• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Spicy Chickens Cellar Grow Room Extreme Makeover Home Addition

coming along nicely i was a little sceptical at first but im a believe now :cool:

your friend Joe

Thanks Joe, on another note I will be growing some plants this year from some of your seeds. will check later to see which ones.

Maybe a sealant on the walls???

http://www.acehardwa...ELAID=441771361

Used to pour foundation and basement walls about 20 years ago...we didn't use this, but similar liquid/rubber type stuff. Just afraid plastic would cause moisture to pool at the bottom and seep into the bottom of your walls/floor. I know this was a low budget last minute build, but if you mess the waterproofing up...you might end up having to do it all again.

I'm sure you thought of it...you think of everything! Framing looks outstanding!

Shane

Thanks

You brought up a good point Shane, not quite sure that there would be enough moisture to puddle but you never know. better safe then sorry.
The thing with the plastic is the air space between it and the wall leaving room for mold to grow, that I for sure do not want. We use a product here most likely very similar to your linked product, but its only $54 for 5 gallons, just a few more dollars then tar. 10 gallons will give me 2 coats.

Really didn't want to take the time or spend the money, but my babies are worth that for sure, thanks for the reality check.

http://www.decosealers.com/waterproofing-membrane.html

Thanks Joe, on another note I will be growing some plants this year from some of your seeds. will check later to see which ones.

Thanks

You brought up a good point Shane, not quite sure that there would be enough moisture to puddle but you never know. better safe then sorry.
The thing with the plastic is the air space between it and the wall leaving room for mold to grow, that I for sure do not want. We use a product here most likely very similar to your linked product, but its only $54 for 5 gallons, just a few more dollars then tar. 10 gallons will give me 2 coats.

Really didn't want to take the time or spend the money, but my babies are worth that for sure, thanks for the reality check.

http://www.decoseale...g-membrane.html
your welcome!!
im looking forward to it let me know which ones you choose

thanks your friend Joe

The thing with the plastic is the air space between it and the wall leaving room for mold to grow, that I for sure do not want. We use a product here most likely very similar to your linked product, but its only $54 for 5 gallons
Yeah...you never know with cellars or basements...they can have a subtly dampness, or flood every time it rains. Even if it was just mold...your air quality would suffer. The stuff you linked is probably more along the lines of what we used back them...I just linked the first similar product as an example. Sorry if I added more work for you! I just remember what a pain in the a$$ is was every time one of our customers realized after the fact that they should have paid the money for the waterproofing up front...although that wasn't as big of a pain as them deciding later that they wanted to add a window in their concrete basement...

Shane

Update:
Ready for some wiring next, spent some time this weekend building end walls, straitening all the walls and anchoring them to the floor, looks like if every thing goes good I will be tiling all the walls and floor for a nice water proof clean environment. Our home center here has some closeout deals on 12 x 12 tile for $.49 each and there is about 700 square feet so for about 350 in tile and 150 in adhesive and grout seems pretty reasonable.

I have a unique way I will be hanging the shelves and lights from the ceiling so nothing will be attached to the walls and if some day I choose not to use it as a grow room and just a cold storage for pepper products and seeds then all will be easily removed, not looking forward to cutting out over 40 receptacles out of tile, but I think the end product will look sharp and very cleanable.

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_016.jpg

damn i wish i had your talent................ hammer, nail...........ouch my thumb! guess i better put off my reno's for another year. gonna change my name to flat-thumb-colon.

Wow Jeff,
Very impressive!.........Nice to see a ridge and also being able to utilise all available space. I bet you'll be proud when that 1st batch of plants arrive down there. Your time must be limited.............Are you retired? Or can you manage your own hours. Either way , your doing a heck of a good job. I can't wait to see your outdoor planting photos.

Greg

damn it spicy,i wish i wasnt so damn lazy!ive said it before and ill say it again: SIR i like your style. looking great cant wait till finished ,i might move in

Now, now SC...is this how we treat our tools?

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_016-1.jpg

My heart fell a little when I saw how this poor little speed square was being treated :snooty: ...and all those trip hazards! You're not as young as you used to be...I wouldn't want you to fall and break a hip! :rofl:

As always some great looking stuff going on...can't wait for the next update!

Shane

Well today's up date I finally have all of the wall coated and re-coated with some of the electrical boxes mounted, still have a half dozen for the ceiling to mount, then run the wire. Insulation follows with drywall, thought that maybe I would use osb on the walls but then I would have to use mastic glue for the tile instead of thinset which in my opinion hold much better and is less expensive as well.

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_017.jpg

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_018.jpg

The floor is going to be a nightmare, 3-1/2 inches from the highest to lowest point. looking into options for this including quickcrete, goes in like water and is self leveling. There is not enough clearance for a standard door; so will be making that. All in all I would like to have the drywall in by next monday.

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_019.jpg

Thanks for looking, Jeff

Jeff...I've used floor leveling compound before pretty good stuff. Hardest part is getting the consistency right. There may be a little pushing/dragging required to get it done, but not much. 3 1/2 inches is a lot though. All I ever used it for was after patching bathroom floors after adding/moving plumbing in the concrete, and even then we would get it close with Sakrete and only use a little of the leveler on top. Not sure it will hold up that thick??? I might just leave it and chisel a sump in the low point throw a pump in there and tell folks I did it on purpose. I saw how you overcame the walls in your growroom...you'll figure it out. You going to put tile on the floor as well? There will be no shortage of power in there, that is certain!

Looking pro as usual!
Shane

damn i wish i had your talent................ hammer, nail...........ouch my thumb! guess i better put off my reno's for another year. gonna change my name to flat-thumb-colon.

Hey BC, I can’t remember the last time my hammer actually pounded in a nail. Now I just pull the trigger, so now instead of hitting the wrong nail you just shoot a hole thru it. Ouch! Lol

Wow Jeff,
Very impressive!.........Nice to see a ridge and also being able to utilise all available space. I bet you'll be proud when that 1st batch of plants arrive down there. Your time must be limited.............Are you retired? Or can you manage your own hours. Either way , your doing a heck of a good job. I can't wait to see your outdoor planting photos.

Greg

Thanks Greg, my time is very limited, Not retired but retarded! Should be fishin. I own a medium size commercial and residential construction company, I only have 18 employee’s right now but it’s a full time job just keeping them in line. I pick and choose my days thanks to a great foreman. But still money is tight and can only do what I can afford for now.

just in awe at the skill.

I bet all the kids loved your tree house when you were younger.

Never had a tree house but growing up there was and 18 hundreds log cabin next to our farm house with a tree growing thru it; does that count? Had a lot of fun in that old place.

damn it spicy,i wish i wasnt so damn lazy!ive said it before and ill say it again: SIR i like your style. looking great cant wait till finished ,i might move in

Thanks Sicman, You will have to share though with 2500 plus plants, O and as long as you in there you can feed and water them too. Lol

Now, now SC...is this how we treat our tools?

My heart fell a little when I saw how this poor little speed square was being treated ...and all those trip hazards! You're not as young as you used to be...I wouldn't want you to fall and break a hip!

As always some great looking stuff going on...can't wait for the next update!

Shane

Thanks Shane, Just a little tantrum when I found out something wasn’t square. I picked it up and it fine now. :O) Ya I cleaned my working area, sometime though limited time creates a mess and I ask the wife to clean it up, she’s great that way.

Cheers, -Jeff

Jeff...I've used floor leveling compound before pretty good stuff. Hardest part is getting the consistency right. There may be a little pushing/dragging required to get it done, but not much. 3 1/2 inches is a lot though. All I ever used it for was after patching bathroom floors after adding/moving plumbing in the concrete, and even then we would get it close with Sakrete and only use a little of the leveler on top. Not sure it will hold up that thick??? I might just leave it and chisel a sump in the low point throw a pump in there and tell folks I did it on purpose. I saw how you overcame the walls in your growroom...you'll figure it out. You going to put tile on the floor as well? There will be no shortage of power in there, that is certain!

Looking pro as usual!
Shane

I am going to put tile on the floor and am thinking that the leveler you are talking about comes in a pail or dry and you add water and mix, Quickcrete is a liquid concrete that a truck brings out just like concrete except it has no rocks, just sand and styrofoam beads. think it is like almost a hundred dollars a yard. fast and simple

Jeff, what did you coat the walls/studs with?

Hey MW how you been?

I use a liquid rubber, basically it is for damp proofing so the wall won't sweat and soak the insulation, but I coated the studs right a way, maybe postponing their decay for a few extra years.

Cheers, -Jeff

Interesting. Never seen that stuff before.

I've been good. Been itching to get some plants out since the winter has been so mild, but its still freezing at night here. It looks like next week is going to stay above 32 F the whole week, though, and I noticed my lilac bushes have buds on them, so spring can't be too far away!

Hey MW how you been?

I use a liquid rubber, basically it is for damp proofing so the wall won't sweat and soak the insulation, but I coated the studs right a way, maybe postponing their decay for a few extra years.

Cheers, -Jeff

Can't figure out if you guys are making fun of me or not, with this crowd it hard to tell.

Thought that I would take a few minutes out of my relaxed schedule and and sketch up a layout plan, a little late but come to find out I will only be moving about 80% of the electrical, so only about 3 hours wasted. ;O(

There will be just enough room for 33 2'x4' florescent lights with 1 being strictly for the 98 cell germination units and 32 for transplanted growers

32 lights x 4 trays per light x 18 3.5x3.5 cells in each tray = 2,304 plants.

Cost will be about 8 dollars per month per light equaling about $256 for 3 months. should have around 50 cents a piece including: container, potting soil, and electricity, pretty reasonable for a six to 10 inch supper hot ready for planting.

If you have any suggestions besides stripper poles and disco balls lol let me know. ;O)

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_020.jpg

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_021.jpg

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_022.jpg

Cellar_Growroom_Extreme_Makeover_Home_Edition_023.jpg

Thanks for looking-Jeff

I should have known when you said you were going with something other than standard shelves on the walls that it was going to turn into something beautiful! The plans you have sketched look perfect. Can't wait to see it in action!
Shane

Nice little setup what are the temps like and are you going to add any air circulation through the room?

I was kidding about the pole buddy. With my skills at building all I have to contribute is humor. Seriously good stuff.

hell ya,when is this going to be done you think? it usually takes me about a month to getting around to building atable for green house or barn. then usually 2 days to finish,lol. im fat and lazy i know.

Back