• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sriracha Style Sauce

This is a fairly easy recipe. you can probably pass on the final straining step, but I find it makes the sauce really smooth. The recipe is easily scaled up.

Notes:This is a similar heat to Huy Fong Sriracha, but perhaps a bit milder. It's got a lot more complexity. The palm sugar really adds something to the recipe - you can get it at any Asian Market. I've tried rice wine vinegar and it's not as good. I'm sure it would be good with red jalapenos too, but fresnos are what I can get in the stores around here.

Adapted from a recipe on Food52

Calamityville's Sriracha

Makes about 1 1/2 cups
  • 1/2 pound red fresno chiles, coarsely chopped, stems and all.
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons palm sugar
  • Place the mixture and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Run it through a food mill using the finest screen
  • Bend it on high speed for a couple of minutes until smooth
  • Run it through the finest mesh strainer you have.

It keeps for a long time in the fridge. I've made larger batches and water bath canned.

If canning, bring the strained sauce back to a simmer before filling sterilized pints and water bath process for 15 minutes.

If you strain or mill a hot sauce, and you discard the pulp, you are discarding the actual pepper flesh, and are really just keeping juice. Try to keep the whole pepper and cook/blend it until desired consistency, much much better!

You can get it smooth as silk it just takes work and experimenting. But don't sacrifice pepper.

There is very little residue left over from this method. It just gets out the seeds and skins. Believe me, I'm way too cheap to sacrifice much.

I've got an acquaintance that takes the leftover seeds and skins from his hot sauce making process and dries and grinds it into a powder that he uses for his barbecue rubs. I'd probably do the same except I haven't had a working food dryer for several years.

Back