• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Hi all! It's early days yet but things are looking good so far. I've got all of the round-1 seedlings planted in pots with a 50/50 mix of coco coir and ProMix BMX. I like the combination of sterile medium, good water retention and plenty of air for the roots to develop in. I'm watering with the same solution I have in the Aerogarden... 
SANY1991.JPG
SANY1990.JPG

After I've used up the current batch of nutes, I'll be adding Potassium Silicate to the mix.
SANY1989.JPG

Randy's Cross
SANY1984.JPG

Giant Yellow CARDI Scorpion
SANY1985.JPG

Piment Cabri
SANY1986.JPG

And the Aji Oro... hairy little scrap of a thing. :)
SANY1992.JPG

It'll probably be another week before the round-2 seeds start to sprout. Have a great weekend all!

randyp said:
Outstanding Rick.Those seedlings look happy.I bought an automatic thermostat to run my seeds this year.The temp in my incubator was 87 when i left for work and 86.9 when I got off work 10 hours later.So when I screw up my germ rates, fluctuation in temps won't be the problem.
I got one of those heat mat thermostats a couple of years ago and was never happy with it. Maybe I should have exchanged it for another. Nice that you've got that part of the equasion dialed in.

Masher said:
Looking great stick, congrats :cheers:

Cheers Dan! I made a Thai coconut curry last night that you probably would have liked. It had some homemade red curry paste I made with my Thai pepper harvest a couple of years ago, coconut milk, peanut butter, scallions, cilantro, pork tenderloin and lime juice to finish. It's hot enough to really make you sweat but too good to put down! :drooling:

randyp said:
Rick this is my thermostat setup.I have the mat plugged into the unit.I set unit to give power when temp hits ,,86 and shut off at 89.
This is my first ever uploaded pic from my phone.lol
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170204_163748911.jpg

I'm-a hafta look at my thermostat Randy... I see your rig has a thermocouple to tell the thermostat how hot the mat is, and I'm not just sure if mine has one. Maybe the reason mine never worked is that the thermocouple is either wonky or missing. Cheers!

No holding you back, now, Rick!  
The seedlings look just right.

I'm going to have to look into the
Si thing - I've seen it appear on 
several grow logs this season.

Buena suerte, amigo   :cheers:

PaulG said:
No holding you back, now, Rick!  
The seedlings look just right.

I'm going to have to look into the
Si thing - I've seen it appear on 
several grow logs this season.

Buena suerte, amigo   :cheers:

Cheers Paul! They're growing a noticeable amount every day... D(irt)-day will be here before we know it. :)

From what I've read, Si deficiency is mostly an issue with grows in hydroponic or soil-less mediums, but not exclusively. Time ran out before I could do a real thorough sampling of my growing soil to have it tested, but I'll definitely do it as early in the growing season as I can. That aught to tell me if Si deficiency is a problem in my soil or not. Meanwhile, I'm adding it to the liquid nutes in the Aerogarden to try to make up for the lack at this most critical phase in the life of the seedlings. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46810-anyone-using-potassium-silicate-on-their-plants/#entry988952

Okay, Rick, after reading the thread you linked above,
I've decided to give it a try.  I usually use some molasses
during the grow season, as well, I wonder if they are 
compatible or not   :think:

PaulG said:
Okay, Rick, after reading the thread you linked above,
I've decided to give it a try.  I usually use some molasses
during the grow season, as well, I wonder if they are 
compatible or not   :think:

I really couldn't say definitively Paul, but molasses and Potassium Silicate are usually only added in small doses, so I don't see a problem. Looking at the 420 sites, I see that a mix of 10% rice hulls to potting soil is recommended as an organic silicate additive. The silicate becomes available to the seedlings in a well-buffered way as the rice hulls rot and they also add humus to the soil.

For the newcomers... to avoid nute lockout I wouldn't do anything that would increase NPK over 10% (by dry weight not volume,) and I don't add Nitrogen after my chiles start to blossom. Bear in mind that too much molasses acts as an herbicide by upsetting the osmotic gradient and drying the plants out.

OCD Chilehead said:
Some good info. Sounds like things are coming along.

S'right brother! Looking in on the Aerogarden, I see radicles from the P. Dreadie and MoA Bonnets. It looks like the last holdout is the Alphanerdz Douglah. Just to hedge my bets, I also planted a few seeds from Randy's 2016 Douglah, but it's the Alphanerdz strain I really want to keep it going. 

The seedling from John's (Trident Chillis) Scotch Brain has three cotys. It looks healthy though, and I hope it makes it to maturity.
0208171405.jpg

The others that have sprouted, from youngest to oldest...

Aji Oro
0208171410b.jpg

Piment Cabri
0208171410a.jpg

Giant Yellow CARDI Scorpion
0208171410.jpg

and lastly, Randy's "Not" cross
0208171409.jpg

What a world it is... yesterday sleet and freezing rain with an eighth of an inch of black ice over everything and today is sunny and warm with temperatures in the upper 40s. Go figure...

Devv said:
Your babies are looking stellar Rick! Keep up the good work! ;)

The weather, crazy this winter isn't it?
You ain't just a-woofin' Scott! There's usually a back-and-forth dance temperature-wise, but not so skewed toward the warm end. I think I'd rather have the snow than the ice. The good news today is that I see radicles from some of the Alphanerdz Douglahs. I tried again with some more Forbing Naga seeds, but if those don't produce I'll have to get a Bhut or Naga plant somewhere else. Cheers all!

Trident chilli said:
Nice photography Rick ... great pictures and update
Cheers John! your seeds have all shown good germination percentages and are looking quite happy...thanks again!

The first MoA to pop
0209171407.jpg

and a better pic of the Scotch Brain with three cotys.
0209171408.jpg

15:20 update... we got about 8 inches of snow today after a sunny day with a 47 degree high yesterday. It's 19 degrees now with blowing and drifting snow... much more seasonal. :rolleyes:

Hi folks, here are today's new arrivals...

Papa Dreadie Select SB
0210171808b.jpg

and Alphanerdz-strain Douglah
0210171809a.jpg

Still waiting for another P. Dreadie and MoA Bonnet to pop, and of course I'd like to see a Forbing Naga too, but if it's not to be I have a friend locally who started some King Naga seeds and has enough to share.

Have a great weekend all... Thank God it's Friday!

Back