• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248's 2014 small wild grow

Well...after much debate between mama and I, WE (she) have come to the conclusion that I may have grown a few too many plants the past few seasons??? :whistle:  :crazy:

2012 I grew out about 70 plants not including the huge number of ornamental peppers which about doubled that number. I didn't regularly harvest the ornamental plants so I ain't counting those...and in spite of some virus issues I was able to put together an epic season. So epic in fact that I had to purchase a chest freezer to store all the excess pods for future processing. 
gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

Here is one 2012 pull...I had numbers like this EVERY weekend! My season started (too) early and lasted until Christmas that year. I finally finished processing them just before I started pulling pods from my 2013 plants...

2013 was a "smaller" grow and in spite of my best efforts to keep the target of 20 keepers I promised the wife...I still ended up with over 50 plants. The "problem" in 2013 was...I really had no problems. My plants stayed healthy which meant...even more and bigger pulls...
8jOj6q7.jpg

A 2013 pull...

1vMnn2m.jpg

and another...

The hits once again kept on coming. Every weekend...thousands of pods. Which is a great freaking problem to have, but not according to mama. :stop:

So this year is gonna be a real deal small grow. I have talked her into letting me grow out 5 plants all of which are awesome wilds that I am super excited about. All 5 varieties are from John (Pr0digal_son) I have so many cool varieties left in the seed bank, but they'll have to wait until I have more time to dedicate to my garden and family. 

For the past two years I have been a "geobachelor" which is a military term for folks that are stationed away from their families. I am only home on weekends...so dedicating so much of my few days home for the past two years to my grow has really been kinda selfish. 

All that being said, I am still a grow addict...so I have talked her into allowing a few more "must have" varieties. So to my 5 wilds I will be adding a couple staple varieties...oh and wait, I am overwintering 7 plants...well really 11 but 4 are just ornamentals for Bonchi plants. :rofl:

One overwinter is my growdown winner Birgit's Locoto...
Q8uHT1O.jpg

Official measurement for the contest was just over 11' tall. Seeds started on Valentines Day and final measurement on Halloween...fun contest. Haven't seen a growdown posted for this season??? Keep your eyes peeled folks, tons of fun!!!

Here is the list for 2014...
MnXBZ8B.jpg

Well not really a list as much as a photo...started 4 seeds each.

eXv4Twj.jpg

Soaked overnight...

7WH0E4w.jpg

Into peat pellets...

WrS7b9L.jpg

and set in the magic temp zone on the heat mat...

WPdRxsr.jpg

I verify temps using a meat thermometer and will monitor until It stays in the right temp area. 

8TA4kJ7.jpg

Temps slowly climbing for now...and there won't be much to report on for a while. These varieties are notorious for slow germination.

C. Tovarii 0/4
C. Exile Chacoense 0/4
C. Eximium 0/4
C. Galapagoense 0/4
Huge Rocopica 0/4

To those awesome varieties add the overwinters:
Birgits Locoto (3)
Romy Mystery Plant (2)
Pequin (1)
Goat's Weed (1)
Manzano (2) (still alive, but not attempting to overwinter...not gonna kill them on purpose though!!!)

I will also be sarting some Jals (Mucho Nacho) and Numex Big Jim's a bit later.

Here are links to my past two season's glogs...in case you're bored and have about a week to try to get through them both.
2012: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27268-stc3248-just-another-grow-log-holiday-harvest/?hl=%20stc3248%20%202012
2013: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36599-stc3248-2013-grow-log-seasons-greetings-and-seasons-end/

It for now folks...welcome to 2014!!! I will update when I can and show my growroom and the progress of the rest of the overwinter plants...Thanks for looking in, there are a ton of glogs this year! 

Great OW plants, Shane.  Did you have to resort to the
Christmas Tree lights strategy this winter?

Sawyer said:
Nice update.  At 80 degrees, your germ trays will be up and running in no time and you're right, that BBG7 will be kicking it soon.  The M7 already looks "lofty".
Still no movement on the starts...but it won't be long!?!?!?! :pray:

Jeff H said:
Like the update. The lone survivor will be lush with new growth in no time. The M7 too.

Obviously, you've got a ton of chances to eat the Birgits Locoto with how many pods you have pulled. How does it taste? Heat? Never had that one before.
Thanks Jeff! The Birgits has that signature Baccatum sweet tangy flavor. Very nice, crisp pods with a heat level on par with a cayenne...but much better flavor. They make a very nice pickling pepper...I have yet to powder or sauce any, but they'd be good that way too. Right at home on the dinner plate as a pepper that'll make you sweat but not kill you while adding a wonderful flavor to your meal.

jedisushi06 said:
whats the M7?
Jedi...I dunno? I covered that above the photos a bit. The grower that started the plant passed away and we redistributed his plants. It was labeled as M7...Nigel though that was for Moruga, but since that's a scorpion I though maybe Madballz 7...right now it looks like neither, but it only has it's small winter pods on. Should know more in a month or two.
maximumcapsicum said:
Love the trimmed 7 bubblegum. Will be cool to see it bounce back!
Yeah...I usually trim/top plants to get them bushy...but this one was unintentional. It died back when I was off work for two weeks and it didn't get watered. It'll be fine if I keep it watered. Both those plants are infested with aphids right now too...no natural predators this time of year. In a couple months the ladybugs and aphid wasps will take care of them little bastards!!! The story of those two plants lives. I have plans to grow several more plants up here at work, and will pay them more attention from here on out since my home grow will be so small.

PaulG said:
Great OW plants, Shane.  Did you have to resort to the
Christmas Tree lights strategy this winter?
Thanks Paul...you know me. Any excuse to keep/have a couple more plants and I am all in! As for the lights...only on my Birgit tree...think I posted this earlier, but it's so freakin awesome I am gonna post it again!!!
od4fbqr.jpg

Thanks errybody.

You're right, my friend, it's just as awesome the second time around!

maximumcapsicum said:
Looking solid stc! Nice Xmas pepper!
Thanks MaxCaps!!!!

PaulG said:
You're right, my friend, it's just as awesome the second time around!
Yup...or even awesomer!!! Ha! I went on a mountain run this morning and when I left the house at 0430 the car was covered in ice, so the high tech frost prevention system was tested and pulled through!

Not a lot to report...still no action in the germ tray. Some of the Bonchi plants are starting to show signs of lift though.
iPEOueH.jpg

Goat's Weed

F87u6JZ.jpg

Goat's Weed

mroi8VS.jpg

Charapita

krsJiZa.jpg

Charapita

0L4YU9s.jpg

More volunteers...damn the luck. I think there are 7 in this pic...Explosive Embers

bMTg8yW.jpg

Pequin still with pods ripening...

0d3yGnx.jpg

Pequin

QZAeZHO.jpg

Pequin

FqoVibt.jpg

One of my Bonsai plants...

uxNZR5g.jpg

And another...

That's it for now...a little overdue on a couple varieties. I figured Wednesday or Thursday for first hooks with my best guess. Still not worried, these are some very slow germ varieties. Next weekend I will be putting in the last two "approved" varieties, Numex Big Jims and Mucho Nacho Jals...one more variety to be sowed on Valentines Day for the growdown. Never grown a Frutescens, Aji Chuncho will be my first.

Nice bonchis Shane! That charapita is gonna look killer!

Shane do you have Facebook? I started a group for wilds ONLY we have people from all over the world sharing pics and info on lots of varieties. Lmk and I can add you or anyone. Just PM me ;). Nigel is having a blast there LOL, we're all just going nuts with all the awesome varieties there is.

-Walt

Good to see the older ladies putting on new growth Shane!

And glad to see you're going to have a "volunteer" come Feb 14th!

I tried to find the low profile pots last weekend in SA, none to be found in the common places. Probably need to order online.

stc3248 said:
...one more variety to be sowed on Valentines Day for the growdown. 

Devv said:

Darn it Shane, don't put that in print where it could be read. :eek:

Scott's approach is much better, but she might get suspicious when there is a 4' hole dug with buried irrigation lines for a "volunteer"  :rofl:

Good luck either way .

Good luck germinating the stubborn ones, buddy!

Looks like you are having fun with the bonsai/bonchi plants!

Vegas_Chili said:
Nice bonchis Shane! That charapita is gonna look killer!

Shane do you have Facebook? I started a group for wilds ONLY we have people from all over the world sharing pics and info on lots of varieties. Lmk and I can add you or anyone. Just PM me ;). Nigel is having a blast there LOL, we're all just going nuts with all the awesome varieties there is.

-Walt
Thanks Walt! Yes I do have FB, I will shoot you a PM.

GA Growhead said:
New grown is looking good. Love the trunks on those bad boys.
Thanks J! They do have some nice legs! We shall see how they turn out. I think I lost one to either frost or the root trim, but most are looking pretty strong.

Nick08* said:
How long have the seeds been planted for again?
I think today makes two weeks...still nothing to worry about, but I figured one or two may show me something by now. The second round I started only a week ago, so they' may be a bit longer. I know my temps are good, I keep checking and double checking. Patience....not my strong suit! So, I checked one each of the original starts. The seeds are nice and swollen and look about ready to pop...it's gonna happen.

Devv said:
Good to see the older ladies putting on new growth Shane!

I tried to find the low profile pots last weekend in SA, none to be found in the common places. Probably need to order online.
Yeah...could be ground for divorce! Low profile pots??? You mean Bonsai?

Jeff H said:

Darn it Shane, don't put that in print where it could be read. :eek:

Scott's approach is much better, but she might get suspicious when there is a 4' hole dug with buried irrigation lines for a "volunteer"  :rofl:

Good luck either way .
Ah...she don't check up on me here...we're safe enough talking openly. I don't plan on going quite as all out with my prep work this year. I plan on putting two contenders in the ground. Both in the same general neighborhood as the big Birgits. I grew a 12' Bishops Crown in one of the spots without even trying to go so big year before last. Good soil, lots of beneficials. It's in a spot that was once my compost pile...and once I used most of it up, I mixed the leftovers in. I also emptied my two 50 gallon worm bins in there at the same time. The soil there is already loose enough and worked deep enough that I shouldn't have to do too much to grow a nice plant or two. We shall see... My only real worry is the virus coming back to haunt me going inground this year. A two year rest should be good though...

maximumcapsicum said:
Great update Shane! Love the bonsai pics. Looks like your bonchis are coming to life too. How long you think before they are foliaged?
You know I am thinking they'll look pretty cool in a month...and just get better from there. We shall see.

PaulG said:
Good luck germinating the stubborn ones, buddy!

Looks like you are having fun with the bonsai/bonchi plants!
That is the story with wilds right? It is also the part of the draw to them for me though. The Bonchi/Bonsai plants will be a fun distraction. I am hoping to step up my photography game some with them this year and put together a really nice album like Fatalii.net has...

Thanks for the visit folks! I have to go earn my paycheck now! But first...

Small harvest from when I Bonchi'd the plants...

Ue7WJsQ.jpg

The view at the start of yesterday's trail run

Shane

Nice pics of the Pequins Shane! I was having some troubles starting the ones I got from you in Pro-mix so I started some more seeds in Horticubes since coheed had such good results germinating wilds in them. I think I got a little carried away since I started seeds for Pequins  I got from both you and smokemaster, plus Wild Brazil I got from you, Goat's Weed, Dilley Street Tamwork, and Chintexle. They're all wilds, so I don't think they'll take up all that much space in just one season, but needs must... I'll find homes for them. Cheers!

Peppers and running are great companions! Both bring you health and plenty of time outside. Great update!

Your bonchis are some of the best I've seen outside of fatalii.net. Going to be a pretty great album by the time you're putting it together. Any plans for your small harvest?

stc3248 said:
Haha...far enough and fast enough. I only carry my gps when I am ramping up to an event...when I am out just to get it in I run unplugged. No music, no gps...phone there, but off and only for emergencies. I suspect I ran around 12 miles or so.

ha, ok...  I go running sometimes too, but I usually go just over 5 miles every single time.

Back