• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sticker Shock

So I went to the grocery store today to pick up a few items and got STICKER SHOCK! It seems that over here in my neck of the woods Red Jalapeños are selling for a whopping $9.99 per pound :crazy: and Habeneros are selling for $8.99 a pound :shocked:

I actually asked the store stockers and they couldn't believe it either. Two different stockers went to check the prices in the computer as well as in the books. It was the correct amount. I told them I have 114 pepper plants growing and I couldn't stomach the idea of paying that much. They agreed.

I know we were talking about prices in another thread but it was really a sideline from the threads focus so I figured this thread would show what the heck people are paying for peppers this summer. :sick: :scared:

mixed hot peppers(yellow wax/serano/the odd habanero) $8.19/lb.
green jalapeno $ 3.99/lb; red fresno $2.99/lb; red serano $ 3.99/lb.

I bought a container of orange habaneros at walmart for $ 2.97 (100 gram container, about 12 peppers).

As for plants, I bought a habanero and red caribbean hot for $ 2.56 each. I bought a hot lemon (burpees) $ 1.99, then a few others annuums for $ 1.49.

At my local supermarket the only chillis they have are generic "Hot red chillis".

They go for $6.80 lb and they taste like cardboard.

Maligator said:
So I went to the grocery store today to pick up a few items and got STICKER SHOCK! It seems that over here in my neck of the woods Red Jalapeños are selling for a whopping $9.99 per pound :crazy: and Habeneros are selling for $8.99 a pound :shocked:

I actually asked the store stockers and they couldn't believe it either. Two different stockers went to check the prices in the computer as well as in the books. It was the correct amount. I told them I have 114 pepper plants growing and I couldn't stomach the idea of paying that much. They agreed.

I know we were talking about prices in another thread but it was really a sideline from the threads focus so I figured this thread would show what the heck people are paying for peppers this summer. :sick: :scared:

Yikes! They better be some damn tasty peppers for that price!

Maligator said:

That is actually quite cheap compared to what my grocery store is asking for their small tubs of "mixed chiles". Last I checked 100 grams was about $5 so I would have to pay just over $20 if I wanted a whole pound of bad quality chiles. The prices is the reason I started growing chiles, just how piss poor the selection is is something I realized later.

(But it really isn't as bad as it seems - all food is more expensive in Sweden compared to the US. A BigMac costs more than $5 as an example)

EDIT: Come to think about it - maybe it's worse than it seemed?

Yeah, it is worse than it seemed

I would be pissed if i only had 4.95 and wanted a big friggin mac.

$.99 store- Fresno 1lb , Jalapenos 1lb. , Sometimes 1/4lb. of orange Habs. , Anaheim 1 lb. , Serrano 1lb. , Caribe 1lb. , Ancho 1lb.

Villarta and other Mex. Marts- $ 7.98 - $ 9.99 Lb. Dinosaur Manzanos , $1.89 - $ 9.98 lb Orange or Peach Habs. , $1.00-$3.00 Lb. Ancho,Serrano,Jalapino,white Chile,Banana,Bajio,De Arbol,Cascabel(dry),New Mex.dry,Guajillo(dry),Ancho,Habanero(morida),Chipotle(DRY),Cal. (dry),Pequin (dry)1/4lb.

Seafood City (Philipean store) Thai Peppers $1.39 1/2lb.,Fresh Pequin $3.00 lb. dry Pequin $300 1/4lb.

here where I live there is 1 grocery store that has Habs for $9.99 a pound.......less than a mile away is another grocery store that sells Habs for $3.99 a pound....

Habs 7.99 a pound jalapeno's 8.99 a pound all dry and shriveled up. they taste like card board. The one That are local grown have no heat.

Back