• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

Crap!! I just reply to every ones questions and comments and it did't post. sorry but right now I don't have another 20 minutes to spare, will later ---Jeff
I feel your pain on that one...I've typed up books on here only to hit the wrong button and there it went!

If I remember right you had a small space heater/fan in the bottom of each cabinet pushing air through to the top. A thought aside from using screen for the shelves might be to figure out a way to move the heater outside the cabinet to push air in. Maybe having the thermostat outside the box will keep the heating elements running longer??? Or just buy five of these!!!

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/32629.html?utm_source=32629&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CJrQrND60bICFQjZQgodgSgA2Q

I feel your pain on that one...I've typed up books on here only to hit the wrong button and there it went!

If I remember right you had a small space heater/fan in the bottom of each cabinet pushing air through to the top. A thought aside from using screen for the shelves might be to figure out a way to move the heater outside the cabinet to push air in. Maybe having the thermostat outside the box will keep the heating elements running longer??? Or just buy five of these!!!

http://www.meatproce...CFQjZQgodgSgA2Q

Darn it I should have bought those while they where on sale. Now I can't afford them.lol

Well we got through last season and harvested what we could, far from a perfect world tho, the biggest problem is floor space and will have to deal with that issue again this year, you got my wheels spinin.

Some of the final end product from the 2012 season, there is maybe 6 times that much in the freezers, just keep enough out to fill orders.

Greenhouse_makeover_0445.JPG

Should be starting the 2013 season here in about 2 weeks, this year we will be starting the plants in a spare part of the barn where water is more available. Need to build more shelves so thinking the grow log will start out with the self build in case someone else is considering building additional space as well, just looking for economics on this build tho.

Guess for the most part this will be the conclusion to Spicy Chickens 2012 grow, would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who visited and commented on the grow and maybe we will see you in the next log.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff your grow was amazing and you ending this last season on a note that says "The End" is disheartening. You cant do that my friend. You have to say, "Unitl a few more months." That gives us chili heads something to look forward to. Cant wait for your list this year and I'm sure it will be epic. Continue on, you have my permission :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, Jeff. Didn't get to do much glogging this summer after
dad's heart attacks so missed the beauty of your grow until
now when your glog finally resurfaced. I nominate you for
grow of the year, my friend. Not only high quality and quantity
of pods, but an a work of landscape art, as well.

Hope to keep better track of your 2013 grow!

Hey, Jeff. Didn't get to do much glogging this summer after
dad's heart attacks so missed the beauty of your grow until
now when your glog finally resurfaced. I nominate you for
grow of the year, my friend. Not only high quality and quantity
of pods, but an a work of landscape art, as well.

Hope to keep better track of your 2013 grow!

Well thanks a million Paul, So sorry to hear about your father, how is he doing?
I certainly can understand the absence,;o(

Jeff

Holy tinkle.

Jeff, talk about a great season! To think, you had a significant setback mid-season, AND YOU STILL have an entire shelving unit full of stuff that ISNT in the freezer...

Can't wait for the new chapter Jeff. I am sure your "economy" build will be everything but. Fire up those lights buddy!

Very soon the lights will be on, tomorrow we are going into town for material so looks like the new chapter will start shortly there after. been a good ride this last year and sad to see it go cause that means everyone is a year older but wiser.

Cheers - Jeff

Back