• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Stinky Spicy Sauce

Summer is here, time to make sambal terasi. Why? Because you don't want to cook terasi/belacan indoor. Believe me! Especially if you live in the apartment, smell so bad and your neighbors might call 911, but don't worry when is cooked smell so good.
Yo can buy terasi/belacan in Chinese grocery, usually made in Malaysia and if you're lucky, you can find roasted from Indonesia.

There is a lot of variations, but sambal terasi should be pungent, savory, not refreshing, so adjust the quantity of ingredients accordingly. Don't worry if smell terasi, your sambal is authentic!
below is the quicky version that I like:

Ingredients:
2t terasi/belacan
1t kosher salt
1t sugar
2T oil (Used one even better)
1/2 med onion, sliced
1/4 ripe tomato, sliced
1 clove of garlic
1/2 lime
10 bird chillies
Few lime basil leaves.

Step:
1. Slice terasi thinly, wrap with foil. Arrange it so only one layer to make it cook faster. Wash your hand if you don't use glove. Cook on the grill flip few times until dry, usually take about 10 -15 minutes. Cool down. Now smell different!
2. (Optional) grind them, keep it in jar for winter.
3. Brown the onion, keep it aside
4. Use pestle and mortar to crush garlic, chillies, add salt, sugar, terasi until smooth add browned onion (with the oil too), tomatoes, and lime juice continue for a bit (you want chunk onion and tomatoes.
5. Garnish with lime basil

When I was a kid, I couldn't eat spicy, so after made for adults, my mom didn't wash the pestle and mortar, replace the bird chillies with big one (don't know the name) that not spicy at all.

The longer version, you have to fry with low heat separately (onion,garlic, peppers, tomatoes) grind them, put it together and reduce until thick.

Enjoy!

Interesting.....especially after googling "terasi/belacan"....

Thanks for sharing~

Back