• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2012 Gochu Pepper Glog

Well, here we go... Started about 35 Korean Gochu Peppers and a few Korean salad peppers, jalapenos and orange habs. All are mostly up today but the habs. I started them early last week in my heated grow tent down in my cellar on top of a grow mat, but didn't have the thermostat quite dialed in. When I left it it was 70 degrees f. in the tent. When I checked again the next morning it was 85 degrees, and I was afraid I'd cooked the seeds, so I moved them onto my kitchen windowsill on the grow mat and awaited developments. Looking much better now. I'll give the Habs until the weekend to pop, then move the flat down to the grow tent.
SANY0252.jpg
tentheater2.jpg
growtent.jpg

Hi Robert! Glad to have you stop by!

The smoked Jalapeno sauce is really concentrated. If you like that... well and good, but how to fix it for non-chileheads? I thinned it out a bit and mellowed it by using a half a cup of the sauce as a base and cooking it together with three quarters of a cup of Cherry Cola, half a cup of Tomato Ketchup and a quarter of a cup of Honey. (You could use Corn Syrup instead.) The result is a good-tasting glaze to caramelize on barbequed meat when it's done cooking.
SANY0094.jpg

That sounds great :)Usually I like to have a concentrated version of hot sauce, and for non chileheads I dilute it with a homemade tomato sauce or ketchup.

You get a hot ketchup that goes great on pasta with eggs and cheese.Just a few days a go I made some hot ketchup using 3 purrira peppers on a half litre of tomato paste, with onions, garlic and other spices.

I was basically just slightelly modifiing this recipe
http://www.ketchupre...com/tomato.html

three quarters of a cup of Cherry Cola, half a cup of Tomato Ketchup and a quarter of a cup of Honey. (You could use Corn Syrup instead.) The result is a good-tasting glaze to caramelize on barbequed meat when it's done cooking.

What, no Whiskey or Beer? :)

Actually I bet a really good Malty Dark Ale would be great with that sauce too. I never would have thought of trying the Cherry Coke in it. Good one Rick

Thanks for the link to the Tomato Ketchup recipe Robert... I'll definitely be using that. I can borrow a food mill from one of my neighbors, so that should come in handy. How did you tweak your recipe?

Actually I bet a really good Malty Dark Ale would be great with that sauce too. I never would have thought of trying the Cherry Coke in it. Good one Rick
Hi Bill
Tried the glaze on grilled Kielbasa when I got home for a late lunch, and it's fantastic! If I ever make the glaze with beer, it'll probably be a Belgian Trippel.

Cooked up some more Apple-Habanero sauce last night with the Maya Red Habaneros... they're a little milder than the Orange Habs... and with a smoother finish.

I used my tomato sauce, run 3 purrira peppers, bell pepper and onions through blender, ad it to the paste and cooked it until it was thick enough. the rest of modification is this - I used a tbs of allspice powder, half tbs of cinnamon powder, one spoon of mustard with seeds (since I didn't have those ingredients in required form. Also I didn't use celery seeds and I used a little less sugar since I don't like sweet ketchup. The rest was as in recipe.

I liked it a lot, will make more :)

In the mood for chowder tonight but my wife is feeling congested because it's Ragweed season, so I made Rhode Island style fish chowder (no milk). Fried a small tin of Anchovies in hot oil and threw in the chopped onions... As the onions cooked, the Anchovies just dissolved. When the Onions were translucent, I added the diced Potatoes, a bottle of Clam broth, a healthy pinch of whole dried Thyme and about a tsp of Celery salt. Topped up with water and simmered until the Potatoes were almost done... then added a few handfuls of frozen corn. Simmered until the corn and potatoes were done and added the fish chunks. Season with Black Pepper and a pinch of Chris' Tri-Thai powder and in about 10 minutes we have achieved chowder!
SANY0095.jpg

Serve it with some crusty bread, a garden salad and a fruit jar full of iced tea and I'm a happy man!

Rick that looks almost good enough to eat :) 2 questions though, what kind of fish did you use and did you thicken it any or did the potato starch take care of that?

Hi Bill
Cook the potatoes well enough and mash a few, and you don't need to add roux... We have an excellent family owned market here in Greenfield. They send a truck to Boston every day for fresh fish, and they do their own fileting. I got the cheapest fish I could, which in this case was scrod trimmings left over after fileting. Hey, it's mostly going to break down in the broth anyway, right? And there were still enough chunks of fish that you knew it was in there. One benefit of using tinned Anchovies to make the stock is that you don't need to add salt. If you want something without all the salt, go to an Asian market and get the dried Anchovies there. The Koreans don't salt them like the Europeans do, and it gives the stock a much more delicate flavor.

Got 3 pounds of country-style boneless pork ribs yesterday and thought I'd make pulled pork. Thinly sliced one of the Onions from my garden and put the slices in the bottom of my slow cooker. Seasoned the meat with Celery Salt and my homemade Chili powder and laid it on top of the Onion slices. Sliced a second onion and laid the slices on top of the meat. Gave it a few grinds of Black Pepper and poured a cup of Ginger Ale over all. Put on the lid and set the slow cooker for high heat for 8 hours.
SANY0096.jpg

When the meat's done I'll shred it with a couple of forks and stir in a cup or so of my homemade BBQ sauce made with smoked Jalapenos and cook another hour to meld the flavors. Serve on toasted, buttered Kaiser rolls.

Rick,
The Jalapeno sauce has a great color.!.............Left undiluted it would make a great "Doctor" to a home made Italian Pizza Sauce...

Greg

Rick,
The Jalapeno sauce has a great color.!.............Left undiluted it would make a great "Doctor" to a home made Italian Pizza Sauce...

Greg
I'm with ya there Greg! Once things cool off enough here I'll start baking bread again instead of buying it. It warms the house up too much in the summer. When I do start baking though, I'll often make a double batch of dough and use half to make a pizza for supper.

Pulled pork is done! just have to make some slaw and potato salad to go with it. Cheers!
SANY0097.jpg

Came home from work and found a package from Fernando, aka SocalChilehead... Oh... My....God...!!!
SANY0098.jpg

Thank you so much Fernando! I recognize the Fatali peppers and Peach Bhuts.., Do I see Douglah x Scorpions and Trinidad Red Scorpions too? Wow, what else is in here? You really pulled out the stops guy :onfire: Now I have to figure out what to make with them that's :hot: :dance:

That is one big box of pain Sticky Ricky. Those Douglah's are gonna burn that throat :hell: . Can't wait to see what you cook up with all those babies. Way to go Fernando. :dance:
:drooling:
And that pull pork has my mouth watering :P

The plants label fatalii ended up being the mystery peach pods and yellow bhuts strange the seeds came from the same bag they are still awesome flavor. Next I am growing the fatalii. 7 pod Burgundy (smooth dark pods), Yellow bhuts, Yellow scorpanero, Peach bhut, Chocolate scotch bonnet, Douglah, TS red, TS green, Butch T is the bigger red scorpion, 7 pod chaguanas #1, Giant white hab the pale yellow pod, Black Naga, Douglah x Butch T F3 (Butch T flavor), Pimenta de Neyde, and Aji Joe Mystery pepper (small red pods), and the dark and smooth yellow pod is Not TS moruoga but could be TS yellow. Dang I thought I added a 7 pod yellow and brain strain red and yellow. Glad you like it buddy can not wait to see what you do

Thanks for the ID Fernando!
I decided to change the supper menu on the fly... instead of potato salad, I made French Fries. Making the perfect frites isn't really that hard. The first thing is to cut the Potatoes small enough that they cook quickly and you get them nice and crispy on the outside, and nice and soft inside. Don't skimp on the oil... if you don't use enough, the fries cook too slowly, and make sure the oil is good and hot before adding the potatoes in small batches so you don't cool the oil off too much when adding the potatoes. Lastly, dry the potato pieces between a couple of dish towels and toss them in cornstarch before adding to the oil. Let 'em fry for a couple of minutes and give 'em a stir, because by now they're beginning to stick together... break them up and let 'em fry until beginning to turn golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain excess oil, and shake on some salt and/or your favorite pepper powder. I also like to give them a few squirts of malt vinegar and tuck in!
SANY0102.jpg

I put them into the oven to keep warm until my wife comes home for supper... Pulled Pork, Korean Radish Slaw (Mu Saengch'ae) and perfect French Fries!

Unfortunately, I don't have a deep-fry thermometer to tell when the oil is hot enough, so I have to throw a few in the oil and watch to see when it's hot enough, then throw in the first batch of potato pieces. This time though, I threw in a double handfull. They didn't cook quickly enough to make crispy fries, but no worries... I chopped up the Aji Joe Mystery Pods Fernando sent and added them with salt and malt vinegar for a snack for the cook...
SANY0099.jpg

SANY0100.jpg

SANY0101.jpg

That'll hold me until the wife gets in in an hour and a half or so... ;)

Had to work at my paying gig this morning... Time to process more peppers this afternoon. I cooked down another dozen orange habaneros with garlic, onion and carrot to make sauce,
IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

SANY0835.jpg

SANY0035.jpg

And cut up the Fatali peppers from Fernando to make an Apple-Fatali sauce. Same recipe as Apple-Habanero but substituted Fatalis.
IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

Sorry for the inconsistent pics... the wife is away for the weekend with a couple of her high school buddies and she took the good camera...
Have a good weekend all!

Went through my "seed bank" today and decided what to keep and what to toss, and also what my grow list will look like for next year. My wife shot down the idea of starting an Orange Manzano in the house in December, so it looks like I gotta find allies that will agree to be surrogates through the winter in return for half the harvest during the growing season... The rest is posted on my profile grow list. I also posted all the seeds I'm letting go of in the seeds for trade section and updated the seeds wanted section because of all you generous souls who shared some of your harvest with me... Cheers all

Love the sauce man glad your enjoying the pods I am starting to dry pods now, since I am going to wait another couple more weeks before I decide on a type of sauce or snack I want to make with them. I made watermelon and bhut powder water it was awesome for a good morning pickup. How much time do you have before your season end? I have some naga morich and red bhuts that are ripe I also just ordered some fatalii seeds from Judy I can send you half of the packet. Just pm

Love the sauce man glad your enjoying the pods I am starting to dry pods now, since I am going to wait another couple more weeks before I decide on a type of sauce or snack I want to make with them. I made watermelon and bhut powder water it was awesome for a good morning pickup. How much time do you have before your season end? I have some naga morich and red bhuts that are ripe I also just ordered some fatalii seeds from Judy I can send you half of the packet. Just pm
Hi Fernando
I'm lovin' the sauce I made with your Fatalis and some local Apples! It was a pretty simple sauce but very tasty! I can totally see this on ham, roasted meats and wild game. It'll also be great for making a quick chutney for curries. Just cook some cut-up fruit in it and add some Tamarind or vinegar for tang and you're there baby! I'll also be using it like Apple butter on pancakes and toast.

We're starting to get those clear, crisp days here that let you know that frost could come at any time. With luck, it may hold off 'til Columbus Day, so I've been working diligently to get in as many of the chiles as I can before then. My Mom lives an hour and a half away at a higher elevation, and she says she's gotten up on a couple of mornings lately and found frost on the roof. There was enough warmth radiating up from the ground that the plants didn't get any, but she's on notice, and we'll probably get it a week or two after she does. Cheers!

Back