• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stetto's First Winter Grow ('16-'17)

Well, here we gro, October 14 and the setup has begun.

14681754_179490489166911_3328693517186987941_n.jpg

My heat mat is unregulated, no thermostat, but measures (without sunlight) @ 87.5F. As can be seen, the 20+ inch deep mat is folded up at the window sill, which should help in deflecting any winter chill getting through the glass. This window will one day be a garden window extending around 9 inches out from the house, to facilitate all manner of horticultural misdeeds...But that's another story...

The lil' ziplock box in the photo is the start of my winter experiment, some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seed obtained through the good graces of Jeff Contonio. My other seed is in transit from Australia:

Aji Amarillo

Jalapeno Tormenta

Bert the Chilli

I've been trying to grow Aji Amarillo for some years but have never been able to get seed to germinate. I've blamed the seed (innocuous Amazon purchases) up till now, but I have a lot more faith this time around since finding a reputable vendor. Note that only one superhot is being planted----For now.

After germination I intend on sowing into Solo cups (I've heard a wive's tale that you use the red ones for more than just the song), and eventually into 1.5 gallon pots. Even though I brag about the growing strength of the local soil (primordial ooze), I think I'll either hybrid it with non-soil potting mix or not use dirt from the garden at all.

I expect to do quite a bit of pruning, hopefully to encourage bushyness and to promote production in smaller accomodations. I'm sure I can find plety of input on that subject in these pages...

This is my first inside grow, let's see what happens. Any advice/pointers/warnings/pokes/prods/words of encouragement are welcome....But ya doesn't has to call me Johnson....

bpiela said:

I think you still need to give it light or it will die.  I don't believe the OW'd pepper plants act like cacti and can go dormant and live in darkness.  They still need some kind of light.

Yah Ben, no worries there. The "dark" end of the office gets indirect light from both a northern and a southern source. She's doing quite well!

Eric, that Aji Amarillo is HUUUUGE.  The best.  
Super spectacular. The most amazing Aji Amarillo
pod in the lower 48. Really.

I hope that baby ripens up for you - looks like a
great seed pod - there should be over 100 seeds
in that piece of heaven.

Holy shit, I've never seen an Aji Amarillo that big. What hormones are you feeding it? I'd go out of my way to make sure it ripens and save seeds from that bad boy. Looks like some good genetics right there. Put them apart from the other Amarillo seeds as well!

Back