• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spicy Spagetti

Tonight I make spicy spagetti.

Planned ingredients, include, red and green bell peppers, onion, garlic, and crushed red peppers. Also to be included is spicy italian sausage, red cooking wine, dried basil and oregano. With the leftovers, tomorrow I am going to make the spicy meatballs again to have with it.

I use two cans tomato sauce, and two small cans of paste. Add spices and let simmer. I will cook the onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil for a bit, and add the sausage to brown, drain, then add it all to the sauce.

Boilin' noodles is something though that still drives me bonkers. They always come out wrong, I add salt to the water, and I have tried putting olive oil on them too. What it is, I drain them, and then they are fine at first, but for seconds they are sticky. I have considered just not draining them, I have googled this enigma and come up with nothing concrete. What do you all do?

I have tried cooking the pasta in a stockpot full of water and no good. I did see that tip before though, I have done research on this and the solution evades me. It seems fine right after you cook it, but going back for seconds it is sticky. Maybe that is just the nature of pasta, and I am just not getting it.

Sevver - Pasta Update?

sevver said:
Tonight I make spicy spagetti.

Boilin' noodles is something though that still drives me bonkers. They always come out wrong, I add salt to the water, and I have tried putting olive oil on them too. What it is, I drain them, and then they are fine at first, but for seconds they are sticky. I have considered just not draining them, I have googled this enigma and come up with nothing concrete. What do you all do?

Sevver - how did my spaghetti recipe work out for you? Which pasta machine did you settle on? - E.Z.

E.Z. Earl said:
Sevver - how did my spaghetti recipe work out for you? Which pasta machine did you settle on? - E.Z.

I haven't had a chance to make it yet, sorry, but I will, and as far as a pasta maker goes, I did not get one of those either. I will be spending the day setting up a network tomorrow and will have a chance to speak to some nice Italian people and see what pasta maker they recommend. I will keep updated on this. The search for perfect pasta will never end! :P

I have a weird way to cook pasta. I get the water boiling, add butter, salt, and pepper. Then add the pasta, cover and simmer till just tender. Then turn off the heat and let it sit with the lid on. Most of the water and seasonings get absorbed. It stays warm and not sticky. I only drain it as it is served.

Enough butter, salt, and pepper in the water and it's not bad by itself. It soaks up the butter and seasonings. I usually add some garlic powder and parm cheese, when I eat it like that.

Otherwise I just top with some sauce or....... cheddar cheese covered with Texas Chili, mmm. The cheese melts all down into the pasta. I was doin that before I knew about those folks in Cinci.
Joe

Okay, here is what you gotta do.....

After you have cooked the pasta, place your strainer in the serving bowl (you do have a serving bowl, right?) and then strain the pasta. This allows the cooking water to preheat the sefving bowl. After allowing the pasta to drain, dump the water from the serving bowl, then dump in the pasta.

Now here is the important part. Place a couple of ladles of sauce over the pasta and toss. Your pasta won't stick!

It does not matter what you do to the cooking liquid, pasta will stick unless you sauce it in the serving bowl. Tomato sauce, alfredo, olive oil... Whatever. Good luck

Fd, maybe all the butter in my pasta acts kinda like a sauce to make it not sticky? Sometimes I add more butter after it's done and then toss. Your way works of coarse.
Joe

Back