• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc's comeback down south grow...

Hey THP...been a while and much has changed for me and my family. We accepted orders to Charleston, SC and now reside in a small town just north of there called Moncks Corner. I haven't really had a grow in three years, so it is going to be nice getting back out in the dirt. My modest list thus far:

Red Brain Strain 7 pot:   coheed
Orange Brain Strain 7 pot: gnslngr
7 pot Monster Infinity: gnslngr
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate: gnslngr
Reaper 
Charrapita Yellow
Primo X (my cross)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
SB7J: Romy 6???
Naga Reaper
Fatalii
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Barrackpore
Large Yellow Brain Strain
Yellow Bhut: Spicegeist
Yellow 7 Pot Primo: Romy 6
UBSC
7 Pot Rennie
Brown Moruga
Butch T
Douglah x Butch T: gnslngr
Yellow Cardi Scorpion: Romy6

I sowed 3 seeds each for these varieties, but expect some no shows. Many of these seeds are almost 10 years old. My grow setup will be two grow tents with 300w Mars Hydro LED lights on the seedlings and as they get bigger they will graduate to 600w Mars Hydros. My main garden this year will be in straw bales, but I may keep a few indoors under lights all season. 

The Baccatum and Annuum lists to follow...

I've missed growing and the THP community.

PaulG said:
Merry Christmas!

Regarding germinating old seeds:

Here's an interesting how-to video from MonsterGardens.com.
They are using their proprietary materials, but the technique is
well explained, and I think someone clever like the THP crowd
could make the ideas work pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRWrjy8UGg
Very cool...I already put every seed in the dirt for some of these. I could always dig them up and give this a try!

PaulG said:
I think just following his regime with DIY ingredients
would be pretty simple.  I am going to use a peroxide
soak this season. Never done that before. I need to
look up ways to oxygenate water for the second step.
I would think any sugar would work, maybe the simpler
the better.  I wonder about fructose... :think:

So oxygenated water and peroxide (H2O2) are not the same thing then? Maybe a dumb question but I was never good in chemistry... :D

Evidently not, Marc. To quote a friend, "I might be wrong"  ;)

I guess the activity of the peroxide comes from the extra
hydrogen atom. 

Any luck yet, Shane?

Nothing popping as of yet...these seeds weren't very well taken care of (my fault) over the past few years and may no longer be viable. Even some of the lettuce seeds stored with them aren't popping. I threw a deeper hail mary and planted large numbers in containers to see if anything pops, but they've been in for a while now with nothing showing. I know my setup is solid, so I think I may just order some fresh seeds and start again. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear, Shane.

Mine have been in the germinator for 9 days,
so still holding out hope for the older seeds. 
I have so many old seeds in my jars it's hard
to think about tossing them all.

With your mad skills, you can order, germinate, 
and plant out way ahead of the rest of us as it is.

Good luck, buddy... I hope the mass planting
produces something for you.

CaneDog said:
That's a bummer nothing's come up stc. There are a lot of good varieties in your list and would be cool to see some pull through  How long ago did you throw the hail mary?  Do you plan to let them still sit a while while you get going with the new batch? 
Theyll all keep cooking. It is sad that some of these were pretty much one off. Oh well, Ill get something going.

stc3248 said:
Theyll all keep cooking. It is sad that some of these were pretty much one off. Oh well, Ill get something going.
I wouldnt give up hope just yet, I had some seeds take almost a month. I had given up on them and quit checking my dome tray after 2 weeks and every other day Id find another one popped.
Lesson I learned:These little basturds can take upwards of almost a month to finally pop, so Im holding out hope that soon well get some little hookers showing up

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
I wouldnt give up hope just yet, I had some seeds take almost a month. I had given up on them and quit checking my dome tray after 2 weeks and every other day Id find another one popped.
Lesson I learned:These little basturds can take upwards of almost a month to finally pop, so Im holding out hope that soon well get some little hookers showing up
Yeah...this aint my first rodeo with these varieties. Im still hopeful that a few may pop, but when theyve been down this long with 0 hooks...not looking good.

Fresh seeds ordered...to be continued.

Soldier on, Shane! I know you will knock it out of the park, buddy!

Can't wait to see what you order.  If you see anything in my grow,
feel free to ask.  So far some good germ rates on some varieties,
waiting on others. I might as well give some the seed away, it's not
getting any better!

Well...so far I have ordered these from PepperLover...

Collection: Devil’s Tongue
Bhut Jolokia Red
Trinidad yellow 7pod original strain
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo
Carolina Reaper
Moruga Scorpion Red
Fatalii yellow
Texas Wild Tepin

And these from The Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State...

NuMex Big Jim
Jigsaw                                                           
NuMex Twilight
7 Pot Douglah 

I am fairly confident that some of my Annuum seeds will germinate, so I haven't ordered many of those...was hoping to grow quite a few ornamental varieties so I am going to dig back through my seeds looking for any of those and give them a shot. I have a few Jalapeno varieties that I am hoping I can pop as well. I ordered enough germination supplies to be able to plant a bunch so something is bound to sprout.   Will update once my seeds and supplies get in.                                               

stc3248 said:

Collection: Devils Tongue
Bhut Jolokia Red
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo
Carolina Reaper
Moruga Scorpion Red
Fatalii yellow
Texas Wild Tepin

NuMex Big Jim
Jigsaw                                                           
NuMex Twilight
7 Pot Douglah 

I am fairly confident that some of my Annuum seeds will germinate, so I haven't ordered many of those...was hoping to grow quite a few ornamental varieties so I am going to dig back through my seeds looking for any of those and give them a shot. I have a few Jalapeno varieties that I am hoping I can pop as well. I ordered enough germination supplies to be able to plant a bunch so something is bound to sprout.   Will update once my seeds and supplies get in.                                               

Im intrigued to see how your jigsaw turns out, looks slightly different from mine last season

stc3248 said:

Collection: Devils Tongue
Bhut Jolokia Red
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo
Carolina Reaper
Moruga Scorpion Red
Fatalii yellow
Texas Wild Tepin

NuMex Big Jim
Jigsaw                                                           
NuMex Twilight
7 Pot Douglah 

Numex Twilight is a really pretty ornamental. I plan on growing it this year for first time. Still need to make my order with C.P.I.

Linda

I feel ya on poor germ rates. Funny how all the seeds are kept in the same tupperware type container, been prepped the same, and some go nuts, others just don't germ. I did have a MoA germ the other day, after like 6 weeks The tiny cotys end to end are like 3/8" . Meanwhile, the ones planted at the same time are forking and trying to bud.

I've been slacking big time on keeping up with my seed collection...

Devv said:
I feel ya on poor germ rates. Funny how all the seeds are kept in the same tupperware type container, been prepped the same, and some go nuts, others just don't germ. I did have a MoA germ the other day, after like 6 weeks The tiny cotys end to end are like 3/8" . Meanwhile, the ones planted at the same time are forking and trying to bud.

I've been slacking big time on keeping up with my seed collection...

Mine were damaged because we moved them out of the house into the garage during the renovation of our house out in California. It gets super hot in there and they spent the better part of three years out there. I am hoping some of Annuum seeds dealt with the conditions a little better.

Not giving up on the originals just yet, but...

1x Chocolate Bhutlah Pepper Seeds 

1x Black Magic Tomato Seeds 

1x Black Zebra Cherry Seeds 

1x Moruga Satan Strain Red Seeds 

1x Scotch Brain Strain Yellow Seeds 

1x Caramel Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Seeds 

1x Jigsaw Pepper Seeds 

1x Bhut Orange Copenhagen Seeds

These are from Pepper Joe's. Still haven't received the seeds from Pepper Lover, but I did get the ones from CPI.
9YnGXqv.jpg

This Jigsaw is an ornamental that looks sort of like a tri-color variegata...The ones from pepper Joe's are the ones that were trying to contend for the world's hottest.

RzWQDF2.jpg

I also put down one more round of some of the original seeds with a long H2O2 soak this time plus some of the Annuums that I had in there to see if they do any better than the Chinenses. I also planted the Douglah from CPI...something is gonna happen and when it does I hope my next problem is running out of space.

Thank y'all for checking in!
Shane

Back