• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

roper2008 said:
I have grown the Vesena peppers, but find them not to have high production.  It could be me, and not the 
peppers though.  I do like them because they are so very sweet, and hot, at least for me.
I ordered the Mini Piperka from Refining Fire Chili's.  Smaller, but suppose to be more productive.  If you
want to try some of these mini ones pm me.  They sent me a lot more than 10 seeds.

Hi Linda, thanks for dropping by! Thanks also for the input on the Vesena peppers and your kind offer to share some of your mini Piperka chiles. After reading what you said about Vesena not being very productive I wonder if it's a trait of the variety. I couldn't even get mine to sprout so they may have a low germination percentage as well. That being said, maybe you'll need those seeds to get a few to germinate yourself, so I'll pass, but thanks for the offer! :)

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Looking forward to following along again this season Rick!

You're certainly on top of the soil side of things, you're plants won't have much to complain about!

All The Best, TBG.

Cheers Nev! You're not doing badly yourself... nice job with the vermicomposting. :)

Not lazy, mind you....OK, shit yes, I'm gonna call lazy.

If you and Scott want to come up and "do" my dirt (boy does THAT sound wrong :shocked: ), I'll take y'all fishing. No, really. Fishing. Let that sink in; f----I---s----h---I-n--g--------

I know.... :crazy:

Have a great season anyway....

stickman said:

Hi Linda, thanks for dropping by! Thanks also for the input on the Vesena peppers and your kind offer to share some of your mini Piperka chiles. After reading what you said about Vesena not being very productive I wonder if it's a trait of the variety. I couldn't even get mine to sprout so they may have a low germination percentage as well. That being said, maybe you'll need those seeds to get a few to germinate yourself, so I'll pass, but thanks for the offer! :)

I purchased the ones from Baker Creek, I think 2016, you should get germination out of them.  Good Luck

Genetikx said:
There is just a wealth of information in here Rick. Lots of links to read through and bookmark. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to your progress.
Cheers Ryan! ☺

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Heh... Sounds tempting... Are you anywhere near the Pere Marquett river?

Cheers Eric, and thanks for the good vibe! [emoji106]

Hi folks I'ts almost time to start my Chinense seedlings... I'll be soaking half of them in coconut water and half in water with a little vinegar to see which helps the most with germination and using the wet paper towel method before transplanting to the Aero-garden. I have the most basic Aero-garden model with only six cells in it, but I'm planning on ten Chinense plants in my raised pepper garden and I want to start them all at once, so I'll be modifying the top with a piece of sheet styrofoam to add four more cells. I'm only growing the seedlings out to the third node before transplanting into solo cups, so I'm not too worried about them getting too crowded in there.

The Chinense list looks like:

MoA Bonnets x 2
Hippy Seed co Yellow Trinidad Scorpion x 2
Douglah x 2
Bhut x 2
PDN x Bonda ma Jaques purple
PDN x Bonda ma Jaques white

The PDN/Bonda crosses are from Trippa and PaulG. I saved the seeds from my biggest MoA pods last year, and those'll be the ones I start this year.

Cheers all!

Devv said:
Good luck with them!
Thanks Scott! I've got all of my amendments in hand except for the copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate and sodium molybdate. The copper and moly are on order... Still looking for an affordable supplier for the cobalt. If no ag-grade suppliers present themselves I'll have to go with a reagent-grade product that's more expensive. A pound of it would probably last me at least 5 years since my raised beds total a bit under 500 sq ft and the amounts needed are so small.

stickman said:
Thanks Scott! I've got all of my amendments in hand except for the copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate and sodium molybdate. The copper and moly are on order... Still looking for an affordable supplier for the cobalt. If no ag-grade suppliers present themselves I'll have to go with a reagent-grade product that's more expensive. A pound of it would probably last me at least 5 years since my raised beds total a bit under 500 sq ft and the amounts needed are so small.

I should find out next week where I stand, I may just be bugging you for sources ;)

Devv said:

I should find out next week where I stand, I may just be bugging you for sources ;)

Sure thing Scott! I have a deal with the homesteaders I work with to buy a portion of what they have on hand at cost. Their source for many organic nutes is this place... https://flipbook.brandbits.com/b8e6e27e5e/index.html
  The organic products section starts on page 116. Still trying to locate the Cobalt Sulfate... we haven't heard back from everyone yet. If you find a place where we can get Ag-grade Cobalt Sulfate Heptahydrate or chelated Cobalt solution let us know please?

Rick it's been awhile.Daughter is opening a business in our small town,my factory job is still taking pieces out of me and age is an obstacle that we face every day.I won't be doing a grow log this year,as my 2017 log was an embarrassment because I did not put the time in to keep it up.I still can't go without reaching and keeping up with the guys I have the upmost respect for,Scott"dew" terry,Paul and a few others.Rick you are one of the smartest guys I have had the privilege of getting to know.I love following your grows because there is always a great chance I will learn something.Hope u don't mind me posting a couple pics.I made this DIY Aerogarden to give it a shot for some seeds this year.My test seeds came up so I feel good about putting the main grow seeds in and feel confident I won't kill them before they have a chance.I did this after watching u last year and your recommendation to build one.Anyway buddy thanks for all u do.

Aero in action
IMG_20180114_212135740_HDR.jpg

Top view with mg kit bought to hijack the net pot
IMG_20180106_092905530.jpg

Test cubes 'mg peat pods' and 'rockwool'
IMG_20180114_090503731.jpg

Inside the simple "deep water"setup
IMG_20180106_094217743.jpg

Thanks for your input Randy, it's all grist for the mill. [emoji106] Sorry to hear you're slowing down, but the glass is still half full since you're not ready for a dirt nap yet, eh?[emoji6] Will you be helping your daughter with her new business?

What dimensions did you use for the plastic tub in your hydro seed starter? Did you use a standard aquarium air pump and air stone inside? I have a 4 ft light fixture with four 6500k t5 flourescent tubes to set up overhead, so lights we have. I'm thinking of getting ply-scor and 2x2s to build a more permanent growbox, insulating it with sheet foam and installing a thermostically-controlled ceramic/electric heater inside on a seperate timer than the lights. The idea is to have the lights inside the growbox so waste heat from them will warm the inside of the box. When the timer shuts off the lights, another one for the heater will kick on. That's the plan anyway. I can't afford a grow tent.
Cheers!

Back