• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Starting Out Questions and Progress

Hey Everyone!

New here. Just started growing my first superhots about a week ago. I see a lot of conflicting information about whats best to do with what and when, so I thought I'd get to the heart of it and ask people with direct knowledge as I'm a pretty novice gardener.

I am currently growing Bhut Jolokias, Yellow 7 Pods, Red Habaneros, and Pusa Jwalas (all ordered from The Hippy Seed Company) and am growing them in Jiffy pellets. As of now (about 10 - 11 days in) only the Bhuts and Pusas have sprouted so I'm growing a bit concerned over the 7s and Habs.

Here are my growing conditions: As you can see below in the pictures I attached, I have the ones that haven't sprouted in the little jiffy greenhouse and the ones that are showing life outside of it under light. I read that fluorescent lights are better but I'm on a budget and didn't have any but it was noted that bulbs with "soft white" do the trick, so I used one of those. I am keeping them in my garage which easily gets in the 90º+ range and am making sure to keep them moist but not drenched and use the peroxide/H20 mix to keep mold away.

Questions about the 7s and Habs:
  1. Should I bite the bullet and invest in a real fluorescent or grow bulb?
  2. Is that too much heat (I think under that lamp it might even get to 100º)?
  3. Should I not have the plastic over them to create humidity? I have it on pretty much all the time, taking it off for maybe an hour or two a day when it gets really hot (Southern California).

Questions about the Bhuts and Jwalas:
  1. When should I put them into pots?
  2. When should I start giving them real sunlight.
  3. Also, I sowed two seeds too close together and they're are both sprouting. Should I just cut one back and let it die or can they grow just like that?

I'm also having a hard time deciding what kind of potting mix to use as there are so many. My head was spinning reading the soil sticky! Any tried-and-true recommendations for the hots I'm growing?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to sharing my results with the board and maybe trade some seeds!

The pellets circled in red are the Bhuts (there are four now as one popped earlier today after I took this).
peppers2.jpg

peppers.jpg

welcome to the site! where in California ar you? someone here will chime in and help ya out! this is my first year growing peppers other than Jalapenos. i have 13 on my balcony and i am planning on germintaing 5 more! here in San Diego i am sure i can grow year round! best of luck and look forward to seeing your reports as your little ones progress!

Eric :welcome: :beer:

welcome to the site! where in California ar you? someone here will chime in and help ya out! this is my first year growing peppers other than Jalapenos. i have 13 on my balcony and i am planning on germintaing 5 more! here in San Diego i am sure i can grow year round! best of luck and look forward to seeing your reports as your little ones progress!

Eric :welcome: :beer:
Thanks! I'm in Orange County so we're not too far apart. I definitely hear you about being to grow year round, especially with the heat going on right now. Can't wait!

let the two grow together I've scene some plants like that they twist them around each other like a rope. I'm growing a few like that it looks cool!

Thanks! I'm in Orange County so we're not too far apart. I definitely hear you about being to grow year round, especially with the heat going on right now. Can't wait!
where abouts in OC? where is live the heat has not been too intense! its been mid to upper 70's at my apt we have had 2 days of 80's and it was low 80's! LOL thats why i live here!

Okay, I'll be sure to grab one on my way home from work. Hope I didn't botch the whole thing by waiting so long to have them! I should also note that the Bhuts and Jwalas popped about 4ish days ago.

I live in Orange, which is about 10 minutes from Anaheim, Fullerton, and maybe 45 minutes from LA (without traffic - yeah right). Oh man, the heat here is killing me. Its been up in the 90s a few times this week already. The AC is doing overtime right now.

Anyone?

I'm most curious about when I should move these guys to a pot as they're getting larger by the day. I also bought a grow light to help them out.

I was thinking maybe it was too hot and humid for the 7s and Habs so I took off the clear plastic cover from the pellets.

All but 2 of 8 of my Bhuts have spourted. I think the garage may be too hot so I'm moving them into another room that stays in the low 70s but my 7s and Red Habs just won't come out! Any idea? Help? Anyone? This thing on?

I noticed one of my Pusa's young leaves had some browning at the tip. Is this from under watering or too much heat? And can anyone give me an idea of when I should transfer these to pots? Thanks!

Any idea? Help? Anyone? This thing on?
can anyone give me an idea of when I should transfer these to pots? Thanks!

howdy :welcome: to THP

to germinate seeds u dont need light just moisture and temp the dome is there for a reason and should be left on till the majority have hooked then remove the lid and give them light i removed my dome once a day to wipe the moisture off the inside of it then put right back on all my habs hooked between 7-10 days kept the jiffy dome greenhouse in my kitchen on the fridge temps stayed between 75-85 in the jiffy greenhouse with the heat from the top of the fridge after all hooked i put under the lights all i used was 4 daylight bulbs from walmart 2 4 foot fixtures
so mine went under lights at 11 days then at 17-19 days i potted up to 18 oz beer cups and back under the lights then around 50 days from sow i went to 5 gallon buckets and put them outside

heres a link to My log if you want to see what they looked like when i potted up each time

best of luck on your grow

:cheers:

Back