• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Starting Peppers in DE

I have started some more peppers compliments of Wiked Mike since we have an awesome long grow season in Florida and decided to try and start them in diatomaceous earth and hydroponic nutrients described by Pepper Rancher who was using MHPGardner i believe of Masterblend, Calcium Nitrate, and Magnesium Sulfate. I placed them in a starter containers and in a large tray that can hold the nutrients. I started this on June 1st after soaking the seeds and by June 4th they started to sprout. On June 11th I got a grow light and placed them under it for about 15 hours of light at night (avoiding the additional heat in the house) and allowing it to get the shade in the house through the day. I am attaching photos I attempted to take from the same place but didn't do well. Next time I will put a camera on a tripod and leave it in one spot which would have been better I just didn't think of it. My plan is to thin out the doubles in the containers this weekend and transplant them into soil and pots and leave the remaining to grow more indoors for awhile until I select two to keep as indoor hydroponic plants to experiment with the kratky method. I also want to start dabbling in this type of gardening as Flborn is going to help me set up an aquaponics system when I get everything situated.

June 4th
20150604_205349_resized_zpsizwlvywe.jpg

June 11th
20150611_203632_resized_zpsbfzyze8e.jpg

June 12
20150612_191734_resized_zpstqdzbkrz.jpg

June 13

20150613_200332_resized_zpsb6n4weyw.jpg

June 14th

20150614_201225_resized_zpsj9mee68e.jpg

June 15th

20150615_185746_resized_zpsrgluxhuw.jpg

June 16th

20150616_172856_resized_zpssl2cgs4z.jpg

June 17th

20150617_190008_resized_zps0y7npykm.jpg

June 18th

20150618_175242_resized_zpsx1alry0u.jpg

June 19th

20150619_200706_resized_zpsxxnat3ym.jpg

The seeds were from april and are planted as follows

Scotch Bonnet MOA (SB MOA), Giant White Habanero (GWH), Aji Lemon Drop (ALD), Red Moruga Scorpion (RMS), Venezuelan Tiger (VT),  Sus Biberi (SusB), 7 Pot Gigantic SR Chocolate (7PG) , Aleppo (Alp)

SB MOA | GWH | ALD | RMS | VT | SusB
SB MOA | GWH | ALD | RMS | VT | SusB
SB MOA | GWH | 7PG | 7PG | Alp | Alp

Looking good!  Ive never heard of using DE as a growing medium... for some reason I thought it was really expensive (?)

Keep using that masterblend... im going to buy stock in them  (just kidding)  :P

Like four bucks for a large bag (maybe 40lbs) about the size of a regular topsoil bag. I grabbed it in the auto department of walmart. Today I am also going to be prepping 2 large totes to start your method on a couple plants I want to try that are in 4 inch pots currently a Caramel Moruga and a Chocolate Bhut Jolokia. I gotta admit this pepper growing thing is fun! Very glad I joined this forum I have been learning so much from it and met some awesome people!

So I have removed the duplicate plants from the planters and placed them in soil and solo cups. I had told myself I was not going to do this when I first planted the seeds, I was planting multiple seeds to make sure I could just thin out the weaker looking plants.....I should have known I was going to cave.

20150622_112835_resized_zpsom5fcjen.jpg

20150622_112840_resized_zpsf75fsxpx.jpg

Prior to their separation

20150620_214240_resized_zpsthy0njzm.jpg

I suppose now they can race and see what the differences will make. I am going to continue using the nutrient solution for both so there isn't too many variables.

While separating out of the DE I found the water/nutrient soaked DE to be mushy. Probably breaking down, texture kind of reminded me of clay, probably not good. But I see it is still absorbent and pulling the nutrient solution from the tray, when it does dry toward the top it is loose like it was originally. It was really easy to separate the plants and get the roots out.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I thought you meant Delaware...carry on ;)

hmm didn't think about that, I wonder if I can change the thread title because really.....Delaware Shmelaware  JK don't hate me Delawareans

Student of Spice said:
...texture kind of reminded me of clay...

Are you sure that isnt clay for absorbing spills if you found it in the auto parts section for $4?  I thought DE was white and powdery?  That looks like clay to me!

Back