• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Starting

I just started some habbies in a pot with some potting soil. I threw some seeds in about 6 inches down and then covered them up and watered them.

Unfortunatley, I just started them. I took the seeds out of habbies themselves.

Do I have any chance? Also, can I have the plant grow just in the pot? It's fairly large pot, definitely really big for the starting. If I put throw a stake in it when it grows and tie the stem to it, would it work?

keep them warm Ken, they'll turn up. If you have more than 1 to a pot it may get crowded later but they transplant easy.

Good luck :cheers:

bentalphanerd said:
keep them warm Ken, they'll turn up. If you have more than 1 to a pot it may get crowded later but they transplant easy.

Good luck :cheers:

I only have one plant growing. Should I grow more? I cant get seeds from ANYWHERE, it's too late. I went to lowes, home depot and some local farms...nobody had seeds for anything. Last year I grew a pepper mix, but I watered them way too much and only had a few at the end of the season before my dog started digging everything up and eating everything. This year I'm growing in a pot out of the way of other plants, In nice soil, and good light.

Six inches deep is a bit much....but as long as it's kept moist but not wet and around 70-85 degrees ya should have no problems. They don't need light until they actually come up.

I think of it this way...you're convincing the 'lil guys that it's springtime and they should come out and play. :)

Here's a nice bunch of tutorials for growing. (and he's got lots of fun seeds at good prices too)

http://users.comcen.com.au/~rev_neil/info.htm

QuadShotz said:
Six inches deep is a bit much....but as long as it's kept moist but not wet and around 70-85 degrees ya should have no problems. They don't need light until they actually come up.

I think of it this way...you're convincing the 'lil guys that it's springtime and they should come out and play. :)

Here's a nice bunch of tutorials for growing. (and he's got lots of fun seeds at good prices too)

http://users.comcen.com.au/~rev_neil/info.htm

Hmm....so I should probably put the seeds about an inch or two down?

I might start some Tabasco's and Amigo Diablo's since my heat tolerance has lessened a lot since the last time I was on here almost a year ago.

A half inch is good. I've even laid the seed on top of starting mix and covered with 1/2 inch vermiculite.
Germinating (such as in coffee filters) then transferring to soil is also a good thing.

Ken_Allen said:
Hmm....so I should probably put the seeds about an inch or two down?

I'd say a couple millimeters at most.

Seeds have some energy in storage, but its only enough to get them out to the light so they can start creating their own. At 6 inches down I would expect them to die before they ever poke out of the soil.

I agree with shallower planting...the first round of seeds I planted this year were about 6-7 mm deep...got a lot of them with their hats on...the second round I planted about 12-14 mm deep and had a lot fewer with their hats on...I have not planted any deeper than 14 mm...~1/2 inch

Hey Ken would you like some seeds?I have a ton of carribean red and yellow and some chocolate also I think.Let me know and we can get them sent out to you.PM your info to me.A couple of people here just did the same for a group of us here. Rich

My first two times I planted, I sowed a couple of mm deep.
But I saw some seedlings struggling.
Maybe that was their first test, only the strongest ones come out...

But the third time I didn't put them under soil at all.
Just covered lightly with perlite.

All you have to do put the seeds at top of soil in pot lightly press down then put some soil just to cover seeds on the top put the label what variety they are then water that way when is shallow seeds will germinate faster.

I agree with most of the others about shallower planting depth. I've always done about 1/8th to 1/4 inch deep and had great germination rates. I keep the soil/room at 80-85 deg F. I think at 6 inches deep the seed won't have enough energy in it to make it to the surface for some light energy. If you just planted them, I would consider digging them up and planting shallower if you can find them.

Back