• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Spontaneous variegation or disease?

Hi Everyone! 😁

My new season seedlings are sprouting. This year I took many varieties that were interesting to me. But since I am a newbie, I still feel unsure in some cases. Please tell me, is this some kind of disease/problem with care or spontaneous variegation?
This variety is not variegated. This is Roger's Habanero Giant orange. The photo shows this strange seedling and another of the same variety. I also have variegated varieties Hypnos and Tiger Jalapeno but they sprouted a couple of weeks earlier and were planted and labeled before these. And they look different too. So there shouldn't be any confusion.

Are there other cases like a spontaneous mutation or disease that causes patterns on the leaves? Well, to be honest, if it were a spontaneous mutation, I would be only happy because I love variegated varieties. But if it's a disease or a care problem, then I need to understand why it's happening.

Thanks! 😊

IMG20240305182128.jpg
IMG20240305182134.jpg
IMG20240305182203.jpg

It looks like variegation, better keep an eye out for this one!

Thanks! 😊

I think I'll keep it for growing in a pot. It will be interesting to see how it grows up. Anyway I was going to leave a couple of plants in pots and plant the rest of them in the greenhouse.

Reactions: Bou
Did you grow that from isolated seeds? If not, then my guess is that seedling is the result of cross-pollination with a variegated variety. And yes, some diseases such as mosaic virus can also cause patterns in the leaves. But that one looks more like it crossed with a Fish pepper or the like to me.

Did you grow that from isolated seeds? If not, then my guess is that seedling is the result of cross-pollination with a variegated variety. And yes, some diseases such as mosaic virus can also cause patterns in the leaves. But that one looks more like it crossed with a Fish pepper or the like to me.
Thank you.

I bought these seeds from people who grow hot peppers. But yes, they have a warning on their website that they have an “open pollination method.” (I’m not sure what it is, but it’s probably what you described). They have a lot of varieties. There are also variegated ones (I also took the Hypnos variety from them). I’ll try to find out what other variegated varieties there have. Now I’m curious.

Thank you.

I bought these seeds from people who grow hot peppers. But yes, they have a warning on their website that they have an “open pollination method.” (I’m not sure what it is, but it’s probably what you described). They have a lot of varieties. There are also variegated ones (I also took the Hypnos variety from them). I’ll try to find out what other variegated varieties there have. Now I’m curious.
This may be the result of seed mixing, unintentional crossing, or spontaneous variegation, but only time will tell.

This may be the result of seed mixing, unintentional crossing, or spontaneous variegation, but only time will tell.
I think you're right.
In any case, I will keep an eye on this seedling. I will write later when it grows up and show a photo. Then I think it will become clear what it is.

I think you're right.
In any case, I will keep an eye on this seedling. I will write later when it grows up and show a photo. Then I think it will become clear what it is.
You should have your final answer with the fruits!

Well, I asked the seller.
He was surprised but said that this was not cross-pollination. He also said that among Chinese there are no variegated ones except the Ninfadora variety. They have it, but I definitely didn’t take it (because I didn’t even know about it). So, the seller said that in this case all that remains is to see what will grow from this strange seedling and asked to show it later.

Well, I asked the seller.
He was surprised but said that this was not cross-pollination. He also said that among Chinese there are no variegated ones except the Ninfadora variety. They have it, but I definitely didn’t take it (because I didn’t even know about it). So, the seller said that in this case all that remains is to see what will grow from this strange seedling and asked to show it later.
Well, as few people sell truly isolated seeds, I'd take what he told you with a pinch of salt! On the other hand, spontaneous variegation is probably more common than it seems. There are other examples floating around, like Sugar Rush Peach Stripey and Beni Highlands. Maybe I'm lucky as fuck but I currently have one C chinense and another a C. Baccatum x C. chinense cross which seems to be variegated too (this last one is not yet big enough to confirm but fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Wow! This is great! I hope so. It is very interesting. I didn't know about Sugar rush stripey. This year I also took this variety. And it’s so cool if your plants are variegated!

I have a lot of hibiscus plants. And among them, variegation is an incredibly rare phenomenon. I know only 3 of these varieties (2 of which are spontaneous and one wild species).And that's from all varieties! So it’s all the more surprising for me that among peppers this can suddenly appear like this!

It's cool indeed and there is now a growing hype with variegated tomatoes and other vegetables as well.

I work in the field (environmental technician/biologist) and over the years I have stumble upon at least a dozen variegated plants in the wild. It is always fascinating to see how Mother Nature can be flamboyant from time to time! Here are 2 examples, the first being a Plantago major (found in my lawn!) and the other a Pastinaca sativa found on the side of a road:

1709903490238.png
1709903555826.png

Last edited:
Marvelous!
And such unusual plants are sometimes literally under your feet!
I also recently learned about variegated tomatoes. One of my friends took these out of curiosity. It seems to me that people like unusual plants and that is why there is a fashion for them now. But they really stand out from the crowd. When there are no fruits yet and only green leaves around, such plants attract all attention.

To be honest, I was very curious, are there super hot varieties of peppers with variegated foliage? I have Tiger Jalapeno and Hypnos from variegated peppers. But if I'm not mistaken they aren't super hot?

It's cool indeed and there is now a growing hype with variegated tomatoes and other vegetables as well.

I work in the field (environmental technician/biologist) and over the years I have stumble upon at least a dozen variegated plants in the wild. It is always fascinating to see how Mother Nature can be flamboyant from time to time! Here are 2 examples, the first being a Plantago major (found in my lawn!) and the other a Pastinaca sativa found on the side of a road:

1709903490238.png
1709903555826.png

Funny you mention that... I had a variegated weed last year and thought about commercializing it, thinking it would be a nice hipster thing to have to weed variegated plants 😶

Funny you mention that... I had a variegated weed last year and thought about commercializing it, thinking it would be a nice hipster thing to have to weed variegated plants 😶
Well, great minds think alike: I had the same idea😀🤑 Broaded-leave plantain is a perennial weed, so with a bit of luck I might find it again next spring!

Last edited:
Back