• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Spiders, good or bad guys?

First of all apologies if my questions are silly, but this is my first 'serious' growing season, so I am not yet used to it.

Well, the thing is the other day I was watering my plants when I noticed a spiderweb among some leafs of one plant. Then I seen that little spider on it. My first reaction was to kill it and destroy the web. However, I had a second thought about it.

So my question is, it is ok to leave the spider there and let it hunt and kill small flying insects? will it do any harm to my plant or pods? may I run into the risk of a spider pest myself? so far I have found two spiders in two different plants, if that helps.

Spiders are the best! :cool:

The only time I remove them from my plants is when I'm about to get all pesticidal—there's no way I'm gonna let my little helpers die in the process!

Spiders are ok and won't hurt the plant.

Spider mites won't really hurt the plant unless they are in large numbers. So if you do happen to see a few, don't fret or over react. The most common damage you'll see is a stippling or spotty discoloring in the leaves. If not, leave them be because it'll be food for beneficial bugs and could attract them to your garden.

Oh how I enjoy reading those comments!

Spiders are right up there with Ladybugs if you're trying to keep nasty bugs off of your plants. Now, there is an actual vegetarian spider. It's a Bagheera kiplingi. A jumping spider about the size of a fingernail on your pinky finger. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.livescience.com%2F5759-rare-vegetarian-spider-discovered.html&rct=j&q=vegetarian%20spiders&ei=IBmPTq3HO8qksQLNqKnDAQ&usg=AFQjCNF6eAn7EPIND4eDnZQ0bFHLfJfrwQ&cad=rja

Spiders are wonderful protectors of your plants. I watched this guy grow up and guard this Douglah all season. Amazing creatures.

Screenshot2011-06-28at21518PM.png

Spiders are ok and won't hurt the plant.

Spider mites won't really hurt the plant unless they are in large numbers. So if you do happen to see a few, don't fret or over react. The most common damage you'll see is a stippling or spotty discoloring in the leaves. If not, leave them be because it'll be food for beneficial bugs and could attract them to your garden.

I find this a disturbing statement. IME, spider-mites can decimate a plant quite quickly if left unchecked. It's very difficult to "over react" when a simple high pressure spray of water (from a hand spayer) will kill them. They're a very soft bodied mite so water works well. If it's a recurring infestation; then neem oil or some other natural bio-cide may be in order.

I took this photo today of a worm on a basil which is sharing a pot with an overwintered aji lemon. I didn't notice until uploading the photo there is a spider looking very interested in the worm.
worm003.jpg

I went ahead and recycled the worm.
worm004.jpg

It's part of a deal I have with the ants. They don't farm aphids on my chillis and I don't use chemicals that will kill them, and I give them a treat now and then. ;)

Back