• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickens MMXIV Glog - Hobby Grow

welcome_to_spicy_chickens_grow_log.jpg

This years grow will be somewhat [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]disappointing comparatively speaking, my wife and I decided last night to only plant the circle raised beds this year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Each bed holds 12 plants conservatively X 20 will only be 240 plants; all Reapers and for no particular reason; just to have something growing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Some of you may have seen my thread in the Lounge about a barn conversion and this will take priority over the dedication it take to grow our normal thousands of plants. ;-([/SIZE]

We did plant 2548 reaper seeds, we will [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]transplant[/SIZE] what germinates and try to sell locally anything over 240
All of the plants will be topped and stripped this year again, so if you are interested in that stay tuned.

Once again I may not have time to respond to all of your replies, but you will know I read them with a like. Please no Like trolls. lol

Seeding by hand this year with only one seed per cell, limited on seeds.

2014_Grow_001.jpg

To save space and heat we stacked them [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]until[/SIZE] they pop.

2014_Grow_002.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff
Edit: The writing on the first pic is incorrect and what we first thought we would do. so don't ask :rofl:

Hobby Grow? I think your hobby is organizing!! :woohoo:

I have to say that I can't conceive how you do it!This glog would scare some pro growers!

Looks like I don't have to worry about sources for powder, amazing Jeff , amazing.
Have a good one-
DJ

Update:
welcome_to_another_update.jpg

Greetings friends,

Just another quick update on the plant progress, 4 weeks till plant out. :dance: 

The first pic is of some Reapers ready for the feeder leaves to be trimmed and the second is just after they were removed, plenty of foliage to support the plant at this stage.

2014_Grow_046.JPG

2014_Grow_047.JPG

For some of you who are just starting out in the growing department, if you look a plant in the pic above... 3 from the left and 2 down; you will see a darker plant that has funny shaped leaves and lots and lots of new growth growing from everywhere, this is what I call a mutant plant, somewhere along the line the DNA makeup got screwed up and its not growing as it should. do yourself a favor and toss it.

We have a few of these every year and they really never get very big but just real bushy and don't produce much if at all, just wasted space in your garden. If you are not sure; plant it anyway and then next time you will be able to recognize it at a young age.

An now just a few more pics of progress; nothing special :)

2014_Grow_048.JPG

2014_Grow_049.JPG

2014_Grow_050.JPG

2014_Grow_051.JPG

Thank you for stopping by! Hope everyone is having a great weekend,  :party: 

Cheers - Jeff

OKGrowin said:
hey its been 2 weeks! how your plants been doing?

kgetpeppers said:
Hows your plants doing? Did you end up tossing your extras? Where in wisconsin are you located?

Plants are doing great, they are out enjoying the sun. I will post some pics here in the next few days. Located about 50 miles north of Green Bay.

miguelovic said:
Did that mutant look anything like this in its younger days?

img_0001.jpg

or is that some kind of special sauce I'm growing :P

Some of my plants looked like that but think you are dealing with some kind of deficiency or excess of. To be honest I have no idea what causes that, most of my mutants have stay short and have a plethora of leaves.

Spicy Chicken said:

Plants are doing great, they are out enjoying the sun. I will post some pics here in the next few days. Located about 50 miles north of Green Bay.

Careful with "enjoying the sun" in the far north. You have  those pop up May hail showers . I hear they can be damaging. :rolleyes:

Good Great luck this year.

Spicy Chicken said:
Some of my plants looked like that but think you are dealing with some kind of deficiency or excess of. To be honest I have no idea what causes that, most of my mutants have stay short and have a plethora of leaves.

Aww nuts, I was hoping I was on to something. You could be right, I've seen some funny growth with this soil.

Can't wait to see the update on how your flock is doing :)

I seriously wish I was closer and could help out on the farm or taking a pile of peppers to a new home.  Sucks to see so many heading for the chopping block. 

Stay with it Jeff.

Spicy Chicken said:
I will only be planting about 1/6th and the rest will go to the compost pile. :-(
:shocked: A thousand cringes on the pepper forum...You should call the local greenhouse and see if they want them, they will probably even come pick them up. Or run a free ad on craigslist

Back