• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Starting pepper seeds in Promix BX + Mycorrhizae

So this is my third year of growing and second year of growing from seeds. My buddy grows and shows orchids as a hobby. I was telling how I use seed starting mix and move to a potting mix after the second set of true leaves. He asked if I ever used promix and said he would sell me a 2.8cf bag of loose soil for 15 bucks. So I took all my seeds from the 3rd batch and started them in the mix as soon as the seeds germinated. Wow what a difference. No yellowing leaves and the plants really took off they seem to look healthier than any plants I had ever grown from seed. My question is I thought this contained fertilizer and should never be used. He said he grows every plant this way.

There's no fert in Pro-Mix BX other than the tiny amount available in all peat. There is two kinds of lime though.

I do everything in P-M BX germinate, clone and grow.

Promix is pretty ideal for seed and clone starting. I use Promix HP by itself for germinating, then water with 1/4-strength fertilizer after the 2nd set of leaves begins to show, then move them to full Solo cups with my final potting soil (which includes Promix) after 4-6 sets of leaves are happily growing. They stay in the Solo cups until plant-out.

suchen said:
Promix is pretty ideal for seed and clone starting. I use Promix HP by itself for germinating, then water with 1/4-strength fertilizer after the 2nd set of leaves begins to show, then move them to full Solo cups with my final potting soil (which includes Promix) after 4-6 sets of leaves are happily growing. They stay in the Solo cups until plant-out.
Said like a pro.
Same thing here. Recently changed to pro mix as well and I agree seedlings took off compared to original soil mix.

Last year I used Miracle Grow potting soil, seedlings did ok, but this year I have over 200 plants I started way too early in Promix BX and I'm running out of room. They seem to love this mix. I've potted up about 30 plants to 1 gallon pots until I plant out and will do the rest soon, but when I'm transplanting I notice the roots are thick and fuzzy because of the Myco. This mix is awesome :)

Not sure if this is purely anecdotal in my case, but the Promix also feels 'grittier' than cheapo off-the-shelf potting soil. I feel it may have led to fewer helmet heads. I also saw better wetting, higher germination rates, and slightly faster (~1 day for superhots, 2 days for lemon drops) germination times compared to the $4 bag of whatever I started with this year. I just put down new seeds in a side-by-side comparison of Promix HP and Miracle Gro seed starting mix. Will update here with observations.

Back