• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Squirrels???

I have a couple of habanero plants and jalapeno plants growing, just getting ripe, I lately I have noticed a number of pods on the ground with bites. I am surrounded by insane squirrels, could that be what is eating them? They don't seem to get very far actually eating them so they must get burned, but they seem to keep going back.

habanero addicted squirrels, ha ha ha

Welcome to The Hot Pepper Baxter, this is a great place to get loads of info and a cool place if you just want to shoot the breeze with some 'aaa' people. Enjoy.

Thanks. Have picked up some great info by just reading other posts. Cool place, and everyone seems incredibly helpful.

Baxter are you sure it the squirrels or birds I have trouble with the bird hitting and flying and have lost of squirrels and all they do is bury there nuts in the garden.
Dan

LET IT BURN

I think it is squirrels because they are crazy. They have eaten a hole in my city issued thick plastic garbage pale and go in there for food (waiting on replacement), they have jumped on my windows repeatedly, and during easter time when we hide eggs for the kids they break through the plastic eggs to get the candy. You would think though that they would try them and realize they aren't tasty but they seem to keep coming back. Interestingly enough, the one medium heat jalapeno I am growing has been picked over -- almost no pods left, but the hab and serrano and hot jap get tried, and ditched.

Probably squirrels. They are not very smart and will eat hot peppers (wait....wha does that say about us?). Find sme Predator Urine and sprinkle it around the area surrounding the plants. Do thi every other week and you should be fine.

If it's birds....then get a gun. Birds don't have the receptors thaat capscaicin sets off so they feel no heat and will happly eat the peppers. Then they'll fly over you car and poop on it just in spite.

I was going to say birds because from what I read they actually eat peppers pretty often. If it's a squirrel....................get a .22, blast it, and have fried squirrel. That's what I would do:hell:. Also, yes I do eat squirrels.:lol:

Yummy...DefCon 1 smothered squirrel...
food-smiley-016.gif

no offense Creator but I think Stillmanz Texas Pequin Sauce will go better with squirrel than DefCon1... :lol:

imaguitargod said:
He's not kiddingfolks, he'll eat em.

Hey, you remembered my post last fall eh IGG:lol:......yep I do eat them. Pretty good actually. They have there own taste and if cooked right they are actually pretty good. Cayenne does go good on it too. (Done it before.) The Defcon 1 sounds like a good idea.

Here is a couple of aways to get rid of the tree rats or squirrel as you call them Sprinkle pepper or paprika around squirrel prone areas or
some type of "sticky barrier" can be effective as the squirrels' hate the sticky feeling on their paws. If that don't work on them it 's time to break out the pellet gun or the 22cal. and the grill them things with peppers and Dales!!!:lol:

AlabamaJack said:
no offense Creator but I think Stillmanz Texas Pequin Sauce will go better with squirrel than DefCon1... :lol:

I'll take your word on that AJ...I have yet to try that sauce :lol: BTW, I have an excellent recipe for squirrel stroganouf (sp?) that if you didn't know what was in it, anyone who likes stroganouf would love. :lol:

Festus said:
Here is a couple of aways to get rid of the tree rats or squirrel as you call them Sprinkle pepper or paprika around squirrel prone areas or
some type of "sticky barrier" can be effective as the squirrels' hate the sticky feeling on their paws. If that don't work on them it 's time to break out the pellet gun or the 22cal. and the grill them things with peppers and Dales!!!:lol:

I don't know if Paprika or Pepper would work on these particular squirrels if they have already eaten bites out of a habanero.

And Rabbit, we know you love squirrels, but do you eat rabbits? :lol:

JayT said:
I don't know if Paprika or Pepper would work on these particular squirrels if they have already eaten bites out of a habanero.

dont talk about eating rabbits we have two rabbits as "children" my wife would kill anyone who thinks of rabbits as food.

JayT said:

Oh JayT they are good taste like Chicken!
just add a little Dales

squirrels don't like getting the Hot Foot:lol:

Back