and the other is marked spicegiest x orange habanero

Hmm, might add these to the ile of "not sure I want to grow or not" since I don't actually know the history of them.  I've been trying to keep tabs on my stuff when I get it.  I even want to try a couple crosses myself next year and already have one planned and a name for it later down the line.  Tried to cross this year for practice using the fatalii.net guide  but failed. 

Browning said:
ha I have assumed since the day I received them that they were something you created.  Been following this thread since I joined here since one of my first searches was on crossing. 

One is marked  "Spicegiest" carbon bhut x yellow 7

and the other is marked spicegiest x orange habanero

Hmm, might add these to the ile of "not sure I want to grow or not" since I don't actually know the history of them.  I've been trying to keep tabs on my stuff when I get it.  I even want to try a couple crosses myself next year and already have one planned and a name for it later down the line.  Tried to cross this year for practice using the fatalii.net guide  but failed. 

Okay, I did not create an orange habanero cross.  I think someone is just confused?  Not sure.

I should come up with a holographic stamp that says "Official Spicegeist Cross" ;) .

is the other yours?  The Spicegiest in quotes on the carbon bhut cross are as if they did indeed come from you.  The other implies spicegiest being a variety and not a name of a breeder. I have only had a few peppers in my life and so far I have realized I don't care for habanero and I didn't like chocolate scotch bonnet nor brown moruga so I am guessing the brown/chocolates must all have the same earthy type taste to them.

Browning said:
is the other yours?  The Spicegiest in quotes on the carbon bhut cross are as if they did indeed come from you.  The other implies spicegiest being a variety and not a name of a breeder. I have only had a few peppers in my life and so far I have realized I don't care for habanero and I didn't like chocolate scotch bonnet nor brown moruga so I am guessing the brown/chocolates must all have the same earthy type taste to them.

I have no idea about those seeds Browning, sorry.  I don't even want to start deciphering someone else's labeling.  Outside of trading with people who've been on here (or similar forums) for a while, have kept glogs, get involved with an occasional discussion... in other words, people who have some level of transparency, I can't begin to guess what people might be doing.

Not all browns taste the same, there's only one way to find out which do it for you...  I'm not a big fan of choco habs, but a lot of people are.  I really like choco bhuts.

Spicegeist said:

I have no idea about those seeds Browning, sorry.  I don't even want to start deciphering someone else's labeling.  Outside of trading with people who've been on here (or similar forums) for a while, have kept glogs, get involved with an occasional discussion... in other words, people who have some level of transparency, I can't begin to guess what people might be doing.

Not all browns taste the same, there's only one way to find out which do it for you...  I'm not a big fan of choco habs, but a lot of people are.  I really like choco bhuts.
Thanks.  I will toss these in the garbage.  I already have a pile I am considering not growing.  I don't want to grow things that can't be traced so to speak.  I've got some awesome seed on here already. 

I won't really know what I like and dislike until the end of next year.  Not too long of a wait.  I've been growing veggies for a few years now and this year is the first for peppers. I was sent plants but it was already late in the year so they'll be overwintered. 

I was serious above when I mentioned if you need another to grow out some of your crosses.  I also understand I'm new and haven't proven myself in the pepper community on the ability to grow or not.  Hell just look at the seed I was given, that I now know aren't yours.  It's easy to see how things can turn up that aren't what they appear to be. Glad I asked and got the answer on those before I wasted time and space on them come Spring lol. 

They might be great seeds for some kick-ass peppers, I'm just saying I can't vouch for their provenance.  If you have them and are curious, go ahead and give them a try.

I'll have plenty of seed to share, I'm really overflowing with way more than I can ever grow.. in probably a month or two I'll post something about sharing some seed... I'll let you know...

I don't feel right growing something that's got a mans name on it he doesn't even know about.  I'll shoot the guy a message and see what he can tell me about them.

Sounds good thanks again.  If you have any doubts by all means tell me no I won't hold it against you.  Thanks for answering my questions by the way.

Browning said:
I don't feel right growing something that's got a mans name on it he doesn't even know about.  I'll shoot the guy a message and see what he can tell me about them.

Sounds good thanks again.  If you have any doubts by all means tell me no I won't hold it against you.  Thanks for answering my questions by the way.

Yeah, I understand, thanks for asking me about it.  There's a lot of seed trading, name confusion, and of course creativity.  I've never called a pepper "spicegeist" so it's just someone probably trying to keep track of where it's from or where it might be from and who hasn't worked out a consistent naming system for their seed collection yet.  If they're crosses and especially if they're really from me via someone else they'll be unstable anyway, so anyone can grow them for seven or so generations until they're relatively stable and call it whatever they want.  I'm a little unsentimental about naming peppers, I think the name should be useful in identifying and placing the pepper as opposed to celebrating the glory an individual involved with it... but of course there may be exceptions.  In my case, the seeds you have will probably not be my own personal claim to fame :cool:.

With so many varieties, renaming which apparently happens and unstable new varieties it's hard to keep track and I've only been in the pepper game a matter of months.  lol  I like to know what I am growing which is why I have two stacks of seeds.  Ones I have asked about and gotten some info on or know that particular person harvested the seed, and ones I was sent and have no info on lol

Hey Charles, just wanted to show you the plant and pods that came from the seeds you sent.
It's grown well - a nice full and healthy plant with a ton of pods.  Here's a shot from the top:

crossplant.jpg

And here are the pods:

spicegeist.jpg

They were supposed to be yellow 7's x fatalii, but you said earlier that they look like a brain strain cross. The pods are incredibly hot and the flavor did remind me of a brainstrain. Lots of oil on the inside!
It was a surprise, but pretty cool one! Thanks again.

Huh, not what I would have expected.  It could just be a weird combination of genes that made it look that way.  On the other hand, if the seed was mixed up on my end, the only thing I can think of would be a Fatalii x Choco Bhut.

Pulpiteer said:
You mentioned at one point a Brain Strain x Aji Crystal (I think).  Does it look anything like those?

Yes it does in fact, looks very much like those!  Forgot about that one...

Sorry for the blurry pic here, had an issue with my Yellow Bhut this year, finally getting a couple of pods ripening:

Lota Bih starting to ripen.  This is a very unique C. frutescens:

Naga Suomi from the side and from above:

Brainstrains:

Pale Bhut #2 / Assam Bhut / Bih... ?:

Different angles on a Choco Bhut x Douglah F1 pod:

These two peppers plust a Y7:

Great aroma!

:dance:

Back