• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

St. Lucia Red Hab

I just received these seeds, and am looking for your feedback on growing tips.  I found this bit of info at puckerbutt.com.  Do you agree with it?

"A rust colored pepper that is small and pungent. The plant is small and hard to grow, but the rewards are great. The island native that gave me these seeds claimed that "the peppers grew very close to da water mon". Direct watering seems to stunt them, spraying them makes em flourish. They pack a punch that hits you like 100 proof rum and stays around like the in-laws."

And this...

Flavor:
Salty and fishy

St. Lucia is a beautiful place. It's a tropical climate and it's pretty humid. I reckon thats part of why he says, "spraying them tends to make em flourish." Never tasted the pepper..

it is considered a season pepper with little or no heat and have excellent flavor a touch of citrus
very prolific usually has nice side fruit as well
however your description doent add up to what a ST LUCIA is supposed to look like, there average Habanero sized and bright red they are a little pungent
i have a friend that grows them every year without fail and actually had a few i like them!
im not so sure what you have is St Lucia red? and i really don't know what it could be?

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
it is considered a season pepper with little or no heat and have excellent flavor a touch of citrus
however your description doent add up to what a ST LUCIA is supposed to look like, there average Habanero sized and bright red they are a little pungent
i have a friend that grows them every year without fail and actually had a few i like them!
im not so sure what you have is St Lucia red? and i really don't know what it could be?

thanks your friend Joe
That's not my description, Joe. It's from the puckerbutt.com site. All I have are seeds that I received from a forum member.

Jim, there is an Antilles Red Habanero. I`m sure you know that the Antilles Islands includes St Lucia. I have not come across a red hab that is specific to St Lucia, but that does`t mean much. Island Dan on THP is from St Lucia, so maybe you could PM him?

The Puckerbutt description is different from the Antilles Red Habanero I have grown, so maybe they have one that is specifically from St Lucia. As you didn`t get yours from Puckerbutt, maybe you have the Antilles Red? The Antilles is a large red Hab-type pepper with excellent flavor. I got seeds for that one from Jim Duffy, so I`m sure he`ll have more info on his web site. 

Roguejim said:
Roguejim said:
That's not my description, Joe. It's from the puckerbutt.com site. All I have are seeds that I received from a forum member.
ok still i could be wrong, but i saw a pick on CROSS COUNTRY Nursery's site that is a perfect match for the ones i know to be ST LUCIA RED in that pic they are the same as i originally described above and there large and bright red not rust and small

im not looking to bash Puckerbutt or anyone else or do i even wanna start a debate,as i said i still could be wrong or there are two species known by this name??
i suppose we will have to wait for the finished product
thanks your friend Joe

Rougejim,  your seed source is from ajijoe.  I am the one that traded with him and gave him some of the ones I got from you Joe. 

ajijoe said:

thanks your friend Joe

Joe, what is "side fruit"?
sosl0w said:
Rougejim,  your seed source is from ajijoe.  I am the one that traded with him and gave him some of the ones I got from you Joe. 

Thanks.

Roguejim said:

Joe, what is "side fruit"?

Thanks.
sorry Jim that was o type o and now im not sure but i think i was trying to say "wide" fruit cant quite remember my train of thought on this one LOL

THANKS YOUR FRIEND Joe

Back