• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Started DWC Hydroponic Tomato

Ok so I've done a few other things besides adding the H2O2, I've also added some bleach in the system and then I really wasn't satisfied so also added a fungicide.
Mind you I did this within the same day of adding the bleach.
But if I would have to say which one worked, I would have to say the fungicide did the job and got rid of the pythium.
Just changed the solution yesterday and things are looking great!
Oh I also trimmed the roots to help get rid of the fungus.
See pics below taken about a few minutes ago:
1240001_630348857004985_1355910860_n.jpg

1208811_630348843671653_879136258_n.jpg

1002216_630348840338320_464145090_n.jpg

1209220_630348913671646_531106857_n.jpg

Hello, Nice project!

You are on the right track!

A few things caught my eye regarding your grow:

1. You are inviting pathogens to attack your plant by the use of a white bucket lid.

If you can't find a black lid, you should really consider foiling the top.

Every bad pythium outbreak that I've seen had always been present in white buckets with white lids.

2. With a mature root system, you should really consider lowering your water level.

You can experience root rot with excessive water levels.

I have two parameters I use when setting up dwc buckets:

New plant with no roots emerging from net basket, 3 gallons and 3qt's of water.

Plant with root structure, 3 gallons of water.

3. PH will also cause root rot. Use a ph down product. It will help buffer your ph level to be more stable.

Check ph on a daily basis.

Most nutrients will also try to buffer and maintain a ph with the use of chelated calcium. That being said, you should mix your nutrient solution 24 hours before use, then add ph down to get to the proper level.

Cheers!

theliveculture said:
Hello, Nice project!

You are on the right track!

A few things caught my eye regarding your grow:

1. You are inviting pathogens to attack your plant by the use of a white bucket lid.

If you can't find a black lid, you should really consider foiling the top.

Every bad pythium outbreak that I've seen had always been present in white buckets with white lids.

2. With a mature root system, you should really consider lowering your water level.

You can experience root rot with excessive water levels.

I have two parameters I use when setting up dwc buckets:

New plant with no roots emerging from net basket, 3 gallons and 3qt's of water.

Plant with root structure, 3 gallons of water.

3. PH will also cause root rot. Use a ph down product. It will help buffer your ph level to be more stable.

Check ph on a daily basis.

Most nutrients will also try to buffer and maintain a ph with the use of chelated calcium. That being said, you should mix your nutrient solution 24 hours before use, then add ph down to get to the proper level.

Cheers!

Thanks man!

To respond to your suggestions:
1. I did not know that with the white bucket lid so I will try to get a black one. I don't really want to foil the top though as I may have to re-foil again and again. So I will definitely get a black lid!

2. I have honestly tried lowering the water level but the plant doesn't seem to like that. I've noticed that when it was lower to about 3 1/2 gallons the plant was looking as though it was wilting.

I did seem to have a problem with stem rot due to high water levels from a previous experiment, however this was with a pepper plant. The tomato plant seems to be very resilient to high water levels.
I have followed your two parameters to some degree and this was based on research from what others have done, but again, this was research for a pepper plant.

3. Also did not know about the pH causing root rot so this is really good to know! Haven't quite gotten around to getting the pH down product as mentioned earlier by others in this thread but will try to get it as soon as I can.

I check my water temps and pH almost every 2 hours once I can but I definitely check those everyday.

Thanks for the useful information!!!

trinidadPepper said:

Thanks man!

To respond to your suggestions:
1. I did not know that with the white bucket lid so I will try to get a black one. I don't really want to foil the top though as I may have to re-foil again and again. So I will definitely get a black lid!

2. I have honestly tried lowering the water level but the plant doesn't seem to like that. I've noticed that when it was lower to about 3 1/2 gallons the plant was looking as though it was wilting.

I did seem to have a problem with stem rot due to high water levels from a previous experiment, however this was with a pepper plant. The tomato plant seems to be very resilient to high water levels.
I have followed your two parameters to some degree and this was based on research from what others have done, but again, this was research for a pepper plant.

3. Also did not know about the pH causing root rot so this is really good to know! Haven't quite gotten around to getting the pH down product as mentioned earlier by others in this thread but will try to get it as soon as I can.

I check my water temps and pH almost every 2 hours once I can but I definitely check those everyday.

Thanks for the useful information!!!

Hey no problem on the pointers! 

Tomatoes can be picky, that is for sure! I am glad you found a water level that suits your particular species! 

Here is something of interest. I am growing brandywine tomatoes in DWC buckets and they are growing very quick. So quick that im experiencing deficiencies because the plant is lacking in a root system to intake the proper amounts of nutrients.

Root rot will most likely be experienced in a higher PH level because the alkalinity will allow for pathogens to take hold and start growing.

Hope your grow is going well!

Cheers.

Growth seemed to have slowed a bit but fruit has started bearing and they are growing well so far.
I still seemed to have the issue with the root rot and boy is it a nuisance!
I've taken another step and decided to ensure that the netted pot isn't touching the water so right now it's at 4 gallons.
There are lots of bubbles so I know the humidity is great in there and the bubbles are actually causing very tiny droplets of water to hit the pot.
My only concern now is keeping the water temperature down to the required levels (55-65 at night and 65-75 during the day).
I've been doing some research on it but it's a little confusing to me and the equipment seems a bit pricey but I guess I'm searching for the wrong thing?

This was taken yesterday (24 September)
558297_634454539927750_1552349704_n.jpg

Although I have never used DWC outdoors, I have noticed in my DWC grows that the only time Ive experienced any sort of foaming it was temperature related. H202 every once and a while should help keep things from growing in there. But i also suggest wrapping your bucket, try to keep it dark and cool in there, Ive got tin tape on all of my lids to reflect the light. An emergency blanket or tin tape may help on the sides as well. 

Back