• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Great sounding chili, Rick!

My OW plants look a little squeamish this time of year, too.  
Hard to dial the water in just right, but they will really get going
when the Spring gets here.  I also found I need to water more
often than I did last winter.  Can't wait for the warmer weather!

PaulG said:
Great sounding chili, Rick!

My OW plants look a little squeamish this time of year, too.  
Hard to dial the water in just right, but they will really get going
when the Spring gets here.  I also found I need to water more
often than I did last winter.  Can't wait for the warmer weather!

I hear ya Scott... I'm dealing with the learning curve over here too... :P  Winter's taking its time here... it'll be another 10 to 12 weeks before I plant outside, but I'm doing a lot of googling to pass the time and maybe learn some things that will help with this year's crop. For you New England pepperheads, here's a couple of useful URLs from the UMass extension...
http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plastic-mulch-and-row-covers
http://extension.umass.edu/vegetable/crops/pepper

Trippa said:
Rick I see you were interested in some seeds on Aji joes glog?? PM me I might be able to help you out

I appreciate the offer Trippa, but I'm so busy lately that my focus is pretty narrow. I don't even remember now what I might have said earlier, and my plate's full for this season anyway since I've agreed to help some folks grow out some 2nd and 4th generation plants in addition to my current grow list. Just not enough hours in a day... :rolleyes:

PeriPeri said:
Hey Rick, your chilli looks incredible and I will definitely try that recipe you posted - man that is just super cool! Thank you ;)

You're welcome to it Lourens... let me know what you think of it when/if you do.

My apologies to any of you whose glogs I haven't caught up/commented on lately... things are a little crazy right now, but hopefully they settle down a bit soon so I can get current on what's happening in THP-land...

Happy Friday eve all!

Hi All,
   The first round seedlings are looking pretty good about now. Some are growing faster than others, but all have grown out at least 4 nodes and are showing budding for side branches.
SANY0772_zps4c7bb52e.jpg

SANY0774_zps9bb0533d.jpg

SANY0773_zps5616b058.jpg

SANY0775_zps25e5fbef.jpg

SANY0776_zps5d5f59b2.jpg

SANY0777_zps5be4dd58.jpg

I've been working on greening up the yellow leaves on some of the seedlings, and a combination of light, weak epsom salt solution and adjusting the pH with Humic Acid derived by leaching leonardite... seems to be working.

Nice looking plants! :-)
Yellowing can be cured easily, they will be ok after a while.
I am also having issues with curling, distorted leaves, with strange stains on them....I do not know what the heck they can be, but I treated them with Calcium Nitrate foliar feed spiced up with some anti fungal stuff. Hopefully it will do the trick.
Last week we tried your Kitchen Sink Powder with my colleagues, and everybody loved it! They asked me today if I could get more...or make... It is definitely addictive :-))))

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
Nice looking plants! :-)
Yellowing can be cured easily, they will be ok after a while.
I am also having issues with curling, distorted leaves, with strange stains on them....I do not know what the heck they can be, but I treated them with Calcium Nitrate foliar feed spiced up with some anti fungal stuff. Hopefully it will do the trick.
Last week we tried your Kitchen Sink Powder with my colleagues, and everybody loved it! They asked me today if I could get more...or make... It is definitely addictive :-))))

Balázs

Spicegeist said:
Very nice.  Looks like they're in good hands.  Once it warms up outside, I'm sure they'll perk up in natural light and higher temps...

They look pretty happy... I just wish they looked greener, though I suppose when conditions are right they'll come around.
Good luck with your plants with the gnarly and "stained" leaves Balázs. The kitchen sink powder should be pretty easy to duplicate. I just smoked the pods for 2 hours with cherry wood, then dried and ground them. It's really no more complicated than that.
maximumcapsicum said:
Stems looks great Rick! How old are those guys? And what kind of lights are you using? Sorry if you already mentioned...

Round one seeds started popping around December 10th Adam. My cellar enclosure has a 4 foot T8 and 2 four foot T12s inside it.

Rick,

Plants are coming along nicely! And they look plenty green to me. The dark color you see in some of these plants in other glogs IMHO is T5 lighting. I say they will be fine.

Keep it green bro!

Jeff H said:
Plants look good Rick.

Pinoy83 said:
looking great brahhh

Thanks guys!

Round 2 seedlings should get individually potted up, I just haven't had the time just yet...
SANY0779_zpsebf9e94b.jpg

SANY0780_zpsd48b6548.jpg

SANY0781_zpsd5073cd7.jpg

Only one Peri Peri germinated but it looks pretty healthy... and look at that purple stem!
SANY0778_zps9d262148.jpg

Still waiting on the Tabasco, but by all accounts it's a very long season pepper that doesn't like to be cold at all, so I won't be put out if it doesn't germinate... more room for MoAs, eh?

Devv said:
Rick,

Plants are coming along nicely! And they look plenty green to me. The dark color you see in some of these plants in other glogs IMHO is T5 lighting. I say they will be fine.

Keep it green bro!

Thanks for the good vibe Scott!

Looking good Rick ..looking real good... Did I send you NTR seeds at all a season ago?? If so I really think they would be great for your climate ... Fast growing , juicy and great tasting , productive and slightly cold resistant ... Would make great addition to your powders I think. Anyway.. I was just thinking to myself about my grow and how much it would change growing in a climate like yours ... I admire your persistance and hard work ..

Devv said:
Seedlings are looking good too!

I'm in the same boat, I have a few that need to be separated too. Hoping to get caught up this weekend!

Good luck with that bro'... :)  I finally caught a break this weekend, but gotta use the time to catch up around the house and then get out to my Mom's to do some heavy lifting.

Trippa said:
Looking good Rick ..looking real good... Did I send you NTR seeds at all a season ago?? If so I really think they would be great for your climate ... Fast growing , juicy and great tasting , productive and slightly cold resistant ... Would make great addition to your powders I think. Anyway.. I was just thinking to myself about my grow and how much it would change growing in a climate like yours ... I admire your persistance and hard work ..

Cheers Tristan, I still have the NTR seeds, and after seeing your comments above will probably give them a try next season. Back at ya for persistence and hard work... your climate makes dealing with pests and an increased need for watering much more to the point than dealing with a short season. I guess we all just trade one set of problems with another when we move, eh?

maximumcapsicum said:
Thanks Rick! Based alot of my timing on your 2013 grow, though of course shooting for an April plantout... Always panic a little when I see the size of some folks starts!
Just keep on Adam, you're doing fine... :)  I'm actually shooting for an April plant-out date too, but exactly when in the month depends on the weather. The Old Farmer's Almanac predicts a cool, wet spring in southern New England this year... we'll see, won't we... ;)

Sweet Rick! You've got the germination thing nailed down this season! I haven't seen anything yellow enough to worry too much about. I think once the temps are a little more to their liking they'll green up just fine. Nice side branching tells me you're giving them some really good light too! I think this time of year breeds a little over-worrying in all of us when they don't look perfect...but they're growing and alive and look pretty damn good to me!!!

Back