• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spicy Boiled P-Nuts

Stopped by the market for some stuff and i always need some raw peanuts to boil, but this time a handfull of the hot dried Asian peppers crushed up, salt,garlic, and some other spices thrown in for goot measure, should be done by tonight... :dance:

they would put me under the jail if I had an open fire going here in North Texas...but I do understand about "on the fire in the woods"...

:rofl: just realized I never posted a pic of the final product...all I had on my mind was eating peanuts...they were pretty dang spicy...next time I will use 1/4 cup Bhut powder...or maybe even some fresh scorpion powder...

My pepper growing failed for the most part this year, I got something weird, the stems are hollow and black in the middle, a plant will be doing great, and a huge branch will just tip over, and lay on the ground. So no spicy p-nuts for me this year...

I made my first-ever batch of boiled peanuts in the crock pot this past weekend.
I modified an online recipe called 'Rachael's Superheated Cajun Boiled Peanuts'
and was quite pleased with the resulting taste. 

Desiring more heat, I then prepared a batch using nothing but salt and three halved
habaneros.

20150629_173147_zpssr1k5o93.jpg

After cooking for five hours on high, I turned them to low and added three more
halved habaneros.

20150629_220124_zpsbnmhpne2.jpg

They provided tons of habanero flavor but nothing more than a slight tongue-
tingle. I think I will need to add some powder next time to really kick it up a notch
or three. I'm taking baby steps now so as not to turn the wife completely forever
against boiled peanuts.

I cooked the cajun batch on low in the crock pot for 18 hours. The habanero ones
cooked for 12. You can quick boil them but perhaps they have to soak overnight
first? I'm not sure.

Back