• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Starting a website

I thought I would try and ask how to start up a website. I am thinking of starting a business involving 2 topics just as a hobby type thing and I want to make a website. Any ideas?

Well first of all you need hosting. I use ventraip. Cheap but very good. Then you need a domain name. For hobbies go for .net.au. But if u have an ABN and plan on selling a few seeds go with .com.au.

But best of all go for this one. http://www.gettingbusinessonline.com.au/ Google and MYOB are giving away free hosting and free .com.au domain. You can after 2 years continue with the or move your domain.

If you don't know how to make a website try using templates. There are some really simple and good ones around or you can use wordpress. It's like a blog.

PS: I do web designing and other stuff.

I'll throw in a nod for Dreamhost as a hosting provider. They are pretty cheap with lots of free addons. They offer unlimited space and bandwidth, which most other providers do not (at least not in the price range Dreamhost offers). If you are not comfortable with building a site from scratch with HTML, then software such as wordpress will get you up and running pretty fast. Dreamhost has "1 click installation" of wordpress and other software. Very easy to do.

I hosted with dreamhost for almost 10 years and remember when they started up. The the site I was managing really took off after the owner opening up a store front to go along with his online shop and that's when the problems started. Apparently the site was too busy so they forced us to pay more to go to a dedicated server and then they just pulled the plug one day without any notice as to why, but said we violated one of our "terms" even though they couldn't tell us what one or why lol. I really didn't care and had the site on networksolutions in an hour anyway.

Like most of the small site providers they will give you the world until you reach out and take it!

I hosted with dreamhost for almost 10 years and remember when they started up. The the site I was managing really took off after the owner opening up a store front to go along with his online shop and that's when the problems started. Apparently the site was too busy so they forced us to pay more to go to a dedicated server and then they just pulled the plug one day without any notice as to why, but said we violated one of our "terms" even though they couldn't tell us what one or why lol. I really didn't care and had the site on networksolutions in an hour anyway.

Like most of the small site providers they will give you the world until you reach out and take it!

Hmm thanks for that info. I'll have to keep that in mind. The site I run is in no danger of getting large so it should be fine. But I'll definitely keep that in mind should I need a large volume site down the road.

You said business, and hobby. Which is it, and what is your budget? We can help better if we know how much you are going to spend, monthly, as well as for the design.

You said business, and hobby. Which is it, and what is your budget? We can help better if we know how much you are going to spend, monthly, as well as for the design.
Sorry for the late reply. It is a hobby that I am planning on making money with to go towards university. I am not expecting it to be overly large to be honest

Back