• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Start of a wonderful thing. Puree

Got the chance to meet up with Captain Capsaicin (Jesse) last week and pick a pile of pods from his garden (all his plants looked awesome, and he has bigger plans for next year)  as we traded for several seeds he was interested in. So what to do with all the pods since I have 2 of my first ferments going now and am waiting to see how they come out before starting any more and have a decent supply of powder on hand now? I found Alabama Jack's thread awhile back about his Puree recipe and decided to give it a go.  I stuck with his guidelines and added a bit of fresh ginger and garlic to it.  So I had a big mix of pods and didn't use just one variety but separated them into Red's, Brown's and Yellow's and went with it.  Had about 900 grams of Red's, 450 grams of Brown's and 400 grams of Yellow's.  Only been able to sample the Red since canning it and am very pleased with the results, will alter the amount of garlic and ginger by adding bit more of both next time around.  Ended up with 27 - 4 oz jars with one of which being a mix of all 3.  Step Son came up with the names as he wanted to help do something and I asked if he could do the labels. It was great to meet yet another grower close by and see how he was doing things and what his ideas and plans were for next year as its winding down fast up here.

CvCyreU.jpg

GnomeGrown said:
Nice job.
Those should last you awhile, no?
Thanks. It will be plenty for awhile even with giving away a good bit. This seems to be a super way of preserving them without the cost and hasske of sourcing woozies and paying higher price since the mason jars are available locally for cheap without buying hundreds of bottles.

very nice looking!  I like the names~  :lol:  no worries about 'false advertising' with those names~

Sweet. That's a great way to save the harvest. You can use as- is, or run through a food mill for hot sauce, and lots of other cool stuff too. Saved purée is the starting block for lots of creative ideas.

Back