• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

Hi All,    I finally planted the last of my Nightshades this morning. I'll probably buy a few more seedlings later in the season but the list of what I have planted is:

Gochus:    Lady Hermit
                 Lady Choi
                 Korea Winner
                 Saeng Cho

Other Annuums:   El Jefe Jalapeno
                            Jalafuego Jalapeno
                            Wild Collected Texas Pequins
                            Kurtovska Kapijas  (Of Course!)
                            Hungarian Pimientos

Chinense:   MoA Scotch Bonnets
                   King Nagas
                   Guwahati Bhuts

Pubiscens:    Red Rocoto... Over-wintered clone from Wafflebum

I also planted 3 varieties of Plum Tomatoes for sauces... Speckled Romas, Orange Banana and an early blight resistant hybrid from Johnny's Seeds called Plum Regal, Tula Black Slicing Tomatoes and Sungold Cherry Tomatoes for fresh use, and both Red Fig Pear Tomatoes and Principe Borghese Cherry Tomatoes for drying in the solar dehydrator. Instead of planting the large Italian-type Eggplants this year, I decided to plant a smaller variety with the same shape... a Hybrid from Johnny's Seeds called Ophelia.

Now that I've got them all planted I need to set up my raised beds in the community garden and the low row cover behind the house for hardening off. Moving right along!

stickman said:
Hi All,    I finally planted the last of my Nightshades this morning. I'll probably buy a few more seedlings later in the season but the list of what I have planted is:

Gochus:    Lady Hermit
                 Lady Choi
                 Korea Winner
                 Saeng Cho

Other Annuums:   El Jefe Jalapeno
                            Jalafuego Jalapeno
                            Wild Collected Texas Pequins
                            Kurtovska Kapijas  (Of Course!)
                            Hungarian Pimientos

Chinense:   MoA Scotch Bonnets
                   King Nagas
                   Guwahati Bhuts

Pubiscens:    Red Rocoto... Over-wintered clone from Wafflebum

I also planted 3 varieties of Plum Tomatoes for sauces... Speckled Romas, Orange Banana and an early blight resistant hybrid from Johnny's Seeds called Plum Regal, Tula Black Slicing Tomatoes and Sungold Cherry Tomatoes for fresh use, and both Red Fig Pear Tomatoes and Principe Borghese Cherry Tomatoes for drying in the solar dehydrator. Instead of planting the large Italian-type Eggplants this year, I decided to plant a smaller variety with the same shape... a Hybrid from Johnny's Seeds called Ophelia.

Now that I've got them all planted I need to set up my raised beds in the community garden and the low row cover behind the house for hardening off. Moving right along!
Hi Rick great list of some tasty eaters you have there. I'm growing the jalafeugo also this year, I'm told it's a great plant. Looking forward to seeing how the rocoto clone does for you this year. Cheers

Devv said:
Good to see you back in action Rick!

Keep it green!

Cheers Scott! good to be back aboard. :)

FreeportBum said:
Hi Rick great list of some tasty eaters you have there. I'm growing the jalafeugo also this year, I'm told it's a great plant. Looking forward to seeing how the rocoto clone does for you this year. Cheers

Hi D... I'm all about the flavor for sure! Definitely looking forward to checking out the Rocoto clone this year myself. I was reading Paul Bosland's comments in The Complete Chile Pepper Book on growing Pubiscens chiles in our more northerly latitudes, and he said that they seem to do better here if you grow them for a season first before trying to get a harvest out of them in the following season. That's what this clone will be doing, so it seems to be on track for now.

2 weeks after sowing I've got a tray and a half of 3-inch peat pots with sprouted Gochus in them. One variety, the Lady Hermit from Kitazawa Seeds seems to have a very low germination percentage. I planted a whole tray of them and only got 2 pots that germinated. I'll let them ride for another week or so before pitching them, but I've started another half a tray of other varieties to hedge my bets. The first round was planted in year-old Pro-Mix, and the newest sowing is in a 50-50 blend of the Pro-Mix and Coco Coir on the theory that it'll let in more air to the young plants and be easier for the older seed to put roots through it. It'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

bpiela said:
What is your source for the Gochu seeds?  Best of luck with your grow!

Hi Ben!  Most of my new seeds are from Kitazawa Seeds in Oakland, CA... those are a couple of heirloom varieties called Lady Choi and Lady Hermit.   http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_526-104.html  I also planted some Korea Winner hybrids from Evergreen Seeds   http://www.evergreenseeds.com/hotpephybkor.html   , some Po Cheong from Trippa, Teng Cho and Saeng Cho seeds collected in a Korean farmer's market by BootsieB and some Cheon Wu Shin Jo hybrids from Pinoy83. With the exception of the heirloom varieties I got this year from Kitazawa seeds and the ones BootsieB sent me last year, the rest are all at least 2-3 years old. I notice that the Hippy Seed Co in Australia is selling seeds for the hottest Korean Variety... the one called Cheungyang.

I think another reason some people have such a hard time with pubes is due to variety selection and what that particular cultivar likes.
Some punes at least for me do well in full sun while others like my yellow manzano refuse to set pods and wilts in the sun. Put the yellow manzano in full shade and it sets pods like crazy. Best of luck on your last round of germination.

Cheers

Hey, Giancarlo's in the house... Thanks for dropping by buddy! I'm feeling much more fit now, if not quite down to fighting weight... :)

FreeportBum said:
I think another reason some people have such a hard time with pubes is due to variety selection and what that particular cultivar likes.
Some pubes at least for me do well in full sun while others like my yellow manzano refuse to set pods and wilts in the sun. Put the yellow manzano in full shade and it sets pods like crazy. Best of luck on your last round of germination.

Cheers

Thanks for dropping by D! Ya... Pubes can be finicky. I think because they grow in such narrow microclimates. They're equatorial mountain peppers originally, so they're used to at least 12 hours of high-angle sunlight and cooler temperatures than down below, but not cold enough to freeze. Do you think your Manzano might be a cross? I grew a Yellow Manzano I got from Shane (stc3248) for 3 years before I replaced it with your clone, and it did best in full sun. I also notice a difference in pod shape. My Manzano was a slightly flattened Golden Delicious apple shape and your pics show something more egg-shaped.

I like your grow list Rick.  Lots of Korean peppers, no doubt for your Kim Chi...I see you are growing Sang Cho.  I have a few seedling of this one from a seed 
train.  Never tried it before.  I do like bootsieB description of it as a lower heat pepper.

roper2008 said:
I like your grow list Rick.  Lots of Korean peppers, no doubt for your Kim Chi...I see you are growing Sang Cho.  I have a few seedling of this one from a seed 
train.  Never tried it before.  I do like bootsieB description of it as a lower heat pepper.

Hi Linda! Thanks for stopping by! We'll have to compare notes on the Saeng Cho pods when they come in. :)  I love the earthy, sweet Paprika-like flavor of the sun-dried Gochus, so I'll always keep them on hand. They're the perfect balance of flavor and heat for me. I have my  favorites for other things... Scotch Bonnets for Jerk, or Peach jam... Bhuts for powder or infused vegetable oil... Jalapenos and Serranos for salsa and curries... Anaheims, Anchos and Pasillas for Moles and enchilada sauces... Habaneros and Scorpions for bottled sauces...    but Gochus are really my first pepper love. :drooling:

roper2008 said:
You are a good cook and know how to cook many things.  Me, not that great of a cook, but not terrible.  I do really need to learn how to use my peppers, besides 
pepper jelly and powder.  

When you're ready, you'll figure it out I'm sure. If you want, I'm always happy to answer questions. :)

Of the heirloom gochus, the Saeng Cho had the best germination percentages... I planted 3 seeds per pot and transplanted the extras to their own pot for 13 plants out of 9 pots started. I did the same with the 4-year-old Korea Winner seeds and got 7 plants out of 9 pots. I planted one Lady Choi seed per pot in a tray of 18 pots for 7 plants in the tray. The real under-performer was the Lady Hermit. 2 seeds germinated for 2/18 pots, and I snapped the stem of one, so I only have 1/18 left. I want to get at least 40 Gochu plants in the ground this season, so I diversified a bit and planted 3 pots of Po Cheong, 3 pots of Ttaeng Cho and 3 pots of Cheon Wu Shin Jo in the second round with 4 seeds per pot.    Tomatoes and Eggplants are doing excellent! Everything is just Cotys at this point except for the Principe Borghese cherry tomatoes that are getting their first set of true leaves. Not much to show there, but the OW Rocoto is doing just fine...
SANY0993_zpsuncv0vsw.jpg

Cool Pic D! Ya... they look just like mine did. Did you by chance have your plants hooked up to a drip irrigation system? I did, and I'm wondering if that's what made the difference. Cheers!

Hey there, I certainly do!! ;)  Lots of peppers, tomatoes and will be starting beans and cukes this week. Now if only our weather up here would stay warm, although I cant plant out until May 24th here ;)

Penny said:
Hey there, I certainly do!! ;)  Lots of peppers, tomatoes and will be starting beans and cukes this week. Now if only our weather up here would stay warm, although I cant plant out until May 24th here ;)

Very cool that you're starting lots of tomatoes and peppers! Have you ever tried growing eggplants? I suppose I could start the cukes and beans indoors, but I don't have the room, so I'll end up direct seeding them outside when it warms up enough here... probably in another 2-3 weeks... 4 on the outside. It's been a crazy spring. :rolleyes:

Very good germination on the Saeng Cho Gochus... I'm up to 16 seedlings. After that are the Korea Winner Gochus at 13 plants, Lady Choi Gochus at 8 plants and another Lady Hermit Gochu popped to make 2 of them. In the next couple of days I hope to get enough Gochus to fill two 1020 trays and 4 spares. The darker soil is straight Pro-Mix, and the browner soil is the 50-50 blend of Pro-Mix and Coco Coir that I put the extra sprouts into so each plant would have its own pot. I've been watering the new seedlings with RapidStart nutes to help develop the roots, and using dilute 10-20-10 for the established plants.
SANY1090_zps24afc8yg.jpg

SANY1091_zps9geheabp.jpg

Nice to be able to catch up Rick.I am always interested in your cooking and green thumb updates.I understand your weight loss issue.With my right hip on the way to a surgery table.I had no choice but to drop a few lb's so I would not stain it more than I already was.Good thing I like fish,because I ate a hell of a lot of it buddy.I will be checking in to see how you are doing. ;)

Back