• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

Now, for my PT post...I would have an update here of new sprouts and plants lost, but I'm in that doldrum time between vegetative events. Everything is doing well, for what they are. The OWs are slowly filling out and getting ready for some healthy production.

I've been slowly Solo-potting pepper plants, but I'm realizing just how big a grow I've gotten myself into...My grow next year may be relegated to OW maintenance.

Sorry Scott, maybe you get the next one...

A PT post with no pics is, is, is just weak.

;)

The Large Orange Thai pods are over the top, Eric.
You are showing the Northern growers how to do it,
all right!

Good luck managing your too-large 2019 grow, buddy!
How much snow do you still have on the ground?

PaulG said:
A PT post with no pics is, is, is just weak. The rule book doesn't stipulate. Besides, I didn't want Devv or CaneDog swooping in under my nose, you know what PT hogs they are...

;)

The Large Orange Thai pods are over the top, Eric.
You are showing the Northern growers how to do it,
all right!   I'm really proud of that one, Paul. She pods up like a champ, but takes forever to go into the ripening stage. Having her in a 4 gallon pot gives me a lot more control!

Good luck managing your too-large 2019 grow, buddy!
How much snow do you still have on the ground? Egad, too much. We had a pretty heavy pack this season, at least for us. Lots of below zero added to a more miserable winter than usual. So we still have a LOT on the ground, as fast as it seems to be melting, lots of deep drifts blocking access to the 8th acre and SPRING!!

I was going to gift you a pic of those overnight germinated F7s, but I am apparently running out of upload space...Time to go Extreme, perhaps? I know it wouldn't hurt the Boss' feelings!

stettoman said:
I was going to gift you a pic of those overnight germinated F7s, but I am apparently running out of upload space...Time to go Extreme, perhaps? I know it wouldn't hurt the Boss' feelings!
It's worth it just to be able to upload pics directly
to the site from any of my 'devices'. 

We can wait patiently for the F7 pics.

:liar:

Hope they are all thriving under your watchful
eye, Eric! 

Kudos on scooping Devv and CaneDog!

Keep on shoveling, buddy! Spring is coming!

i grew Large Orange Thai last year and when i put them in 3 gallon fabric root pouch grow bags i was hesitant i didnt give them enough space
wrong
They did great ! 
very productive and most managed to ripen before first frost  :party:
also it made it pretty easy to save one as an overwinter, even put it back in the 3 gal root pouch pot/growbag
 i can only imagine how much bigger and more productive a larger pot and longer season would do with LOT but i'm gonna keep growing it in those 3Gal

Also wanted to tell you, i finally got a pineapple rocoto sprout :dance: dang those took a long time this year  :confused:

:cheers: 

Devv said:
UR too funny, you count for the PT?

When I get one is just because it happens, now I'm a PT Cruiser...LOL  --> :rolleyes:  <--

Would a leaf blower help that snow? Just a few simple mods is all....

No I don't count for the PT, I don't care about the PT, but I now know who does... :shh:

Would that leaf blower be gas or electric? And how soon can you get that up here?

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
i grew Large Orange Thai last year and when i put them in 3 gallon fabric root pouch grow bags i was hesitant i didnt give them enough space
wrong
They did great ! 
very productive and most managed to ripen before first frost  :party:
also it made it pretty easy to save one as an overwinter, even put it back in the 3 gal root pouch pot/growbag
 i can only imagine how much bigger and more productive a larger pot and longer season would do with LOT but i'm gonna keep growing it in those 3Gal

Also wanted to tell you, i finally got a pineapple rocoto sprout :dance: dang those took a long time this year  :confused:

:cheers:

Yeah, these dang LO Thais really pump them out! I think I finally have a handle on them this year, gonna get me a BUMPER crop! Our first frost was on the morning of September 1st last year, totally devastating, aggravating, and unexpected. But it does happen.

And I'm still waiting on the Pineapples to pop, but I'm also still waiting on Giant Brown Rocoto and Big Jims. Everything else I have at least one of. My sister expressed a desire to kill some more pepper plants this year and wants a LO Thai, which I didn't plant. The only seed I have is from dehydrated pods from my thermostat-less Waring dehydrator last winter. Here comes a science experiment!

PaulG said:
It's worth it just to be able to upload pics directly
to the site from any of my 'devices'. 

We can wait patiently for the F7 pics.

:liar:

Hope they are all thriving under your watchful
eye, Eric! 

Kudos on scooping Devv and CaneDog!

Keep on shoveling, buddy! Spring is coming!

I've been putting off the Extreme membership for too long, the site really is worth it...

And yeah, I've never had a grow start so well. I hope it's a good sign!

Science experiment. I've never saved seeds out of the dehydrator, mostly because I'm told that seed "cooked" at over 105°F are rarely viable. But my sister wants to try another Large Orange Thai this year (she killed last years model with nary a pod), and I find myself without saved seeds--except for what dried with my pods from last year. So-o-o-ooooo.....

I took a temp reading after the dehydrator had been running over an hour. This 30-40 year old Waring has no temp control, and the destructions say that it should be factory set @ 140°...I'm wondering if these units lose heat generation over time, though I wouldn't know how or why. For all I know the heat takes 24 hours to climb as high as 140....

20190330_125347.jpg

So I dug a few dozen seeds out of the bag my dried Thai peppers are in and put a small fistful to soak in a H2o2 bath. Anyone care to make a prediction on %?

I've grown Anaheims for more years than even the Darlin' Bride's precious Bells...ALWAYS had great seasons with them...some even counted as stupendous...

No joy on my Big Jim seeds, planted twice, even. Third time's the charm then. I'm soaking about 60 seeds now, if none of these germ I'm going to dump the lot and buy starts. There's just something....dirty...to buying someone else's success when I can't get my bread-&-butter pepper to germinate....

...I don't go down if I don't go down swingin'...

While we wait for Anaheim/Big Jims and my LO Thai starts to make a decision for me, an OverWinter report:

Considering my facilities and the challenged nature of my faculties, I did rather well keeping a number of pepper plants alive through this last, tasking winter. Except for my Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango and LO Thai, the only Pubescens to reside in a south facing window this year were a Turbo Pube and the Large Red Rocoto of cutworm attack fame last summer. They both had an abundance of fruit hanging from them and had earned special natural light privileges.

Early this year all the remaining OWs, all Rocotos, were brought up to make room for the nursery that my grow area became. At that time I began trying to kill my OWs via repot. I was largely unsuccessful, though it did get scary for a week or two...

The Aji Mango drop all but a half dozen leaves within a few days of trim/transplant. I believe the main contributer was the two tablespoons of straight Alaska Fish Fert that I mixed into the 8 quarts of potting soil/perlite mix. But alas, and behold! She lives...

Aji Mango OW 4-7-19.jpg

Lots of new growth, I think she's gonna be a monster for me this year.

The Grande Dame, my Aji Amarillo OW, is behaving somewhat bonchi...This one hasn't gotten a new bed to wiggle her toes in (actually their toes, there are two in this pot). I hope to get them into a ten gallon townhouse this Spring, I have no illusion of being able to separate them. They come from two different seed lines from PaulG, one from pods Paul grew, one from seed he actually got from Peru. They both produce very well, one thinner, longer pods, the other a stockier, thicker pod, though the taste and heat are identical.

Aji Amarillo 4-7-19.jpg

My Panic Pepper, the LO Thai. I dug it out of the 8th acre in hopes that I could get it to continue in a 5 gallon planter...It actually worked. It now already has pods on it and is budding up. I know how these guys bush up, I'm counting on no different from this.

LO Thai OW 4-7-19.jpg

Now to the Pubes. There are a few, and yes, I killed a couple; An Aji Oro that I spent a lot of effort to keep going, but it simply gave up, and a Giant Yellow that was a transplant mortality. These guys in the living room are, from front to back: (floor) Aji Mango, Aji Largo Rocoto, a leggy Rocoto Rojo (one of two) and two Peruvian Red Rocotos, the one on the end table yet to be repotted. The one that has been repotted is my most vigorously regenerating Pube, it seems to want to fill every empty cubic mm of space with green. I hope that translates into pods soon...

Overwinters mango 4-7-19.jpg

On the dining table, from front-right to rear, my most recent repot (yesterday) a Large Red Rocoto, then a Rocoto Rojo, which has lost a number of leaves due to the same over fertilization of repotting soil, my beloved Turbo Pube, and an Aji Arequipeno, all courtesy Thegreenchilemonster two seasons back. In fact, ALL my Pubescens OWs are from Dale, muchas gratitudas, Ese!!

Overwinter table 4-7-19.jpg

That slutty looking weed in the middle is the Darlin' Bride's two year old torture project, a poinsettia. I refuse to comment further, lest it incriminate me.....

And last but not least is a pair of Ecuador Red Rocotos that weren't separated at birth but are doing ok sharing. Only thing: I only got one pod between the two of them last fall/winter, but a huge number of blossoms. The blossoms from these two plants are NOT the same. Hopefully this season I'll get to find out which Rocoto the "other" may be....I'm not sure why one has the much lighter coloration, it's actually a fairly recent development. But I figure if it's a nute deficiency, why aren't both plants affected?

Overwinter Ecuador Red 4-7-19.jpg

As if it ain't enough, for OWs it's all I got. We in zone 3 are still 6 weeks from full time outside, so the ride might get heavy....Let's hope for a warm Spring, yeh?

Everything looking good, you have a lot going on, Eric!

I think that even 113F is too hot for seeds in general.
I had good luck drying at 95F when my dehydrator
Thermostat still worked. I am going back to just air-
drying in paper towels again.

PaulG said:
Everything looking good, you have a lot going on, Eric!

I think that even 113F is too hot for seeds in general.
I had good luck drying at 95F when my dehydrator
Thermostat still worked. I am going back to just air-
drying in paper towels again.

Yeah Paul, I don't have a lot of hope for these LOTs, but it isn't going to hurt to see. Nothing so far on them, nor any of my Anaheim types, but the dirt isn't going anywhere...might as well have something in it, right?

Besides the Anaheims, the seeds I've taken from all my Rocotos have germinated gloriously, dried on a paper towel. The seeds I took from Windchicken's very generous gift of PDreadies two seasons ago are still germinating at near 100%, as did your Peruvian Reds. The PdNXBMJ, not quite so much, but we can remedy that this season, right? As long as we get one, we have one, or so it goes....

I forgot to kudo Devv for the LO Thai, that seed came from a nice envelope full of milder, gentler peppers. I have Paprika seed and the Gochu and such, but my harvest of those last year was over and above my expectation, so I'm giving them a rest this season.

...Oh, and I have one last Root Riot pod inseminated with a dozen or more of the last PdNXBMJ F7 White seeds, seeing if I can get just one more. I have two violet and one white, planted when the LO Thai seed went in...

stettoman said:
...Oh, and I have one last Root Riot pod inseminated with a dozen or more of the last PdNXBMJ F7 White seeds, seeing if I can get just one more. I have two violet and one white, planted when the LO Thai seed went in...
That's the spirit, Eric. Glad to see your grow taking off,
and that you have some of Tristen's cross to play with!

An interesting observation: some species grow insanely slow.

One of the plants here is a De Seda Yellow Rocoto. I can vouch that these plants all "hatched" within a week of each other. The De Seda has 2 siblings, under lights, the same size. There are everything from Sri Lanka Chillis to PDreadie SB to Gelbe Riesen and Antakes in this pan.

20190408_153732.jpg

It's amazing how some plants refuse to hurry.

I'm just bored, folks. Waitin' for snow to fall.

stettoman said:
Oh, and still no joy from GIP's Pineapple Rocotos...From his description I was real interested in discovering their flavor symmetry with the chokecherry jellies, but it's looking like I'll have to try it again next season...We're just getting too close now...
I only got the one Pineapple Rocoto sprout, and its still a helmet head  :banghead:

maybe i'll toss out those seeds :neutral: , thats a real disappointment  :mope:  

stettoman said:
Are they Pepperlovers'? Now that I know about them I'm pretty excited to get one going....Well, next season, but stilll.....
yes, originally purchased from pepperlover 
but those were self saved seeds from a plant i grew out, i normally don't have any problems with seeds i save :think:  maybe the pod they came from wasn't quite ripe enough? 

stettoman said:
An interesting observation: some species grow insanely slow.

One of the plants here is a De Seda Yellow Rocoto. I can vouch that these plants all "hatched" within a week of each other. The De Seda has 2 siblings, under lights, the same size. There are everything from Sri Lanka Chillis to PDreadie SB to Gelbe Riesen and Antakes in this pan.

attachicon.gif
20190408_153732.jpg

It's amazing how some plants refuse to hurry.

I'm just bored, folks. Waitin' for snow to fall.
Looking good, how old they? Id imagine theyd have good growth coming shortly but in your climate slow probably works better :seeya:

Back