• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Hi Shane
Boy, you said a mouthful... several in fact... ;)

It's a true measure of the harvest you had last year that you're still processing pods! Hot salt and powders look tasty, seedlings look awesome... You're livin' large Chief! :dance:

You sure do a heluva update! ..."Professor Powder" . I can see that powder in a fancy spice shaker......on a grocery shelf! You may want to look into a "handle" style grinder. Add your smoked chili chips, Maldon smoked sea salt....a few other indg. of your own. It works and it can sell.

Your plants look healthy, especially the ornamentals. I may grow some miniture ornamentals (8" max) for a border. That would look cool, but would be a hassel. The plants would need to be constantly picked and shaped to keep the growth moving. Too bad the chili's aren't worth eating. I'm still on the fence about it...as I was last year....like an "old crow" on a telephone wire....

Hey man Its always cool to see an upright freezer filled with frozen chili's not pizza's
Did somebody say your entering a TD ?....That sounds like fun...
Later, dude

Those powders looks like works of art. Denniz was kind enough to share some of his Superman powder with me and boy oh boy that stuff is good. Congrats on those sprouts but I am not surprised.....

Edit:
I dont want to conquer my fears :cry: . I just want them to stay far far away from me. Next time I visit here I am going to have my Raid beside me for comfort :neutral:

Congrats on dat “sprout alert,” always great to hear good news, fantastic! Man that powder looks awesome, enjoy and every ting keeps looking more irie mon by di day ^_^

*BTW I have some spare bandanas if you need one ;)
More sprouts today!!! Thanks for the kudos my brotha!

Hi Shane
Boy, you said a mouthful... several in fact... ;)

It's a true measure of the harvest you had last year that you're still processing pods! Hot salt and powders look tasty, seedlings look awesome... You're livin' large Chief! :dance:
Thanks Rick! I still got a ways to go...but the Yellow Scorps and 7s are just about done in the dehydrator. Gotta grab two more bags and into the smoker with them tonight. I kinda slacked off for a bit, but once I got done pulling last years pods and they were all in the freezer it was nice to have a little breather.

You sure do a heluva update! ..."Professor Powder" . I can see that powder in a fancy spice shaker......on a grocery shelf! You may want to look into a "handle" style grinder. Add your smoked chili chips, Maldon smoked sea salt....a few other indg. of your own. It works and it can sell.

Your plants look healthy, especially the ornamentals. I may grow some miniture ornamentals (8" max) for a border. That would look cool, but would be a hassel. The plants would need to be constantly picked and shaped to keep the growth moving. Too bad the chili's aren't worth eating. I'm still on the fence about it...as I was last year....like an "old crow" on a telephone wire....

Hey man Its always cool to see an upright freezer filled with frozen chili's not pizza's
Did somebody say your entering a TD ?....That sounds like fun...
Later, dude
Thanks Greg! I enjoy the ornamentals, but most of these will be gifted away. I need to get rid of them soon so I have room for the real peppers! Hope you do some...with your photo skills they'll be fun to watch on your glog! I am considering the TD...but I dunno yet??? Gotta make some stuff for my daughters football party and not sure that will be TD worthy. Lets see what the announcement is...

Those powders looks like works of art. Denniz was kind enough to share some of his Superman powder with me and boy oh boy that stuff is good. Congrats on those sprouts but I am not surprised.....

Edit:
I dont want to conquer my fears :cry: . I just want them to stay far far away from me. Next time I visit here I am going to have my Raid beside me for comfort :neutral:
I coulda swore I sent you some powders last year Pia...you'll get some of your own one of these days! Been watchin your grow on here and, um elsewhere hope your helmet heads figure things out for you. I have only had one this season, but I think I am about to get #2 on the ONLY Red Brainstrain to pop so far...Ughhh. I keep throwing a little more soil on the hook before it stands up to see if it can scrub it off.

Got a nice package today from smileyguy697 today...a few Devil's Tongue White seeds and some extract a friend of his makes...ummm nervous. Claims it tested at 1.6 million. So tomorrow they'll be back in the mail to you Doc!

Had several more pop over the last 24 hours...a couple more Numex Centennials, another one of Greg's Jamaican Scotch Bonnets (seeds were from 2007!), the third 7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son), and aaaaaa....heck I don't remember??? Here are some more pics from yesterday...
IMG_1038_zps62b63677.jpg

Numex Centennial...

IMG_1040_zpsed3e04a8.jpg

Explosive Ember

IMG_1041_zps96780b7a.jpg

PI438638 (Romy6)

IMG_1043_zps81a598ad.jpg

Goat's Weed...

IMG_1044_zpsc7312a6a.jpg

Fuzzy is evident Greg! Goat's Weed...

IMG_1045_zps1901bf17.jpg

Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)

IMG_1049_zps3d77081e.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

IMG_1051_zps29258fab.jpg

Yellow CARDI Scorpion (Romy6)

IMG_1053_zpse32eeaac.jpg

Group photo tray one...

IMG_1054_zpsb73dfdd1.jpg

Group photo tray 2...

Tray 3 is one shy of full...hopefully later tonight I will have the last candidate, then some rearranging has to happen to set up another spot under the lights.

Thanks for checking in folks!

You got it going man!
Shane, there's not a bad leave in the bunch.
P-Son's Carbons were badass looking last year.. You got the seeds from the right source. That is one pod that takes my breath away. I'm speechless..........until I can breathe........ :cry:

Yep.....that's a goat ....take the Xacto knive out and give it a shave....that's what I do............. :liar:

I like the table shot with the plant trays.......natural window light?

Nice job with the photo's. I'm going to have to leave here shortly to see what I can take pictures of tomorrow.....you obviously have it covered.

Have a great weekend !

Shane I’m starting to have reservation about that “auto-pilot” comment you made the other day. Someone’s been working their azz off to make dem babies looking marvelous!!!

Plants look great. I am growing five Goatsweed. PaulG sent me seeds and five of five popped. I can't bare to dispose of any. Ugh

Plants are off and running. No hiding skanky plants in natural light,those are some beauties. I'm with Greg, Indian Carbon is a great pepper. I can smell a fresh cut pod right now. Have a good weekend.

Those guys are growing fast, Shane!
They sure are! I am already trying to figure out how to fit another shelf unit in there! I am about to be out of room. I am only running the lights for 12hrs and some of them will need to be potted up in a couple weeks!

You got it going man!
Shane, there's not a bad leave in the bunch.
P-Son's Carbons were badass looking last year.. You got the seeds from the right source. That is one pod that takes my breath away. I'm speechless..........until I can breathe........ :cry:

Yep.....that's a goat ....take the Xacto knive out and give it a shave....that's what I do............. :liar:

I like the table shot with the plant trays.......natural window light?

Nice job with the photo's. I'm going to have to leave here shortly to see what I can take pictures of tomorrow.....you obviously have it covered.

Have a great weekend !
Can't wait to try one of the carbons...Pr0d sent me a couple pods and I ate one with dinner...remember it being painful, but not much more. Yes natural window light for the photos, coming through a sheer white curtain. I missed "prime time" but the light was still pretty good. The flash and the floros are ok, but Mr. Sun does best! The leaves are still in good shape, but pot pinch is inevitable from here on out...No matter how careful I am I still end up beating up a couple leaves.

Shane I’m starting to have reservation about that “auto-pilot” comment you made the other day. Someone’s been working their azz off to make dem babies looking marvelous!!!
Ya Mon...over care is the #1 cause of plant illness! I bottom water and rotate the trays so that the fan/lights can better benefit all the plants 2x weekly right now...and that's it. No muss, no fuss.

Nice healthy plants. Love that fuzzy goat's weed...
Thanks SG! I sure do love my GWs...never grew them before last year, and only then because my nursery gave me a "dead" one that had frosted back in a 2# container. I saved the seeds from the pods that had dried on the plant, watered it and stuck it in a window and 1 week later leaves started to appear. That one was one of the first ones sick last year, so I got rid of those seeds in case it was the source of my virus. I will always have at least one from here on out.

Plants look great. I am growing five Goatsweed. PaulG sent me seeds and five of five popped. I can't bare to dispose of any. Ugh
You sure won't be disappointed Pia!

Plants are off and running. No hiding skanky plants in natural light,those are some beauties. I'm with Greg, Indian Carbon is a great pepper. I can smell a fresh cut pod right now. Have a good weekend.
Thanks Pr0d! Thanks again for those BA seeds too. Hope I do them proud!

Sprout alert!!! Another Manzano...3 now and FINALLY one HP22B! :woohoo: Wish a Primo would pop, fresh out of seeds :mope:...Most of the new ones popping are from the replants, but the 7 Congo SR was from the original ones planted??? So there is still hope some will come to life.

Another day spent powdering...
IMG_1055_zpsac859dd9.jpg

Mostly Yellow Cardi Scorpions...maybe a few 7s mixed in there???

IMG_1056_zpsa5aab285.jpg

Smoked and gooey...this is one of the meatier supers I've grown so far.

IMG_1057_zpsd52a60c2.jpg

Here they are...evil smokey prunes.

IMG_1059_zpsfefc3d09.jpg

There so perdy...

IMG_1060_zpsdcdf460d.jpg

Two one gallon freezer bags stuffed full reduced to this little volcano of goodness!

IMG_1061_zps69ca205d.jpg

Put about 3/4 cup back into the coffee grinder for one batch of Hot Salt...

IMG_1062_zps98b53cc0.jpg

Here's how it looked when done...

Tasted the pure powder and DAMN hotter than I thought. Hit me in the throat so bad it felt like it was burning a hole in my eardrum. Odd because when I ate the pods fresh last year they weren't throat burners???

Thanks for stopping in everyone!'
Shane

Edit:
Oops forgot the next project...
IMG_1063_zps4089d111.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnets...these will be done a little different than the others.

Shane did you end up finding your bandana, hehe ... In all seriousness every think looks great and love the infused salt! Gotta tell ya I've never tried making it but you've inspired me so next time I make some powder I'll try making some, tks! BTW Great pics as always ^_^

Shane, you are an botanical/gastronomic/industrial artist...Wow! What an inspiration...

That "volcano of goodness" looks very much like a certain Lebanese agri-product I vaguely remember from the haze of the 1970s...

Gary

Shane did you end up finding your bandana, hehe ... In all seriousness every think looks great and love the infused salt! Gotta tell ya I've never tried making it but you've inspired me so next time I make some powder I'll try making some, tks! BTW Great pics as always ^_^
Na Mon...the fan in the window is working so well I haven't needed a mask the past couple days. Just important to stay upwind of the work area. The Salts is easy. Just the powder and seasonings you wanna add, blend, done. Great thing is you can really tone down the heat so folks that like spicy but aren't nuts can eat it!

wow... your four weeks worth of grow is bigger than mine i started mid NOV... lights do make a difference

!! awesome babies
My setup sure has me pleased. I wonder if I wasn't such a cheapo and ran them 16-18 hours a day what would happen? I looked hard at T5s this year, and even some HPS systems, but I already had a bunch of this stuff, so couldn't justify the expense. I will probably upgrade at least one shelf next year to T5s...or maybe the whole thing to HPS.

Shane, you are an botanical/gastronomic/industrial artist...Wow! What an inspiration...

That "volcano of goodness" looks very much like a certain Lebanese agri-product I vaguely remember from the haze of the 1970s...

Gary
Gary, thanks brudda...when I retire I will be in your neck of the woods (on the TX side). With about 150 acres of creek bottom to grow on. Winters a little harsher...but I'll take that! I'll leave you to HASH out your memories now...

Holy smokes man! They are cruisin along brotha! Very healthy babies!
Thanks Jamison! I am a proud papa! Can you tell???

Sprout alert!!! As excited about these as any...not one but two FATALIIS! Same pellet, but I'll keep 'em Boaf Boss!!! Fataliis last year turned out to be a cross...a cool one, but none the less they were "nots." Seeds were from a pod from Andy (Pulpiteer) and looked a little on the green side so I was concerned how viable they were. Please be true for me!!! :pray: Such beautiful pods and flavor...I wanna taste my OWN! :drooling:

PS...I always see ya'll down there lookin! v v v v but you never leave a comment... :mope: Join the party folks! If you're not a member...JOIN THE SITE then join the party!

Some incentive you say??? First person anywhere in the world to post here that's never posted here before gets 3 baggies of powder!

Shane makes great powders too! So be told...

Evil, smoky prunes... pepper volcanoes... hot salt... Cheet! You know how to live Chief!

Great update, man! Love the look of the powder out of the smoked Yellow 7's. Given the brown color of the powder, I bet you can smell the smoke from across the room!

Back