• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spicy Strawberry Preserves... what to do with the sauce?

so i bought 6 pounds of strawberries at the farmers market today because they're some of the best i've had and wanted to preserve that image of my perfect strawberry flavor. i used 3 pounds to make preserves, added wildflower and raw honey(I know it's no longer raw being boiled at 220F), lemon peels, chocolate and lime mint, some confectioners sugar, and a whooooole lot of some home made capsaicin extract containing barrackpore, brainstrain, lemon habs, and other various dried peppers to cut all the sweetness. It was my first time making preserves and instead of boiling it down a whole lot and making a gel-like sauce to pour on, I ended up with a whole lot of extra. I'm wondering what to do with all of it? I have the bowl full of it that I need to use right away, and the jar on the far right is filled with sauce for future consumption.

spicy strawberry glazed chicken has been suggested, so has deer, bacon, and using it as pancake syrup.
any ideas?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the other 3lbs of berries; i'm thinking of being nice and making some regular jam for family, but spicy suggestions are more than welcome :D

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

well any pepper and fruit jelly is good, i do a mild one with peter peppers for my relatives an put a pict on the label for fun.. I have done yellow bhuts and yellow cardi and it worked well i have not tried any sauces with strawberries and chiles.. but will be interested if you do that.. the mix of berries/fruit to peppers is the key.. i would try small batches.
I only use pure cane sugar and only use certo liquid pectin.. it works very well every time.
let me know how it works out..

I do have a dehydrator... Strawberry chips are an awesome snack and not a whole ton of work. somehow that slipped my mind.
the banana split topping sounds really good, but sadly i'm lactose intolerant :(

Yumyumyellow said:
I do have a dehydrator... Strawberry chips are an awesome snack and not a whole ton of work. somehow that slipped my mind.
the banana split topping sounds really good, but sadly i'm lactose intolerant :(
Damn..... sorry to hear!

Back