• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2015 - That's All She Wrote...

Hi All! It's been an incredibly busy winter dealing with one thing and another, and it's only about half over here. :rolleyes:  Still, it's time to get on the stick and put my seeds in the dirt in preparation for plant-out in another 12 weeks or so. I have a Manzano over-wintering inside that's going on its third year. It's next to a sliding glass door with a great southern exposure but the light it gets here this time of year is pretty paltry... I expect it'll start to perk up sometime in March. I have a couple of MoA Scotch Bonnets over-wintering at a friend's house because there wasn't space in front of the sliding glass door for them and my wife's indoor plants... the deal is that if they both survive the winter, we'll split the plants. If not, he'll keep the one that lives. That seems fair since he did all the work. ;)

The rest of the list is looking like this...

Pubiscens Varieties
Total bust this year... nothing that germinated survived.

Baccatum:
Ditto

Frutascens:
Tabasco
Hawaiian Bird chile

Chacoense:
Ditto

Chinense:
7-pot Yellow Turned out to be a red "Not"
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Beni Highlands... Also turned out to be a "Not"... maybe a Mako Akokrosade cross?
Ja Hab
Trinidad Perfume
Zavory

Annuum:
Cabe Rawit (mouse turd pepper, in Singapore where the seeds were collected they're called Cili Padi)
Red Thai
Biggie Chile Anaheim

Poblano Gigantia
Jalapeno Ciclon
Jalapeno Tormenta
Serrano Tampiqueno
Hungarian Hot Wax
Almapaprika
Ethiopian Brown Berbere

I'll also be planting a sweet Criolla de Cucina plants and about 20 sweet Kurtovska Kapijas. The Kapijas have the longest growing and ripening times of any Annuum I know, but they're big, meaty sweet peppers that average around a half a pound apiece... just the thing for making that eastern european condiment called Ajvar.

Too tired to say more now, but will pick up later... Cheers!

Hi Rick been thinking of you for awhile now.
I hope all is well & you & your family are having a merry christmas .
A new year is upon us people are preparing there 2016 grow list & some have already started there glogs
I have one more variety or two lol to order going to start Jan 18th or Feb
Best of luck in your 2016 season

Hi Folks!
     It's been quite a roller-coaster ride since the end of the season. Lots of personal and professional changes happening and the glog got away from me for a while. It's time to put away 2015 and look forward to the coming growing season where I will be growing more vegetables to put away for next winter, and concentrating on growing about 40 Gochu plants for making gochugaru to sell to the local co-op market. I'll still be planting Bhuts, Scotch Bonnets, Jalapenos and the red Rocoto cutting I got from FreeporrtBum which is potted up inside and blossoming at the moment.
SANY1051_zpswvauhned.jpg

SANY1050_zpsj1fgndol.jpg

That's all for 2015... I hope to see your glogs in 2016 though I think I'll skip my own. Take care all, and God bless.  :) 

stickman said:
Hi Folks!
     It's been quite a roller-coaster ride since the end of the season. Lots of personal and professional changes happening and the glog got away from me for a while. It's time to put away 2015 and look forward to the coming growing season where I will be growing more vegetables to put away for next winter, and concentrating on growing about 40 Gochu plants for making gochugaru to sell to the local co-op market. I'll still be planting Bhuts, Scotch Bonnets, Jalapenos and the red Rocoto cutting I got from FreeporrtBum which is potted up inside and blossoming at the moment.
SANY1051_zpswvauhned.jpg

SANY1050_zpsj1fgndol.jpg

That's all for 2015... I hope to see your glogs in 2016 though I think I'll skip my own. Take care all, and God bless.  :)
Hi Rick good to see you post again my friend. Hope all is well with you and yours. Very cool to see that rocoto clone I sent still chugging along, I have a feeling it will provide you with a great harvest this year. All the best in 2016. cheers

stickman said:
Hi Folks!

What are your thoughts about what to grow and put away for the winter?

tctenten said:
Hey Rick, nice to see you back. Hopefully some of the changes were good for you. Good luck with your plans for 2016.

Cheers Terry, and the same right back atcha! :)

FreeportBum said:
Hi Rick good to see you post again my friend. Hope all is well with you and yours. Very cool to see that rocoto clone I sent still chugging along, I have a feeling it will provide you with a great harvest this year. All the best in 2016. cheers

That's my hope as well! It seems to have a very "whippy" habit... like the stems wouldn't support much weight. I suspect it'll sprawl unless supported by a trellis of some kind. Is that your experience? Thanks for the good vibe, and good luck with your own garden this year!

roper2008 said:
Nice to see you back.  Good Luck with your growing season Rick.

Thanks Linda, and the same to you! If you're still interested in growing Gochu peppers, Kitazawa Seed Co. in Oakland, CA is selling 2 heirloom varieties imported from Korea this year. One is called "Lady Choi" and the other is called "Lady Hermit." I've been mostly growing commercial hybrids up to now, but having Heirloom varieties to grow, I'll definitely be saving the seed to replant next year.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_525-104.html
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_526-104.html

Jeff H said:

What are your thoughts about what to grow and put away for the winter?

Hi Jeff!   It's whatever your tastes decide, what grows well where you are and how you intend to preserve it. For me, I'm thinking French Filet Beans for canning and making "Dilly Beans", Lucinato Kale, Onion tops, 2 varieties of Cherry Tomatoes and some Korean Ho Bak Squash for drying, Detroit Dark Red Beets, Nantes-type Carrots and Plum Tomatoes for canning. Cukes and Cipollini Onions to pickle, Snow Peas, Swiss Chard and more Ho Bak Squash to freeze. I may try burying some Carrots and Beets in a tub of damp sand in our unheated basement in lieu of digging a root cellar up against the foundation outside.

neoguy said:
Glad to see you posting again. I hope all is well.

Cheers Dan! They're going well enough... hope the same with you. :)

Hey, Rick - hope to see a 2016 grow log from you this year.  I'm doing one,
but each year it seems to get a little smaller.  I'll probably post a few pics
as the season goes on.  

Good luck as you head forth into the 2016 season, my friend.

PaulG said:
Hey, Rick - hope to see a 2016 grow log from you this year.  I'm doing one,
but each year it seems to get a little smaller.  I'll probably post a few pics
as the season goes on.  

Good luck as you head forth into the 2016 season, my friend.

Cheers brother Paul! I'm not planning on a glog in 2016, but I suppose I can be persuaded to put up one with a minimalist approach like you mention if folks are interested in hearing about my experience growing Gochus. I hope you have good success this season!

Hi rick had to revise my grow into a mini grow but there is the tomato grow my pepper grow companion glog in other
I sowed P Dreadie Select & T7 Terminator SB ( Trinidad SB Unknown Trinidad 7 Pot second time on them)
I changed the growing medium & put perlite in but I don't feel good vibs on them geminating hope I am wrong.
I have 8 Red Moa's & Two Arkansas Peach Reapers they are all doing good but all other germination attempts have been a lost was using MG Starter mix
I plan to start soon Aji Penec & Ancient Sweet focus on growing for my pepper Jelly recipe & hoping to take the ox hearts to the farmers market maybe some bonnets if they produce like the yellow moas did last year.
That's about it for now still hitting my head on this brick wall I've came up against
Best of luck to you on your endeavors in 2016

Rickster!!! Hey brudda, looks as though I will finally get back stateside just to get sent right back out to the land of the gochu...I will keep you posted once I get back stateside but prior to my trip to Korea to see if you want me to try to find anything while there ;)

stc3248 said:
Rickster!!! Hey brudda, looks as though I will finally get back stateside just to get sent right back out to the land of the gochu...I will keep you posted once I get back stateside but prior to my trip to Korea to see if you want me to try to find anything while there ;)

Howdy Chief! How the heck are ya! Pretty cool you're gonna be headed out to the R.O.K. after a little time home with the family.  :party:  Do you know what time of year they'll be sending you there? Koreans cuisine is very reflective of the growing seasons, and I could make some suggestions of things to try if I knew when you're gonna be there.
Trident chilli said:
All the best Rick for this season's grow as always I will be following your glog
Cheers John! Good luck in 2016!

stc3248 said:
Late March-early April. We shall see...

Cool! Early spring is a time when the Koreans really groove on wild greens. You might want to try Bibimbap made with Fernbracken (gosari), Lamb's Quarters (Myeongaju) and shredded Bellflower root (Toraji). One of the things that really makes the dish is the spicy sauce made with gochujang that they put on top. Just mix it all together and have at it! There are a couple of seaside towns near Pusan that have Snow Crab festivals in early spring, since that's when they're in season, and they'll put that in there as well. My all-time favorite Korean dish is pan-fried spicy Squid (Ojingeo Bokkeum).  :drooling:  Octopus (Nakji Bokkeum) cooked in the same sauce is just as good, and the sauce can be quite spicy when it's made with gochugaru, gochujang and fresh, ripe gochus. The other ingredients include fresh ginger, garlic, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, scallions and a bit of sugar. The combination is downright synergistic! If you really want to challenge yourself... probably one of the strongest foods the Koreans eat is fermented Skate (Hongeo). It's probably the strongest ammonia smell I've ever come across outside of Limburger cheese. The Koreans say it smells like Hell but tastes like Heaven. I personally couldn't get it past my nose... I don't like Limburger either, but the Koreans say it's a great pick-me-up if you're feeling tired. Not good hangover food though... ;)

Back