• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Congrats on some fresh pods. While I'm here, I was wondering if you have grown or are growing Tien Tsin Peppers? Couldn't find it on your list. Maybe a different name? Was going to buy a dried pound online for $15.00. Was trying to get a sense of flavor. Making chile oil soon.

Thanks

Looking all good in here Rick!!   

No you don't need bread with Indian food ... but it sure helps ... especially a good homemade naan ... Its my cuisine of cooking choice and I have a great recipe book as well (Hardcover though ;)  )... I think a good recipe book for these types of cuisines are imperative to start things off.  Keep on growing Rick ... loving the ripening pods ... nice work!

OCD Chilehead said:
Congrats on some fresh pods. While I'm here, I was wondering if you have grown or are growing Tien Tsin Peppers? Couldn't find it on your list. Maybe a different name? Was going to buy a dried pound online for $15.00. Was trying to get a sense of flavor. Making chile oil soon.

Thanks

Sorry Chuck, I haven't ever grown them, but I understand they're the pepper of choice for Kung Pao Chicken... I've had plenty of that, but it was too busy with other flavors to give you an honest appraisal. $15 shouldn't break the bank though, so go for it! When you do, use toasted sesame oil, and take lots of pics... :)

Trippa said:
Looking all good in here Rick!!   

No you don't need bread with Indian food ... but it sure helps ... especially a good homemade naan ... Its my cuisine of cooking choice and I have a great recipe book as well (Hardcover though ;)  )... I think a good recipe book for these types of cuisines are imperative to start things off.  Keep on growing Rick ... loving the ripening pods ... nice work!

Thanks Tristan. :)  I love just about anything spicy, and Indian food is right up there.

This morning was a little too busy to post the Dawn Patrol pics earlier, but there's time now... It's a sunny, pleasant day today after a light rain last night. 74 degrees at 9:45am. The big news today is that the OW Douglah has started flowering.
IMAG0153_zps7fdac11d.jpg

The plant itself is a foot tall and a foot and a half wide, and looking very happy!
IMAG0157_zps9608debf.jpg

The Naga King is in full Godzilla mode. The plant is about a foot and a half tall and 2 and a half feet wide, and still growing all the time!
IMAG0154_zps46b9a776.jpg

BOCs are starting to reach out for a similar habit.
IMAG0156_zps582a881b.jpg

Chocolate Hab from a local nursery reaching up too
IMAG0158_zps4288591f.jpg

MoAs are all looking like this in their 5 gal. Airpots
IMAG0159_zps03b734df.jpg

Robust-pheno Chintexle podding up
IMAG0161_zpsbc2bd943.jpg

as are Shane's Texas Pequins
IMAG0162_zpscb71a228.jpg

This is turning out to be a great year for Poblanos! I'm gonna have to stake them well though... the stems and branches tend to be brittle.
IMAG0163_zpse5074229.jpg

A "non" shot to finish up... My wife's Melon plants have doubled in size since last week
IMAG0160_zps27c1457c.jpg

Have a great hump day all!

Thanks Rick. I think I will put them on my list grow list for next year. I usually grind 8oz of peppers and add it to a pot with a little oil. I then cook it until it turns dark in color, then I fill up the pot with the rest of 1gal peanut oil, and bring to a boil. I don't strain the peppers. I let it sit for a couple weeks before I use. Turns a dark red color. I have heard of a more paste oil. Mine is more liquid. If you have another method I'm open. I buy this paste that is chili, oil, garlic, and ground shrimp. That stuff is awesome.

Back to your glog. The plants are looking stellar. Congrats on the OW blossoms. Looks like you are going to have a lot of pods this year.

Have a great day

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Rick. I think I will put them on my list grow list for next year. I usually grind 8oz of peppers and add it to a pot with a little oil. I then cook it until it turns dark in color, then I fill up the pot with the rest of 1gal peanut oil, and bring to a boil. I don't strain the peppers. I let it sit for a couple weeks before I use. Turns a dark red color. I have heard of a more paste oil. Mine is more liquid. If you have another method I'm open. I buy this paste that is chili, oil, garlic, and ground shrimp. That stuff is awesome.

Back to your glog. The plants are looking stellar. Congrats on the OW blossoms. Looks like you are going to have a lot of pods this year.

Have a great day

Chuck

I usually use dried ripe Gochus and toasted sesame oil to make the hot oil for Asian food. IMHO, Pepper growing regions have their own terroir, and Korean peppers locally grown and sun-dried taste better than oven-dried Chinese peppers.

JJJessee said:
Man, your poblanos are layin' it down! About when did you start those? Mine are all plant and no pepper. Maybe they'll catch up.

I planted the seeds for the Poblanos in early March TJ... the same as all my Annuums (with the exception of the Kurtovska Kapija, which is a 100-day pepper). I can't think of what might be different between our local climates except that it's a bit cooler here for more of the early season.  God knows you got plenty of rain this year... I also spend a lot of time and effort building up the soil each year and spading in a generous base dressing of nutes before planting. I always add composted horse manure, composted kitchen scraps, Tomato Tone fertilizer, (and rock phosphate every 5 years). This year I also added Jersey Greensand and Azomite along with the rest. The Azomite adds a full compliment of trace elements, and the Greensand binds sandy soils like mine and adds potassium.

maximumcapsicum said:
This is looking wonderful Rick.

BTW I just popped some chicken into the your jerk recipe. Smells great so far. Will grill it up tomorrow and report!

Cool Adam... looking forward to your take on it... enjoy! :)

PeriPeri said:
Hey Ricky, looks like it is all coming along at the speed of light now. Great news about the PeriPeri and the Naga King. Can't wait for you to try those... they taste amazing. My absolute favourite ;)

Hi Lourens, the Annuums are certainly taking off... with a few exceptions, most of the others are still getting their feet underneath themselves for the big push. 

Got my first Poblano pod this afternoon, and enough Almapaprika to pickle a quarts worth.
IMAG0176_zps2365ea5e.jpg

MoAs still a ways off from ripening, but maybe in a couple-3 weeks..  interesting that most of them have stingers.
IMAG0165_zpsf87cee45.jpg

First Butch T. pod to set
IMAG0169_zps3a1c7ad4.jpg

It's hard to get a good pic of one of the baby Naga King pods... they're so white at the moment that they overpower the light receptors in the camera and blur the image. This one's about 2 inches long.
IMAG0170_zps6b4103b3.jpg

Guwahati Bhut set its first pod today too
IMAG0172_zpsd97fbea4.jpg

Yellow 7-pot
IMAG0168_zps35026c55.jpg

Manzano
IMAG0173_zps2d531522.jpg

IMAG0174_zps544e7a6c.jpg

and a "non" pic to finish... the Bluebirds deposited another egg in the nest.
IMAG0167_zps4902bab8.jpg

Happy Friday Eve all!

Trippa said:
How many weeks of warmer outdoor growing do you have left Rick? About 10-12?? Looks like you have things dialed in nicely this year and some more good harvests await..

Thanks Tristan. I'd say you're about right... 10 to 12 weeks for sure, maybe more if we get into "angel time".

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the pics. Congrats on the pod set. Nice little pull you got. Glad you get to do some pickling. MOA's and Manzano's looking good.

Have a good evening.

Thanks Chuck. I had enough Almapaprika to fill a quart canning jar with a few left over for a salad. These pickled peppers are as good or better than the pickled cherry peppers I used to get at the Italian sandwich shops as a kid.
IMAG0196_zps97bf3e59.jpg

Good night all!

Sheesh! I had to throw out most of the pics I took on my Dawn Patrol this morning... most were too blurry to include. These were the ones to make the cut...

A couple of typical pods from Smokemaster's Pequin, which I now suspect are a cross of some sort. The plants are very long and lanky, but are putting out lots of blossoms relative to its size.
IMAG0188_zpsd0699248.jpg

a better pic of some of the pods on what I think is a Chintexle cross... on the other plant, the pods have an upward habit, and are much smaller. These are pendant. I'll have to ask Spicegeist what was planted near the parent plant last year.
IMAG0185_zps3127f998.jpg

Aji Lemon plants are both beginning to sprawl, and load up with both flowers and pods! :dance: That's my size 11 boot there for comparison.
IMAG0186_zps312992d6.jpg

Today's pull... 3 Rapires Hot Wax pods. Unfortunately I had to throw out pics of pods on the Pritamin and Dedo de Moca that are showing signs of ripening. Looks like they'll be next! TGIF all!
IMAG0195_zps9949784c.jpg

Nice, Rick! Looking longingly at that quart of pickled Almas. (Pickled "souls."?) Yeah, what gives with KNaga's being white at first? But they do turn darker green, or mine did, what little able to get out and look yesterday. For second thought I had a lot of white bhuts (seed blunder) but not. Glad to see the sprawl on Aji Limon! Mine shot straight up once in dirt, worried me, then sprawled. Nice to see those wax waxing to picked! And of course, my manzano envy of you continues! ;) Am gonna try a "red rock" next year in pots to OW if necessary. Bluebird eggs are so pretty. Here, we have a few who visit, briefly, but only the meanest birds can compete with blue jays. OTH, bjs are dive-bombing--when they cease-fire on in-fight (for battle nourishment) the gardens for nasty bugs. BTW, what's difference with Guwahati Bhut and others? And LOVE, LOVE the BOC!!! :dance: Have a great Friday, sweetie!

stickman said:

Thanks Tristan. I'd say you're about right... 10 to 12 weeks for sure, maybe more if we get into "angel time".

Thanks Chuck. I had enough Almapaprika to fill a quart canning jar with a few left over for a salad. These pickled peppers are as good or better than the pickled cherry peppers I used to get at the Italian sandwich shops as a kid.
IMAG0177_zps0599b962.jpg

Good night all!

those look great, care to share your recipe?

Back