• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Spiders Not Always Good For Pepper Plants?

So I was picking some pods off my plants a few minutes ago.  I picked one 7 Pot Brown off, and as I was examining it, I saw some thick spider webbing in a crevice.  No biggie, spiders do that all the time.  So as I was removing the webbing, I noticed 3 small holes underneath it.  Now that was strange, as I've not seen that before.  I promptly took it inside and cut it open.  Lo and behold, the inside of the pod was covered in webbing.  Have any of you noticed this behavior from a spider before?  The type of spider was one of those light green/yellow crab spiders.

Here's a couple of pics of the inside of the pod:

2013-09-16%2012.23.07.jpg

2013-09-16%2012.23.45.jpg

Type of spider (Not my picture.  Credits to University of Kentucky):
crab1.jpg

compmodder26 said:
So I was picking some pods off my plants a few minutes ago.  I picked one 7 Pot Brown off, and as I was examining it, I saw some thick spider webbing in a crevice.  No biggie, spiders do that all the time.  So as I was removing the webbing, I noticed 3 small holes underneath it.  Now that was strange, as I've not seen that before.  I promptly took it inside and cut it open.  Lo and behold, the inside of the pod was covered in webbing.  Have any of you noticed this behavior from a spider before?  The type of spider was one of those light green/yellow crab spiders.

Here's a couple of pics of the inside of the pod:

2013-09-16%2012.23.45.jpg

Am i the only person who spies a worm?

zZDxGr9.jpg

i had the same with a habanero. silk n all and a worm that looks just like what i see here, came scuttling out.

yqrUiiK.jpg

Well I'll be damned!  Sure looks like it.  But the thing is, I cut the pepper open, I examined thoroughly.  I even threw it in the trash and took it back out to take the picture.  Never once did I see a worm move.  Sure looks like it in the pic though.  Now I'm scratching my head as to how I could have missed something so obvious.   :think: 

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Just found a grasshopper on one of my plants, then I notices a couple leaves under him were about gone. Should have seen him run! He did not get to tell his buds either...

Dulac said:
That poor spider almost took the blame for that darn worm!
Lol, not to worry. I let the little guy go unharmed. Even if it really was the culprit, I'd be willing to let it take one pod for itself since it protects so many more.

Back