• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds starting seeds

I had all kinds of bad luck germinating seeds until I went by what AJ posted in another thread. The only significant difference is I mist them twice a day instead of every two hours. After a week, about 1/4 of them have sprouted and more are popping through every day.

Mike

cliff n york, all you need is dirt, seeds and water. if you want to speed up the process use a heat source. I keep my seeds between 86 and low 90's. You can use anything that will hold dirt the more seeds you are going to try and germinate the smaller the container you might want to use so that they all fit on the heat source. and also something to put them in to keep them moist.

Dale

rainbowberry said:
Oh you know what I mean, just common air, whatever you want to call it :)
But with pure oxygen you can also get high. :lol:
Almost forgot light for when they start to grow. ;)

Omri said:
Now if you really want the little seedling to grow all big and strong, you need some CO2 as well. :cool:

What with the way I stand over mine and pant with excitement, they're getting all the CO2 they need.

After

How about after they get started? I was thinking of a couple of 10 gal fish tanks with the light hoods to hold the trays and provide light. Would this work OK?

edowling said:
How about after they get started? I was thinking of a couple of 10 gal fish tanks with the light hoods to hold the trays and provide light. Would this work OK?

I don't think most fish tank light bulbs would provide enough light. For the money you'd be better off buying a cheap shop light. You can just prop it up on some cinder blocks if you don't have any place to hang it.

Just started seeds last week trying the Jiffy pellet deal this year. It comes with a clear plastic cover and it is in the house. I'm concerned about the seeds "bolting" whereas they stretch and get to leggy. Is that from direct sunlight? I've had that happen prior with other seeds. Any input?

cyotefishing said:
Just started seeds last week trying the Jiffy pellet deal this year. It comes with a clear plastic cover and it is in the house. I'm concerned about the seeds "bolting" whereas they stretch and get to leggy. Is that from direct sunlight? I've had that happen prior with other seeds. Any input?

My put on leggy is there is just not enough light....

Good advice. Okay. I, too, am starting my naga and hab seeds this week in my dorm. Got grow light, jiffy pads, etc.

Question: Once germinated and ready for bigger pots, is there a soil mix that works better than others? I heard that peppers are acid-loving plants. Is this true? What do you pros out there recommend for fertilizer/plant food?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Back