• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

Essegi said:
Hey Rick, how are you?
I see things are getting more serious than ever!
Good luck and eager too see more!

Hey, Giancarlo! Good to hear from you buddy! Things are just fine here... the winter still has at least 6 more weeks to go, but I'll get my grow underway this weekend and will be ready to amend the raised beds as soon as the soil can be worked sometime in March or early April. I'll have to look for your 2018 grow to see how things are on your end. Cheers!

Devv said:
Some serious goodies in the line up Rick!
Cheers Scott... Nearly there for the amendments... Next is getting seeds for the new varieties I don't already have in hand. I'm down with the Yellow Brainstrain throwdown, so one minor change to the Chinense grow list... I'll start one TS Yellow and one Yellow Brainstrain instead of two TS Yellows. Hopefully I'll get the seeds from Guru before Sunday.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Walchit said:
Have you looked into that blumat? That would be nice if they would water 15 gallon pots. I'm definitely interested to see those in action

The hydro shop where I heard about them has a 25 gallon smart pot set up with the Blumat system running off a 5 gal. pail as the reservoir. I'll have to get pics the next time I go there.

Blumat works fine and it has been tested in the Finnish chili forum, but dont let any of that algae stop the flow and it will take about a week for the system to start working fine for tomato, cucumber or chili.

Chilidude said:
Blumat works fine and it has been tested in the Finnish chili forum, but dont let any of that algae stop the flow and it will take about a week for the system to start working fine for tomato, cucumber or chili.
Thanks for your input Janne. ☺ have you used them yourself?

Devv said:
Good to see you're in the Growdown, it's a fun grow!

Cheers Scott... I had a good time with the biggest Bonnet grow last year though I'm not much for talking smack. ;)  I see lots of folks have a good head start, but I think I can catch up quick with good soil and good weather.

stickman said:
Thanks for your input Janne. ☺ have you used them yourself?

No experience on my part, but did feel them a few times in the local shop. ;) Still prefer hand watering myself, but they do work based on the texts and had been used for watering many as 30 chilis at the same time during the summer time for many years from up to 400 litre flexitank. Before first use soak them really well with water and need some beginning tinkering to adjust the water flow to your taste. You also want minimum of one meter height difference from the tank to the intended target and some small air hole or valve in the tank for the build up under pressure to not stop the flow of water and never let the water tank run dry. They say one of those Blumat carrots are enough to water 10 litre pot in a greenhouse.

If you use a fertilizer solution with this system, dont use any of the more natural fertilizers in it because the algae likes it very much.

Chilidude said:

No experience on my part, but did feel them a few times in the local shop. ;) Still prefer hand watering myself, but they do work based on the texts and had been used for watering many as 30 chilis at the same time during the summer time for many years from up to 400 litre flexitank. Before first use soak them really well with water and need some beginning tinkering to adjust the water flow to your taste. You also want minimum of one meter height difference from the tank to the intended target and some small air hole or valve in the tank for the build up under pressure to not stop the flow of water and never let the water tank run dry. They say one of those Blumat carrots are enough to water 10 litre pot in a greenhouse.

If you use a fertilizer solution with this system, dont use any of the more natural fertilizers in it because the algae likes it very much.
Thanks Janne! The online literature looked promising, but hands-on experience is best for deciding wether or not to purchase. When you say that using the system with a fertilizer solution seems to promote algae growth, do you know if that would happen if I applied it externally as a soil drench, or would that just be if you mixed it into the water in the reservoir? If I couldn't even use the system together with a weekly soil drench, that would be a deal-breaker for me.
Cheers!

stickman said:
Thanks Janne! The online literature looked promising, but hands-on experience is best for deciding wether or not to purchase. When you say that using the system with a fertilizer solution seems to promote algae growth, do you know if that would happen if I applied it externally as a soil drench, or would that just be if you mixed it into the water in the reservoir? If I couldn't even use the system together with a weekly soil drench, that would be a deal-breaker for me.
Cheers!

Using fertilizer solution in the tank is fine, as long as you use a tank that doest penetrate any sunlight at all, to not entice the algae to grow in the tank. However you can always clean the tank if you detect, that the system is not working right for some reason.  Of course you can fill the tank with just regular rainwater and fertilize the pots with the soil drench thing too. The Blumat carrots will stop dripping out any water at all before they detect the soil is enough dry after your soil drench, so there is very little fear of overwatering.

Chilidude said:

Using fertilizer solution in the tank is fine, as long as you use a tank that doest penetrate any sunlight at all, to not entice the algae to grow in the tank. However you can always clean the tank if you detect, that the system is not working right for some reason.  Of course you can fill the tank with just regular rainwater and fertilize the pots with the soil drench thing too. The Blumat carrots will stop dripping out any water at all before they detect the soil is enough dry after your soil drench, so there is very little fear of overwatering.
Actually, I was thinking of caking on the carrots from the soil drench nutes interfering with their water absorbtion. Some of the folks in our southwest have soils with excess alkalinity that cake up like that and interfere with drip irrigation systems.

stickman said:
Actually, I was thinking of caking on the carrots from the soil drench nutes interfering with their water absorbtion. Some of the folks in our southwest have soils with excess alkalinity that cake up like that and interfere with drip irrigation systems.

Good for you then, you do just that. :rofl:

Hi all!    I'm still waiting for Yellow Brainstrain seeds from Pepper Guru for the Growdown Throwdown, but here are the rest of the varieties I'm planting this season...

0203181011.jpg

The blurry ones that are hard to read in the lower left are TS Yellow from Hippy Seed Co, Goat's Weed and seeds I saved from last year's Bhuts. At the top are wild-collected Pequins from stc3248 and C. Praetermissum from SpiceGeist. Not sure what type of pepper is in the Asia Seed company packet... I got it from my sister along with some other Asian veggie seeds, but I hope it'll be some kind of Gochu. I'll start the Chinense varieties in the Aerogarden tomorrow to eventually plant out in the raised bed behind the house, and the Annuums will be started at the end of the month to eventually plant out in the raised beds in the veggie garden. Can't wait to get stuck in!

Devv said:
I'm hoping you get most excellent germ rates ;)

Cheers Scott... from your mouth to God's ear, eh? :)

While my Wife was having her hen party, I made a cheapjack modification to my 6-cell aerogarden to make it a 12-cell version.

The original top
0204181416.jpg

I traced the top onto a half-inch sheet of styrofoam reclaimed from the produce section of the local market, notched the edge all around so it had a good fit, and heated one end of a inch and a quarter conduit elbow to melt the holes for the cages that hold the seed-starting sponges.
0204181420.jpg

The finished product. It looks a little rough around the edges 'cause I cut it out with a coping saw, but the notched edges were cut with a sharp utility blade. The holes came out perfect!
0204181416a.jpg

I dug a seed heat mat out of storage and loaded up some 2 oz condiment cups with the Chinense seeds. With each variety I soaked three seeds in each cup, two cups for each variety... half in reconstituted coconut water and half in acidulated water with Fulvic acid. Tomorrow after work I'll get them in with the damp paper towels on the heat mat and this show is finally on the road!
0204181624.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Back