• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Stetto Seeks a New Weather Site

I've used Wunderground for years, it morphed overnite into ass; super slow, super stupid, hard to look at.

Whose sites do you folks recommend? I've been to two today, both of which showed the same lethargic meandering navigation, too feature rich to simply give me a radar summary and a forecast. One of 'em was the Weather Effing Channel itself...

Any help?

[SIZE=10.5pt]I was all about WUnderground until the change.  Unfortunately, Accuweather is anything but that for my area, being generally poor and on occasions it will even shown 0% COR while it's raining. May be excellent elsewhere, but it's been stinking it up here in Seattle. Now I mostly go to a local news station that has radar on their site and does a decent job with their hourly and near term forecasts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Seems like in parts of spring and fall when the weather patterns are changing are generally the toughest times and the rest of the year they're more accurate.  My beef with weather services is that when it's a coin toss I'd rather they just tell me it's a coin toss instead of picking one of the models that may be only a 50/50 chance and telling me that's what's going to happen.[/SIZE]

I've tried Accuweather too, not really what I seek. Something simple. I think HM01 has the ticket. I already have them bookmarked, and I guess they're the "authority", if there is such a thing in weather anymore. I'm just not much for trusting the government to get anything right these days...

The local guys are cartoons to me. A lot of people, especially down towards the Cities, call them "weather terrorists" now. The alarmist way is the only way, it seems. We have those panic strips along the bottom of our tv screens scrolling constantly from September to May, and every other day in between.

Just this morning one local station forecast 4-8 inches of snow for tomorrow through Friday. The next station on "the dial" claims 12-18 inches, along with 50 mph winds, death, devastation, the whole package.

I'm old enough to remember watching THE WEATHER FORECAST on tv. This ain't it. I don't click on "alert" links anymore, just want a current temp, a 12 hour ACCURATE forecast, and a navigable radar.

So thanks guys,

dragonsfire said:
Forecasts in general are useless, hardly right, at least in my area.
I look sometimes at theweathernetwork.com, I used to use Wunderground.

But geez Neil, aren't you close to where the Ice Road Truckers race?

Like everybody else, I always used Wunderground. Shit-canned it. I recently started using Weatherbug. So far, it does what I need. ymmv

CaneDog said:

[SIZE=10.5pt]My beef with weather services is that when it's a coin toss I'd rather they just tell me it's a coin toss instead of picking one of the models that may be only a 50/50 chance and telling me that's what's going to happen.[/SIZE]

One feature I really like about the NOAA site I linked to is the "forecast discussion" (link found under the forecast area map on the right side of the screen). Their meteorologists do a good job of explaining confidence in and discrepencies among the different computer models they're using. If they're not in agreement yet, they say so and explain why one may be more looking more reliable than the others.

Actually the best weather forecast was when we had the little box with the Man/Woman, bad weather the Man came out, good weather the Woman came out, back in the 70's. 
Been actually looking for a decent one the past year, also for a Barometer, but those things a Frelling expensive, ridiculous for a pressure gage.

9d72f497fead92cafb67a6e80456f185.jpg

stettoman said:
The local guys are cartoons to me. A lot of people, especially down towards the Cities, call them "weather terrorists" now. The alarmist way is the only way, it seems. We have those panic strips along the bottom of our tv screens scrolling constantly from September to May, and every other day in between.

Just this morning one local station forecast 4-8 inches of snow for tomorrow through Friday. The next station on "the dial" claims 12-18 inches, along with 50 mph winds, death, devastation, the whole package.

I'm old enough to remember watching THE WEATHER FORECAST on tv. This ain't it. I don't click on "alert" links anymore, just want a current temp, a 12 hour ACCURATE forecast, and a navigable radar.

So thanks guys,

This is my #1` issue! - WEATHER TERRORISTS! - Love it! And after this "alarm" about "potentially severe weather"  being told what to wear for it (I'm 60 tears old and you ain't my momma!)! So if I listen to these scaremongers, I'm, wearing a hooded rain slicker & knee high waterproof boots, and there's a mist in the air!

Fortunately here in Boston there is one local station out of five that does not use these scare tactics to keep you glued to their weather forecasts, that's the one I watch and trust. 

CaneDog said:
My beef with weather services is that when it's a coin toss I'd rather they just tell me it's a coin toss instead of picking one of the models that may be only a 50/50 chance and telling me that's what's going to happen.
The above is another of my pet peeves, which "model" the station chooses to use and it seems the doomsayers keep using the EURO Model...

stettoman said:
I've used Wunderground for years, it morphed overnite into ass; super slow, super stupid, hard to look at.

Whose sites do you folks recommend? I've been to two today, both of which showed the same lethargic meandering navigation, too feature rich to simply give me a radar summary and a forecast. One of 'em was the Weather Effing Channel itself...

Any help?
WeatherUnderground was recently assimilated by IBM, hence the change. May I ask what features you're most interested in? I used it to display the conditions from my weather station, but half of the time it returns some moronic message about Brutus being in the server room.

[Edit] sorry... I just read back over your posts.

If you're not opposed to using an app, 1Weather Widget Forecast app seems pretty stable. I haven't found a web-based site I liked more than WU pre-IBM.

If you're not opposed to using an app, 1Weather Widget Forecast app seems pretty stable. I haven't found a web-based site I liked more than WU pre-IBM.

Back