• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

Proof of XL Brown life;
20200312_090437.jpg

My 1st germ tray, Aji Oro to the left (thanks Linda & Adam!) And Rocoto Amarillo to the right (TGCM rawks!). Only one hook starting to poke out, if you look really close...
20200312_091004.jpg

And for those who need green, my Growdown entry--
20200312_091413.jpg

And yeah, I have a "list", not satisfied with it, but it's coming. No, really....

I mean it, soon. Don't badger...

stettoman said:
Ok, mark your ledgers if you're following along:

We have a hook, an XL Brown Rocoto, one of CaneDog's. I haven't done the math yet, but of the two seeds I planted, this is the one that I rotated on-and-off the heat pad, between +/- 80° and 65 (remember that conversation?).

I'm pretty damned giddy.

Film at 11.....

That's awesome, Stetto.  Those XLB seeds I got last year weren't in great shape, but fortunately they managed to get me a plant to maturity.  Glad I could get you better seeds this time that you had a chance with.  The pods on these are just awesome with the apple shape and the super glossy deep brown. Grow the heck outta that one - I know you will!

Bryan, you think you funny, but you should know better than to believe there's EVER leftover chocolate cake in this house, much less anything else...

A-a-a-and VOILÀ! Rocoto XL Brown under "glass"!
20200314_101939.jpg

Todays project is to plant 36 Big Jim Heritage seeds graciously endowed upon me by our beloved CaneDog, an Uncle Eccoli Aji Limo or 3, and replacement Aji Amarillo for the 4 year old the aphids murdered....

As of 3:00 this afternoon, here is my highly professional, sterile and excrutiatingly documented germination table. All seeds from the previous post are planted, time for this boxed-wine snob to put his feet up.
20200314_150007.jpg

With the failure to keep the damned aphids at bay upstairs, this season will be a might tricky, and I'll have to keep seedlings in here longer than normal. So I've ordered an additional 600 watt LED grow light array, and hardening off should be a fun exercise...

Stay tuned, another tray coming soon!

I find I'm not the only one finally getting around to "sewing" the pepper bric-a-brac, but it was kind of tedious: I use these really fine Swiss tweezers to place seeds, and that damned kerosene soak (spelled H2O/H2O2) makes 'em slippery as wet snot (try to get that image out of your head!). I was chasing oops all over the damned grow room...

So the final planted count:

Sown between 02/01 & 03/11
Growdown Fatalii -1 
XL Brown Rocoto (CaneDog) -1
Big Jim Legend (CaneDog) -32
Aji Oro (roper2008/Bhuter) -24
Rocoto Amarillo (TGCM) -12
Aji Limo (Uncle Eccoli) -4
Aji Amarillo (PaulG) -2

Sown 03/21
Ecuador Sweet Rocoto (Canedog) -2
Aji Arnaucho (TGCM) -2
Aji Largo Rocoto -3
*Aji Limo? (from 2016 package PaulG Peru-sourced Aji Amarillo*) -3
"Costco Bell" (no, not Cascabel) -6
Haskorea (PtMD989) -3
Urfa Biber (Devv) -3
Jimmy Nardello (Devv) -3
Aleppo (Moruga Welder) -3
Antep Aci Dolma (Moruga Welder) -3
Large Orange Thai (Devv) -2

Tomatillo -2
Tomato "Legend" -2
Tomato "Abe Lincoln" -2

These in addition to the various and sundry OWs that the aphids don't finally kill, mostly Pubescens.

*Aji Limo?* is a calculated attempt at finding a Chinense needle in a Baccatum haystack. My first season growing the luscious Aji Amarillo I was generously gifted seed by PaulG, who sent 4 different variants including one marked "Peruvian seed, 2015". I planted several, 10 or more IIRC, and at least three of those proved to be a completely different specie, Aji Limo. How these seeds became included with Aji Amarillo was never pursued, but the peppers, in both red and yellow, were fantastic, to me and several of my friends. Being as I still have those packages of seeds I'm going to try to recreate that occurence. My Uncle, Eccoli, has saved me any mystery by sending along the real McCoy, and those are planted as well...

I grew nothing in the half-of-an-eighth-acre last year, this year There's gonna be a lot of peppers in there. Again.

I have seeds I really mean to grow from a lot of THPers, but some of them will have to wait, as I'm trying (again) to keep my humble grow....well, humble. The PepperGuru deserves a huge shoutout not only for the seed he's sent me, but for inspiration and motivation, tips, tricks, facts and pure pepper-centric religion...You, Rich, are an unarguable dude, dude-and-a-half, perhaps two dudes!!

Alright, wish me luck, dammit.

Glad to see you rollin' along, Eric. Always
entertaining reading your posts. Can't wait
to see your eighth-acre full of awesome plantage!
Let me know if you need any more Aji Amarillo
seed from my peruvian descendants.

I still can't figure out where those Aji Limo came
from. I  had no pods the one time I planted them.
Possible they got mixed in when my friend brought
the seeds back from Peru. At any rate, I hope they
really get it on for you.

Good luck going forward. Stay sterile!

PaulG said:
Glad to see you rollin' along, Eric. Always
entertaining reading your posts. Can't wait
to see your eighth-acre full of awesome plantage!
Let me know if you need any more Aji Amarillo
seed from my peruvian descendants.

I still can't figure out where those Aji Limo came
from. I  had no pods the one time I planted them.
Possible they got mixed in when my friend brought
the seeds back from Peru. At any rate, I hope they
really get it on for you.

Good luck going forward. Stay sterile!

I remember quite the discussion being had over those Peruvian seeds, you couldn't figure how those got in there either, but it was a wonderful adventure and mystery, and I won in the end!

Man, some of these seeds! I have both tomatoes and tomatillos out of the dirt in just 4 days!! And today CaneDog's Ecuador Sweets are poking through too!! What are you doing with those pods to get such fast germinating seed, mang? First the XL Brown and now these?

stettoman said:

Man, some of these seeds! I have both tomatoes and tomatillos out of the dirt in just 4 days!! And today CaneDog's Ecuador Sweets are poking through too!! What are you doing with those pods to get such fast germinating seed, mang? First the XL Brown and now these?

That's awesome!  It's not what I'm doing with them; it's obviously what you're doing!

Oh, yeah, plus I soaked them in a solution of meth and Adderall before sending...

Back