• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Still wondering about coffee bags for growing

How do you think jute bags (burlap) that coffee beans come in would do as a grow sack? They are not as tight of a weave as the commercial fabric bags and I am not sure how they would do as far as mold, etc. The reason I ask is that I can get them for free at work. They are big but cutting them in half would probably yield a pot of about 20 gallons or so in size I would think.
Pepper-Guru, what do you think? Is the weave not tight enough to air prune?

Thanks Noah, I am just wondering if roots might protrude out the sides whether that is good or bad?
Maybe I will try one and experiment, God knows I have enough compost. ;)

We lined some wire baskets, and some wicker baskets with a couple layers of loose weave burlap last year.
We then added soil...and grew flowers in them...
Worked pretty good, but it does dry out faster than regular pots.

IMAG1836_zps9d81b09d.jpg

They might come out but thats what air pruning is for. They will prune and become fibrous inside. The might grow into the ground but id be ok with that.

Pmd,

They should work great, prob as good as any of the commercial products. The difference is probably only in their long term durability... I would expect a season out of them, and then it's probably time for the compost pile, but they are free so...

The only other thing to maybe consider would be some added support in case they break down quicker than expected...like maybe using an old cheapy tomato cage inserted in the ground, then put the bean bag in the cage and cuff it over the top if that makes sense... Something to help give the bag a little structure and support.

Thanks spyrweb77. I may have to put it in something like you suggested as the bags are not round at the bottom so I don't know how well it will sit on the ground. I would like it moveable as the location of my peppers is not ideal for sunlight so I move them when I can.

The Permaculture Podcast had a guest on recently talking about his compost company. He said that they still have to use plastic bags for their product because compostable materials like burlap composted too quickly. I'm not sure how long the shelf life was before that happens, but it is something to keep in mind.

I think you're right to only try it on one this year. Make sure to let us know how it works out!

I might double them up, but if you have gophers or moles you might think about wire under them.    burlapIs is hemp and will brake down some what fast so I would think one year would be Max but if you made wire frames it could be a way for you to save a bit of money over the years.    

Back