• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Spicy Chicken's grow room and greenhouse makeover

My god their Mr Chicken. You must have a wood working book that Jesus himself wrote.
Master Craftsman to say the least.
Your attention to detail tops it off!

Very nice. I can't believe how much material you put into that type of structure.

Can I as where you get the melamine from? Is it solid or does it have a wood core? The pictures make it look like it has a core, which would be less desirable.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed this thread. I'm truly blown away by what you've accomplished.

Edit: Did I mention that I'd gleefully kill to have your skill set?
Glade you enjoyed it! Killing is one of my skills so your half way there, I don't really know much; it’s the tools that do all the work.:crazy:

My god their Mr Chicken. You must have a wood working book that Jesus himself wrote.
Master Craftsman to say the least.
Your attention to detail tops it off!

I did get an autographed copy from him back in the day but it was mostly about wooden cups, dining room chairs and supper tables, good info though.

If only he had our tools of today!

I somehow missed this thread before. WOW. I'm in awe. Amazing work Jeff.

Chris

Thanks Chris got to read the whole book at once, not in pieces like many other here including myself.

Very nice. I can't believe how much material you put into that type of structure.

Can I as where you get the melamine from? Is it solid or does it have a wood core? The pictures make it look like it has a core, which would be less desirable.

here is a better discrip of the material, and where I purchased it from. Not your grandpa’s particle board.

Materials were fairly cheap and it only took about 4 hour total to make them, just throw together’s to see if the idea of turning a whole room into a dehydrator would work, now I know it will to the fire pit they will go.:dance:

After the drying is done it will be time to build some much nicer permanent ones.:woohoo:

Cheers, everyone. SC

Mr. SC, thank you for showing me this thread! How incredbily fantastic! You took a germination/dehydrating/processing/shipping room and transformed it far and beyond what most people would probably do. Your peppers are so spoiled! :) Seriously though, wonderful job, beautiful new area, and I need to become friends with someone like you when I get my dream space of land :) lol Maybe in a few weeks we'll see some bunk beds in some of those pictures :P

Ms. Spicy Chicken: "Hey hun, want to come and sleep inside with me tonight?"
Mr. Spicy Chicken: "Nah thanks for the offer though, think I'll just stick out here with the peppers."

Grinding Habanero's in The Pepper Shake, my wife named it.:)

A little more than 100 gallons of habs today.

The fan does a very nice job of keeping the work area free of dust. No mask necessary.

I would have used the normal grinder but even on the lowest setting it grinds to fine for my spice rub.

The key is starting out on a chop setting so the peppers will drop down into the blade and once the vortex is created then dropping just enough to get sucked into it.

Once again taken with my shitty camera not a video recorder.

Cheers, Jeff

turn it up!

Thanks for watchin, SC

Mr. SC, thank you for showing me this thread! How incredbily fantastic! You took a germination/dehydrating/processing/shipping room and transformed it far and beyond what most people would probably do. Your peppers are so spoiled! :) Seriously though, wonderful job, beautiful new area, and I need to become friends with someone like you when I get my dream space of land :) lol Maybe in a few weeks we'll see some bunk beds in some of those pictures :P

Ms. Spicy Chicken: "Hey hun, want to come and sleep inside with me tonight?"
Mr. Spicy Chicken: "Nah thanks for the offer though, think I'll just stick out here with the peppers."

:rofl: Glad you enjoyed it. Let me know when your ready to build; I will come give you a hand!

-SC

Thought that I would get an early start on the grow log this year, not as early as some

Well I had to rearrange the Pepper Shack, retire the dryers for storage shelves and set 3- 2’X4’ sections of shelves for the grow lights.

SC_2012_Grow_Log_001.jpg

SC_2012_Grow_Log_002.jpg

UPS delivered 100 98 cell seed trays and 100 1020 no/hole trays and Pro Mix seed starting mix. Wahoo

SC_2012_Grow_Log_003.jpg

Had to moved the temporary shipping counter to the other end.

SC_2012_Grow_Log_004.jpg

I think the sorting table will make a good soil filling table letting me brush the crumbs down the hole.

SC_2012_Grow_Log_005.jpg

Putting the upper greenhouse on this year 2012 will be one of my goals should be starting with in the next couple of week,

Very excited, even though seed drop will be a couple of weeks away.
Waiting on the shipment of bulbs and molded cords for the lights yet.
Just enough room for 1,080 plants guess I need 3 more shelf racks. Hmmm what to do.

Thanks for looking SC

Built a vacuum seeder for ther grow room, this one fits the 1020 98 cell trays

2 pieces of ¼ inch masonite or plywood roughly 12” X24”
4 pieces of ½ or ¾ plywood or dimensional lumber
8 wood screws 1-5/8

DSC01011a.jpg

Grove them out on the table saw starting at about 3/8” from the edges so your sheet goods fit just snug.

DSC01013a.jpg

Rabbit out the ends the same width as itself and the same depth as the groves.

DSC01014a.jpg

Test fit.

DSC01015a.jpg

Quick sanding to eliminate slivers.

DSC01016a.jpg

Another test fit.

DSC01017a.jpg

Make sure it fits nicely over the 1020 tray.

DSC01018a.jpg

Tape off one end panel and layout centers for the size insert you will use and drill holes. This one is for a 98 cell.

DSC01019a.jpg

After the tape is removed, scrap any burrs off with a blade.

DSC01021a.jpg

Drill a hole in the end for the vacuum hose, the extensions will usually be tapered, seating for a nice tight fit.

DSC01022a.jpg

Screw the corners together and give it a test run. Dump a pile on and shake it back and forth till the seeds find a hole; then dump the excess out.

DSC01023a.jpg

As you can see there are some doubles, for the most part that matters not to me but smaller holes will eliminate this issue.

DSC01024a.jpg

Staged and ready to go. WooHoo

DSC01025a.jpg

Difficulty Rating: Moderate
Time consumption: 45 min.
Material Cost: $6.00 free if you have the scraps.

Questions and Comments welcome!
Thanks for looking, SC

Very cool! If you keep teaching me about and encouraging my pepper habit my wife may want to have a talk with you...
;)

Super excited to see this grow. Followed the house from the beginning and excited to see this years beginning!

Thanks guys

Very cool! If you keep teaching me about and encouraging my pepper habit my wife may want to have a talk with you...

I guess I could tell her how important it is that she supports you and she needs to do whatever you ask of her.LOL Then I will post a "How To" build a dog house. Are you going to or already have a grow log this year?

Awesome use of a vacuum. LOVE IT

Crap, now that my wife found out I know how to turn on a vacuum, my daily chore list just got longer,

Super excited to see this grow. Followed the house from the beginning and excited to see this years beginning!

It's officially called "The Pepper shack" now, LOL So much work still to be done. My ambition went on vacation, been waking up to temps of almost 0. The only good thing is we only have about an inch of snow and I hope it stays that way for a while.

"Keep it hot" SC

Spending a lot of time in the pepper shack made me realize that there is some thing missing, so I have decided to enclose the area you see in the pic below, a man cave should have a lounge area complete with lazy boys and big screen to watch football, cooler for beers and snacks. I can also justify putting in a pellet stove.

Sound like a good Idea?

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0417.jpg

Thanks guys

I guess I could tell her how important it is that she supports you and she needs to do whatever you ask of her.LOL Then I will post a "How To" build a dog house. Are you going to or already have a grow log this year?

The plan is to get one going here in the next couple of weeks and at least get some super hots going early. I've still got to finalize my grow list and figure out some extra space for starting seeds. We just went from renters to owners of the same house, so I'm thinking I may add a couple of outlets to a basement closet...

Back