• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stefan_W's 2013 Pods A-Ripenin'! Glog

I am going to start the new glog for my upcoming growing season on a bit of a personal note. One year ago tomorrow (January 3rd) is the one year anniversary of the day that my daughter was diagnosed with a tumour that is lodged in the middle of her brain. The past year has involved treatments and hospital stays, and there were at least three different points when we were pretty sure she was not going to make it. But she is a fighter, and nothing could keep her down for long.

Sofia has personally planted every pepper and tomato seed that I have started in the past three growing seasons. She beat the odds last year to help me, and once again she is defying what medicine has to say to help me out this year.

We started a jalapeno plant about a week ago just for the sake of watching it grow, because we both love it so much. One of the jalapenos grew to the point that it had its firt couple of leaves, so we transplanted him into a bigger pot. While we were at it I decided to put in some aji lemondrops, partly because they take a long time to fruit up and I wanted to give them a huge head start.

This is the jalapeno plant. I pulled the second one out because we did not need it, and discovered that the roots had grown all of the way down to the bottom of the cell.
IMG_0962.JPG

My daughter personally doing the transplant.
IMG_0964.JPG

Her aim is better than mine, and so it turned out perfectly.
IMG_0966.JPG

Next up was taking out the lemondrop seeds from peppermania.
IMG_0977.JPG

I need a few extras of this type, so I asked Sofia to plant two seeds in each of the four cells. Two plants will be for us, and whatever else grows will be given away to good friends.
IMG_0979.JPG

Two of the three tiers in my lighting stand are currently being used as toy shelves, which is cool for now. The lights are adjustable, and moved down to get close to the seedling.
IMG_0980.JPG

The heating pad works extremely well, and once the cells are covered the top clouds up in no time.
IMG_0983.JPG

A happy early jalapeno seedling in his new home. I thought I heard "feeeeeed meeeeee" coming from that direction, but I'm not sure.
IMG_0985.JPG

That's it for today, folks! Welcome to my new glog :welcome:

Nice pics Stefan! Your Yellow Brain must have some TS genes in it, because my biggest plant was my Yellow 7, and it also kept ripening pods through the cold weather. Now that I've pulled the last pod from it, the plant is beginning to drop leaves and go dormant. I'm thinking seriously of expanding my OW plans to include it along with the Butch T, Manzano and Douglah.

Some of us don't mind hearing about sweet and medium heat peppers... you could always post your glog on the "growing other" section if you wanted to.

This weekend is our 16th wedding anniversary... my wife is Canadian, and we chose this holiday to get married on both because we love this time of year and because it was a long weekend on both sides of the border. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Enjoy your holiday!

Love the pod picks, the Yellow Brain just wants to keep on chugging..

This may be the hot pepper site, but if you do make a glog next year, I'll be there. I really like it when people show the other parts of their grow. It just makes it complete.

Amazing yellow lady you have there pumping out pods in below freezing weather and she only had a few leaves at the beginning. I tell ya if that isn’t a cry out for her begging to be OW’d … and now that you’re changing your medium, you should carry one over. Great pictures of the fruits of your hard labor, hope you have an excellent Sunday and if you don’t have a glog you will be missed brethren …

stickman said:
Nice pics Stefan! Your Yellow Brain must have some TS genes in it, because my biggest plant was my Yellow 7, and it also kept ripening pods through the cold weather. Now that I've pulled the last pod from it, the plant is beginning to drop leaves and go dormant. I'm thinking seriously of expanding my OW plans to include it along with the Butch T, Manzano and Douglah.

Some of us don't mind hearing about sweet and medium heat peppers... you could always post your glog on the "growing other" section if you wanted to.

This weekend is our 16th wedding anniversary... my wife is Canadian, and we chose this holiday to get married on both because we love this time of year and because it was a long weekend on both sides of the border. Have a great Thanksgiving!

You may be right about the genetics of the yellow brain. I chalked it up to that plant being the only one that was in the ground rather than in a pot, but who knows.

Happy anniversary!!! I hope you have a great weekend, and that your special day turns out great :)
Devv said:
Enjoy your holiday!

Love the pod picks, the Yellow Brain just wants to keep on chugging..

This may be the hot pepper site, but if you do make a glog next year, I'll be there. I really like it when people show the other parts of their grow. It just makes it complete.

Yeah, the focus on peppers here makes sense because it is a pepper forum, but it never tells a true story about the gardening experience in a given year. I love my pepper plants, but I also love my tomatoes, and my peas, and my berries, and pretty much everything else I stick in the dirt. I'm still mulling things over about next year. Maybe I'm still pining about giving up last year's overwintered plants that did so great this year. That was a tough one.
WalkGood said:
Amazing yellow lady you have there pumping out pods in below freezing weather and she only had a few leaves at the beginning. I tell ya if that isn’t a cry out for her begging to be OW’d … and now that you’re changing your medium, you should carry one over. Great pictures of the fruits of your hard labor, hope you have an excellent Sunday and if you don’t have a glog you will be missed brethren …

I couldn't agree more. Part of why I have kept the brain around so long is because I love how huge it is, and a part of me wants to overwinter it. I plan to make some sauce with the pods tomorrow, and how it tastes fresh will be the deciding factor. If it does not blow me away there isn't much point to keeping it around for an extra season.

Thanks for the kind words. I have not decided 100% about a 2014 glog yet, and regardless I'll be keeping up and staying in touch. I'm writing another academic application package this weekend so I can't get caught up at the moment, but my friends here are never far from my thoughts.

Wow Stefan, those are monsters! Those are going to burn for sure. I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving this weekend my friend! ;)

Just skimmed through many pages and have to say Nice glog.  :)  You've done so well considering the early adversity and a really short season.  I love the sauce and jelly posts too! 
Definitely entertaining enough to justify a glog next season, super hot varieties or not.
Hope all the family is well. :)

Back