• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2015 - That's All She Wrote...

Hi All! It's been an incredibly busy winter dealing with one thing and another, and it's only about half over here. :rolleyes:  Still, it's time to get on the stick and put my seeds in the dirt in preparation for plant-out in another 12 weeks or so. I have a Manzano over-wintering inside that's going on its third year. It's next to a sliding glass door with a great southern exposure but the light it gets here this time of year is pretty paltry... I expect it'll start to perk up sometime in March. I have a couple of MoA Scotch Bonnets over-wintering at a friend's house because there wasn't space in front of the sliding glass door for them and my wife's indoor plants... the deal is that if they both survive the winter, we'll split the plants. If not, he'll keep the one that lives. That seems fair since he did all the work. ;)

The rest of the list is looking like this...

Pubiscens Varieties
Total bust this year... nothing that germinated survived.

Baccatum:
Ditto

Frutascens:
Tabasco
Hawaiian Bird chile

Chacoense:
Ditto

Chinense:
7-pot Yellow Turned out to be a red "Not"
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Beni Highlands... Also turned out to be a "Not"... maybe a Mako Akokrosade cross?
Ja Hab
Trinidad Perfume
Zavory

Annuum:
Cabe Rawit (mouse turd pepper, in Singapore where the seeds were collected they're called Cili Padi)
Red Thai
Biggie Chile Anaheim

Poblano Gigantia
Jalapeno Ciclon
Jalapeno Tormenta
Serrano Tampiqueno
Hungarian Hot Wax
Almapaprika
Ethiopian Brown Berbere

I'll also be planting a sweet Criolla de Cucina plants and about 20 sweet Kurtovska Kapijas. The Kapijas have the longest growing and ripening times of any Annuum I know, but they're big, meaty sweet peppers that average around a half a pound apiece... just the thing for making that eastern european condiment called Ajvar.

Too tired to say more now, but will pick up later... Cheers!

Thank you ! and i sure do my friend probably started a little early , started jan.1st. and kinda paying for it now. their getting huge and room is shrinking . wouldn't be to bad if it only start  to warm up some  then they can go to the green house . just happen to get cabin fever and jumped the gun lol 

moruga welder said:
Thank you ! and i sure do my friend probably started a little early , started jan.1st. and kinda paying for it now. their getting huge and room is shrinking . wouldn't be to bad if it only start  to warm up some  then they can go to the green house . just happen to get cabin fever and jumped the gun lol 

Yup, the "shack nasties" will bite you on the a** every time... ;)  We've all been there, and some of us never left. Lol!

moruga welder said:
I've done this before, and like stickman says, "some of us never left", I did it again this year. Told myself I was going to have 20 plants and how many seedlings will I have? About 80. Thankfully, I have folks at work who will keep and grow out my extras. It's an odd sort of addiction, isn't it? lol

sure is , had the same thought 2 varieties 30 plants and boom !  15 varieties 70 plants ! i like the addiction tho . not a lot of years left and only one grow per year , so gotta make each one count ! lol      to many strains  to choose from !    :onfire:

do you  ( meinchoh ) or stickman top your plants  ? 

I did top one last season but lost track of which one it was!! lol..I had a Primo that exceeded five feet, so I doubt that was it  ;) ..I'll mark it this year.

meinchoh said:
I've done this before, and like stickman says, "some of us never left", I did it again this year. Told myself I was going to have 20 plants and how many seedlings will I have? About 80. Thankfully, I have folks at work who will keep and grow out my extras. It's an odd sort of addiction, isn't it? lol

Heh, heh... s'right brother. My name is Rick and I'm a pepperhead...  Reading all the glogs and cooking threads here can make you want to try everything if you're the enthusiastic sort.

moruga welder said:
sure is , had the same thought 2 varieties 30 plants and boom !  15 varieties 70 plants ! i like the addiction tho . not a lot of years left and only one grow per year , so gotta make each one count ! lol      to many strains  to choose from !    :onfire:

do you  ( meinchoh ) or stickman top your plants  ? 

Not always Frank, but if they look like they're getting too leggy I'll let them grow out at least 3 nodes and clip the primary growth to force the axillary nodes. To see how far you can take this check out Spicy Chicken's 2014 glog.

stickman said:

S'right Jason... from your mouth to God's ear, eh? ;)

Yes they are Charles, last year was the first time I ever grew Bhuts and I liked them so much that I'll be growing at least a few from now on. I remember you grew a lot of different Bhut varieties last year... what was your favorite for a balanced blend of heat and flavor?

I had a couple.  I thought the Guwahati was pretty nice.  I crossed that with another bhut that I had, called it Better Bhut, a few people should be growing that this year...

stickman said:

Heh, heh... s'right brother. My name is Rick and I'm a pepperhead...  Reading all the glogs and cooking threads here can make you want to try everything if you're the enthusiastic sort.

Not always Frank, but if they look like they're getting too leggy I'll let them grow out at least 3 nodes and clip the primary growth to force the axillary nodes. To see how far you can take this check out Spicy Chicken's 2014 glog.
yeh got bitten my friend , hell of a pepper bug at that !  will do ( check out spicy's blog ) thanks sure appreciate it .  might have to top some soon . getting big and no sign of any warmer days soon . 
meinchoh said:
I did top one last season but lost track of which one it was!! lol..I had a Primo that exceeded five feet, so I doubt that was it  ;) ..I'll mark it this year.
lol its not hard to lose one in the patch ! nice to meet you Rick 

moruga welder said:
yeh got bitten my friend , hell of a pepper bug at that !  will do ( check out spicy's blog ) thanks sure appreciate it .  might have to top some soon . getting big and no sign of any warmer days soon . 

lol its not hard to lose one in the patch ! nice to meet you Rick 

Cheers Frank, don't be a stranger. :)

Spicegeist said:

I had a couple.  I thought the Guwahati was pretty nice.  I crossed that with another bhut that I had, called it Better Bhut, a few people should be growing that this year...

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one to see how it does for you. I liked the Guwahati Bhuts too, but I think I liked the King Naga a little more. Thanks for the input! :)

thanks Rick , i just got done looking at spicy chickens 2014 grow Glog . very impressive ! he has a nice grow op , and he tops also . couldn't quite make out if he waits till they fork then cut ?  i need to check out his 2013 grow . sounds as if he goes through it step by step and  some thing or somebody did it wrong . will check it out tomorrow .  gotta get up at 4:30 for work , monday already . nice to meet you and i will be sure to keep in touch . frank

Plants looking good Rick. I grew Syrian Marjoram (Origanum syriacum) last year. I've kept the plant dry in an unheated greenhouse this year. Hope it pulls through. The plant is also known as Za'atar as far as I know. 

ronniedeb said:
Plants looking good Rick. I grew Syrian Marjoram (Origanum syriacum) last year. I've kept the plant dry in an unheated greenhouse this year. Hope it pulls through. The plant is also known as Za'atar as far as I know. 

That's what I hear too as far as the name goes Ronan. Hope your plant revives this spring! I think a blend of Za'atar and Chile flakes is the perfect accompaniment to pizza and flatbreads. I'll probably experiment with using it in Naan.

The Kurtovska Kapijas are starting to come up gangbusters... 17 hooks this morning and no doubt there'll be more when I get back home tonight!
SANY0177_zpspuehdr7h.jpg

meinchoh said:

Guilty :oops:  Again this year, I have well over 100 started. I only have room for about 1/2 of what I am starting so I'll have some tough choices to make in a few months.

All the seedlings are looking Great Rick. Keep it up. 

Moar food pics too.

Jeff H said:

Guilty :oops:  Again this year, I have well over 100 started. I only have room for about 1/2 of what I am starting so I'll have some tough choices to make in a few months.

All the seedlings are looking Great Rick. Keep it up. 

Moar food pics too.

Cheers Jeff. :)

Three more Kurtovska Kapija hooks tonight for a germination rate of 28% after 7 days.

stickman said:

Cheers Jeff. :)

Three more Kurtovska Kapija hooks tonight for a germination rate of 28% after 7 days.

Wait, you had 17 hooks yesterday. More today and you're still only at 28%. How many of these sweet peppers did you start and how many are going in the dirt at you're garden?

Jeff H said:

Wait, you had 17 hooks yesterday. More today and you're still only at 28%. How many of these sweet peppers did you start and how many are going in the dirt at you're garden?

I started 72 seeds Jeff... I really love Ajvar! :) I always start more seeds than I'm going to actually plant out, but I was hoping for at least 50 plants. I'll probably transplant at least 16 here at my place, but the bulk of them will go to my Mom's. She loves them too! She saves out the ripe peppers for me and I make the Ajvar and split the canned product with her. The best part is that it's the only pepper variety grown within a couple of miles of her place, so these collected heirloom seeds always grow true. Anyway... 6 more hooks this morning for 36% on the Kapijas.

Back