• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Spinosad as pest control

We want to get some member feedback regarding the use of spinosad from those of you who have used it in the past.
How effective do you find the product to be?
Pros and Cons?
Do you consider it organic or simply natural?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards, Chris

Thanks for the link.
I did consult the wiki link prior to the post.

The particular brand I am testing is branded as "natural" and not "organic".
My homework thus far is that it may be considered organic to many but not all. (different parts of the world/ markets, certain crops, OMRI certified, blah blah blah...)
I am hoping for a consensus from members who have used it, and specifically organic growers.
Would you/ they recommend it to a fellow organic grower for pest control or avoid it/ seek an alternative?

I appreciate your input.
Regards, Chris

I would consider it organic. Even the fact that it has "Low mammalian toxicity" doesn't concern me much as Spinosad has also found its way into monthly pest controls for dogs and cats. If it was BS then I think there would be a lot more cases of pet fatalities and the product would be pulled off the market. I do not see a difference between Spinosad, BT and beneficial nematodes. Really, I don't see a reason to distinguish between Spinosad and predatory insects. They are both organisms that help control other organisms.

As far as its effectiveness, I am sold on it. I have been using it in conjunction with nematodes (applied in March) and BT (applied bi weekly). I use the Spinosad on the alternating weeks from the BT. It definitely saved my cabbage crop this year. BT works really well, but the loopers always continue to feed for a few days after treatment, with the Spinosad the loopers drop off and get eaten by the birds within a few hours.

I should also note that I have not seen any decrease in beneficial insects in the garden. I saw dozens of ladybug larvae yesterday and I have a VERY active colony of bees.

I have only been using it for a month now, so I guess time will tell.

I've got an item with BT and an item with Spinosad coming next week to do just what tgps is doing, alternate weeks use. I agree that it would be organic as stated above - using a living organism to fight others.

Hoping between the two they can knock out the flippin leaf miners that are going nuts out there...

I use it on non-flowering plants only. It will harm bees but some of the science was spraying it hardcore on bees and sure they died. I have used it for 2 previous seasons and have a ton of bees! Again only on non-flowering plants and when bees are less active. I use it on potatoes mostly but also once a month on brassicas. Bt is definitely the choice for caterpillars. Bt for potato bugs is no longer available. I have tried to find it!

"Low mammalian toxicity". Malathion carries that same title. I call BS.
Bottom line. What are you trying to get rid of ?

Doug, I miss my days of tromping about Costa Rica. Love Arenal.
In short, I typically have to battle caterpillars, flies, thrips and beetles.

I've got an item with BT and an item with Spinosad coming next week to do just what tgps is doing, alternate weeks use. I agree that it would be organic as stated above - using a living organism to fight others.

Hoping between the two they can knock out the flippin leaf miners that are going nuts out there...

Bill, please keep us updated on your progress/ effectiveness. And thank you for your feedback.

I use it on non-flowering plants only. It will harm bees but some of the science was spraying it hardcore on bees and sure they died. I have used it for 2 previous seasons and have a ton of bees! Again only on non-flowering plants and when bees are less active. I use it on potatoes mostly but also once a month on brassicas. Bt is definitely the choice for caterpillars. Bt for potato bugs is no longer available. I have tried to find it!

Tamara, thanks for your input. Understanding your caution with regards to bees.
Just to clarify, are you talking about non-flowering plants (ie species), or plants that have don't have flowers on them yet (non flowering stage)?

I would consider it organic. Even the fact that it has "Low mammalian toxicity" doesn't concern me much as Spinosad has also found its way into monthly pest controls for dogs and cats. If it was BS then I think there would be a lot more cases of pet fatalities and the product would be pulled off the market. I do not see a difference between Spinosad, BT and beneficial nematodes. Really, I don't see a reason to distinguish between Spinosad and predatory insects. They are both organisms that help control other organisms.

As far as its effectiveness, I am sold on it. I have been using it in conjunction with nematodes (applied in March) and BT (applied bi weekly). I use the Spinosad on the alternating weeks from the BT. It definitely saved my cabbage crop this year. BT works really well, but the loopers always continue to feed for a few days after treatment, with the Spinosad the loopers drop off and get eaten by the birds within a few hours.

I should also note that I have not seen any decrease in beneficial insects in the garden. I saw dozens of ladybug larvae yesterday and I have a VERY active colony of bees.

I have only been using it for a month now, so I guess time will tell.

Brian, great insight regarding the bees and ladybugs. I know most of us want to spare all the beneficial bugs. Can you keep us posted throughout the season?

Back